Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · insurance for the non-pro?

jerrykur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · insurance for the non-pro?

HI,

My separate insurance policy with State Farm is up for renewal and I want to consider other options. I am not a professional but have accumulated a lot of gear. Worse yet I add or change out gear quite a bit. My State Farm policy is a bit klunky in adding or removing gear. I would prefer a policy that handled the following better:

1. Adding or removing items
  2. Travel to foreign countries
  3. Coverage of gear loaned or rented

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jerry

Mar 28, 2013 at 07:57 AM
JimboCin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · insurance for the non-pro?

Jerry:

Consider joining PPA - www.ppa.com . You don't need to be a professional to join. Cost is $323 per year.

One of their benefits is Photocare Equipment Insurance.

It meets your item #1, as you don't need to list the equipment that is insured. You are covered up to a maximum of $15,000.

Item #2 is covered.

I don't know about your item #3, but I did not see anything in the contract that specifically excluded it. You can take a look at the contract here. You can also call the agent at 888-202-1526.

Jim

Edited on Mar 28, 2013 at 08:22 AM · View previous versions

Mar 28, 2013 at 08:12 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · insurance for the non-pro?

I also have Statefarm and I agree about the adding/removing aspect of the policy. There should be an online way of doing it yourself or something similarly easy. I am also interested in what others have to offer.

Mar 28, 2013 at 08:13 AM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · insurance for the non-pro?

It should be as simple as emailing your agent with the changes to add/remove items listed. If not you need a new agent. I'm a insurance broker by trade I'd suggest you contact a local independent agent to shop the markets for you, tell him your criteria and he'll come back with options. Then also get a renewal from st farm and I'd suggest another high quality direct writer like liberty mutual. That way your to one sure to get the best deal. If you just want a stand alone for your photo gear their are a couple of speciality carriers and brokers out there you can use (google it). As for travel you shouldn't have a problem unless st farm has some wacky exclusion for personal property. Most personal property is covered worldwide save for the countries on the state department terror watch list. Your last item will be difficult, to be honest you're better off just buying the insurance from the rental agency you use. It's obviously got some limitations, but its the cheapest and most effective way to go. I am not sure if the specialty photo industry carriers offer an extension to rented gear but you could check that out

Mar 28, 2013 at 09:11 AM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · insurance for the non-pro?

I have to agree with robbymack above about the agent - when I change my state farm policy, I go to the agent, she shows me on her screen what I have on the list, I say "strike this, this, and this, add these", and hand her a list of gear, serial numbers, and copies of bill-of-sale. Within a couple of weeks I get either a refund or a bill...I think that's pretty simple.
Jerry

Mar 28, 2013 at 09:25 AM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · insurance for the non-pro?

Yeah, my State farm policy is easy to change. I call him and tell him to add or remove the items and he does so. Just give him the new serial numbers and values. Never once have I been asked for a copy of the "proof of purchase".

For example I bought a new Sigma 35mm and sold a 300 f/4L. As I was sending the Sigma out for calibration yesterday i called my agent and told him to remove the 300L and to add the 35mm and gave the new serial number. A few weeks later I get a notice in the mail of additions to my coverage list.

Mar 28, 2013 at 09:57 AM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · insurance for the non-pro?

I have Allstate and move things around each year with no problem.

Mar 28, 2013 at 03:31 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · insurance for the non-pro?

jerrykur wrote:
HI,

My separate insurance policy with State Farm is up for renewal and I want to consider other options. I am not a professional but have accumulated a lot of gear. Worse yet I add or change out gear quite a bit. My State Farm policy is a bit klunky in adding or removing gear. I would prefer a policy that handled the following better:

1. Adding or removing items
  2. Travel to foreign countries
  3. Coverage of gear loaned or rented

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jerry

What sort of State Farm policy do you have? Their personal articles one covers anything, anywhere and it's trivial to add or remove items from.

(It might depend on the agent though. In NC they were a breeze to work with. Now that I am in NJ the local guy is being a real pain and doesn't even want to offer coverage claiming I need to get home/car from him too and that NJ is not NC and the risks are so much higher (gimme a break, where I was in NC had break ins all the time, where I am in NJ people wander the streets at 2AM without fear).)

Edited on Mar 28, 2013 at 05:27 PM · View previous versions

Mar 28, 2013 at 05:24 PM
Charlie K.
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · insurance for the non-pro?

+1 for State Farm. I find it very easy to add and subtract items from my policy with just a phone call.

Mar 28, 2013 at 05:25 PM
Todd Ryburn
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · insurance for the non-pro?

I also have State Farm (PAP). I add and subtract items all the time with a simple email to them.

Mar 28, 2013 at 05:31 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · insurance for the non-pro?

I have just switched to State Farm. All in all there was little difference with the policy I had which was through Tom Pickard. The only plus was that it was 1/3rd less and I did not have to produce the item or serial. It was a global cost for the amount I picked. I did verify and it is Global Coverage. Yes it is a Business policy for replacement value.

Mar 28, 2013 at 05:45 PM
radioman301

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · insurance for the non-pro?

Went to State Farm to get (PAP). Boy was it fun. Took 3 months and 2 tries to finally get it I hope. Though I was going to have to produce a birth certificate as well as all receipts and serial numbers and model numbers. They did not like the used 500 at all.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:39 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · insurance for the non-pro?

Check out "Package Choice" from Hill & Usher. Policy is underwritten by The Hartford...

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:42 PM
_SBS_
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · insurance for the non-pro?

I would NEVER add insurance coverage for photography onto an existing home insurance policy. Too many folks have been dropped from their home owners insurance because they collected on photograph equipment loses. No other major carrier will pick you up after getting dropped from another major insurance carrier. So its high rates for at least 3 years till the major insurance carriers will look at you again.

Not worth it.

Always get a separate policy from a different insurance company to cover your photography assets. Actually this goes for any other large assets as well (a lot of jewelry, art, home business etc).

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:31 AM
akriegsfeld
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · insurance for the non-pro?

I use MARSH Insurance. Just call them up to change things. I insure about $10,000 worth of equipment. Cost around $250.00 year.

Terry Curtis
CSSII
Marsh U.S. Consumer
(Affinity & Private Client Solutions a Service of Seabury & Smith, Inc.)
12421 Meredith Dr. Attn: PF1, Urbandale, IA 50398
Fax: 515-365-3005
Phone: 800-588-7518

Mar 29, 2013 at 08:19 AM
ebiggs
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · insurance for the non-pro?

Doesn't your standard home owners cover it? I have State Farm and my 400mm "L" was stolen. My home owners covered it and I bought the 100-400mm "L" zoom. We also have the umbrella policy with $1,000,000 coverage on liability. It is only about $100 bucks a year.
I have all my gear listed with CPS, so there is plenty of validation on my equipment.

Mar 29, 2013 at 08:48 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · insurance for the non-pro?

ebiggs wrote:
Doesn't your standard home owners cover it? I have State Farm and my 400mm "L" was stolen. My home owners covered it and I bought the 100-400mm "L" zoom. We also have the umbrella policy with $1,000,000 coverage on liability. It is only about $100 bucks a year.
I have all my gear listed with CPS, so there is plenty of validation on my equipment.

But doesn't that risk messing with your home owners policy? And dont they often have deductibles and out of country restrictions and this and that?

PAP covers ANYTHING, heck you toss it into a pit of acid in Antarctica and it is covered and there is zero deductible and no other rates you have can get hurt.

Mar 29, 2013 at 09:12 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · insurance for the non-pro?

radioman301 wrote:
Went to State Farm to get (PAP). Boy was it fun. Took 3 months and 2 tries to finally get it I hope. Though I was going to have to produce a birth certificate as well as all receipts and serial numbers and model numbers. They did not like the used 500 at all.

it really depends on the agent. State Farm in Chapel Hill were wonderful to work with for the PAP! But man this local NJ agent is being a total.... I think I will have to try the next closest location.

Mar 29, 2013 at 09:13 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · insurance for the non-pro?

I have a separate USAA policy and I can go online at any time and add or delete items. I can see the cost adjustment online and they follow it up in writing, adjusting my next bill. The deductible can be different between the two policies. I think the item has to be worth $100 or more for the inclusion on this policy, however.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:08 PM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · insurance for the non-pro?

How much per $1,000 is this costing you guys? I am paying about $17 per $1,000 through State Farm, but this is for personal and not business use. An example above for $250 a year for $10,000 in coverage is about $25 per $1k, but is that for business, and would that cover a loaner?

I'll gladly pay a little more for insurance if it will cover a CPS loaner and still cover me if I happen to ever start selling some of my stuff.

Apr 01, 2013 at 10:15 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.