Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Pitchers at 1/2000

andyz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pitchers at 1/2000

I love the expressions that are captured when you get a pitcher straining every muscle they have and contorting themselves to get that pitch off.

I did some post work on this, playing with some of the new tools NIK gave me with D-fine. This isn't a huge stretch, but it isn't one I'd print, just one I liked. Thought I'd share.

Canon EOS-1D Mark III    420mm    f/4.5    1/2500s    250 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Mar 28, 2013 at 01:40 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pitchers at 1/2000

Andy....the one downside to the image is that it shows it was shot during warm-ups. Also on the outfield fence....it looks like there are vertical lines that may be indicative of banding issues similar to the image in the link.

There is also a dark spot in on the right side of his neck....possible dust spot.

Mar 28, 2013 at 03:04 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pitchers at 1/2000

The shot was during warm ups, you got that right. I'm sure you saw the player behind him. The fence is full of vertical lines in reality, but I will have to look at my sensor. Thanks for bringing that dust spot to my attention. Time to break out my blower perhaps. Lately I've been shooting so much wide open I haven't noticed dust. I took a break between innings and went behind the catcher, changed the aperture to try and get the pitcher and ball sharp. Then I stayed here for an inning as it was fun. I was shooting thru a fence but it was a welcome relief from standing next to the dugout where they have the photogs placed.

Mar 28, 2013 at 03:21 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pitchers at 1/2000

Wow...I am not sure it is banding in reality. It could be the fence, but for ISO 250 I am seeing a lot of just plain noise. At ISO 250 I would expect more of a smoother result. I am guessing a 300 2.8 with 1.4x TC on it? But I would still expect a cleaner image from a Mark III. Is this a heavy crop?

Mar 28, 2013 at 04:29 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pitchers at 1/2000

Some noise may be emphasized by the NIK software I just started with. I'm unsure and I'm bad about noise as it is. After Friday night football games I'm more accepting than many. Yes it is a 300 with a 1.4. Here is the original resized to 800 px on the long side.

I do wonder about my D III (if I should have it looked at by Canon for focus) and am not sure if it is still operator headspace using the camera, or the camera itself. I would expect more sharp shots than I get when shooting the pitcher from the side. That is one reason I went head on. Images were sharper so maybe it's me. In any case, here is the original.

Canon EOS-1D Mark III    420mm    f/4.5    1/2500s    250 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Mar 28, 2013 at 04:43 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pitchers at 1/2000

Were you shooting through a fence or net? or were you on the field? This last version of the image looks much better than the posted one. Looking at it again, it almost looks like it was resized (first image) to small, then upsized some making it looked less like a ISO 250 shot.

Mar 28, 2013 at 06:30 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pitchers at 1/2000

Something is definitely going on with the processing.

Mar 28, 2013 at 06:37 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pitchers at 1/2000

Shot through a net, black. In post I would have cropped, then (trying to remember) likely used PS6 on levels, and I believe is was about when I got a NIK email and installed D-fine which I'd have tried for sharpening. Since I was just "playing" I didn't save the PSD file.

To post here I'd resize the image down and lower the quality for size.

Mar 28, 2013 at 06:58 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pitchers at 1/2000

What steps would you take, if you can share, in post?

Mar 28, 2013 at 06:59 PM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pitchers at 1/2000

I personally like the original better. Up the shadows a little bit, maybe bump the exposure a tad, crop, sharpen (assuming it's a RAW file).

Mar 28, 2013 at 07:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DPC1
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pitchers at 1/2000

Great capture Andy!!

What are your plans for this image?

The reason I ask is because a few minutes in photoshop to remove the player in the background and dust bunny by the pitcher's neck will give it a totally different feel.

Mar 28, 2013 at 08:23 PM
PShizzy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pitchers at 1/2000

This feels a bit oversharpened to me. I'd consider being a bit more selective. A mask in photoshop might work, as there are large fields of green that could immediately be masked out. And lightrooms mask tool is actually pretty good given that it autodetects edges as you brush stuff. and the brush can do clone or heal as well, which would take care of that sensor spot.

Got a RAW file I could look at? Also, I've been considering this for a while, just never had the time: Would people be interested in something like a UStream where I'd just play with photoshop on a file that was audience submitted? I'm noone special when it comes to Photoshop, but I've been using it long enough to show some basics. Same for LR.

Just some thoughts.

Mar 29, 2013 at 08:22 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pitchers at 1/2000

Would be interested in a UStream but when I shoot sports I more often shoot max JPG, not RAW as I don't generally plan on doing much post, file size, buffer use, all the normal reasons.

Happy to send you the JPG. It is just over 7MB.

Mar 29, 2013 at 09:26 PM
RandyR
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pitchers at 1/2000

cool face but the image looks over sharpened

and there appears to be a big dust bunny near his neck

Mar 30, 2013 at 09:13 AM
PShizzy
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pitchers at 1/2000

Quick hit with a modified version of PAS (PShizzy Action Set). Actually had to dust off CS4 to use it, since the modified version requires two third party plugins (Noise Ninja, and Alien Skin Exposure)

Did the dust bunny removal with clone stamp, across all channels to try to get the grain to match.

Apr 01, 2013 at 06:09 PM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pitchers at 1/2000

Here's my take. Increased the shadows a considerable amount, increased the blacks a little bit, +2 clarity and little bit of sharpening and a little bit of noise reduction (noise on the shirt).

Apr 01, 2013 at 10:42 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pitchers at 1/2000

Those edits by yous guys are money. Smooth, sharp, and punchy.

Apr 01, 2013 at 10:54 PM
PShizzy
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Pitchers at 1/2000

Appreciate it. The file itself isn't bad. Image was sharp, I didn't adjust WB or anything radical. I literally cropped, went Elmer Fudd on the dust bunny, then did a Noise Ninja pass for noise removal AND sharpening, though I toned it down since the image was sharp as is, but wanted to resolve a little so the noise reduction didn't soften it too much. After that used Alien Skin Exposure with the Fuji Velvia look. resize for web and done. Hardest part was remember which version of CS I had the plugins on. I've since moved onto LR.

Apr 01, 2013 at 11:10 PM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Pitchers at 1/2000

I dislike the heavy noise removal look as well as the Alien skin thing. Just keep it simple.

Apr 01, 2013 at 11:32 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Pitchers at 1/2000

I agree I over sharpened although I liked it in the face. Might try a redo with less in the face but selective to just the face. Thanks for the directions here.

Do you normally shoot all your sports RAW?

Why would I have so much noise at ISO 250, the 1.4 extender, the over sharpening? It was near 80 that day - I was sunburned, is heat a factor? It'll be hotter than that soon.

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:46 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password