Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · A few comments on the Fuji X100S

wolfloid
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · A few comments on the Fuji X100S

I've been using this camera for the last few days and really still need to get used to it. My other digital camera is a 5DII, which I often use with the CV 40/2 Ultron - as compact a tool as I've so far been able to settle on and still maintain high level IQ and excellent usability.

The reason for buying the X100S is to have something lighter that I can have with me more often.

I can't really comment on IQ yet - though early results seem good, I can though say a few things about ergonomics and usability that I haven't seen specifically mentioned so far in any reviews.

I like the camera very much overall and feel strongly positive about the way it works - it is generally excellent to use, but there some odd lapses when compared to the 5D II that I'm used to. Here they are:

1. I'm used to using the AF button on the Canon to separate focusing and metering, when using auto focus - it is my preferred shooting method, as it is for many others. Unfortunately this is not possible with the X100s. The best that can be done is either use the AF button to lock focus and meter with the shutter release, or to use manual focus mode and use the AF button to catch focus. The problem with the latter is that in MF it is not possible to use the corrected AF frame - so there is room for parallax focus problems unless one then checks focus with one of the MF focusing aids, which can slow things down somewhat.

I would much prefer to be able to focus with the AF button and have the shutter release focusing disabled as on the 5D II.

2. The rear screen is not particularly good. a).It does not have an automatic brightness control - only an on/off for sunlight mode. Off is mostly just too dark, and on is often too bright. b) magnification is only 5x or thereabouts and is not adequate to check focus. Why this does not magnify to 10x or to 100% I really can't understand. Perhaps this is something that can be improved in a firmware update.

3. I'm experimenting with using the camera on auto ISO (which can be set up very flexibly - excellent!) so that I can dedicate the fn button to the Neutral density filter for ease of use. It works very well, but... there is no indication as to whether the ND is on or off, other than an unexpected exposure - no 'ND on' warning in the viewfinder or in the EVF. Odd.

4. The Q button is a great idea; however, if one shoots RAW, most of the control options there are redundant. Wouldn't it be possible to have a different set of options appear when one is in raw mode that are actually useful to the RAW shooter? For instance quick access to the ND filter, access to a live histogram, options to change the brightness or contrast of the rear EVF.

5. the only button one can program ones self is the fn button. Why not have the option to choose the definition of the Q button or the functions of the command control?

6. It is possible to shrink the size of the focus frame so that it is much smaller than the default size. At first I thought this would be a very useful feature for increased accuracy. There seem to be problems with this though. The rectangle in the viewfinders, both OVF and EVF, does not shrink in size to match the size that it is reduced to in set up, which means you have to guess the centre of the viewfinder rectangle - not difficult, but odd - again a firmware fix please. That would not matter at all if the smaller focusing point made focusing more accurate (enabling accurate focus on small leaves against a high contrast background) but it does not seem to. Instead, it just seems to slow things down. Can this be improved?

As I say, I find the camera's design and ergonomics generally excellent and do not want to sound too carping - most of these points are not that important (I think 1 & 2 are). Nevertheless, there is definite room for refinement.

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · A few comments on the Fuji X100S

Thanks for your input. I have the X100 and will be receiving the S today. Looking forward to playing with it!

As to your point #3...the X100 DOES have an indication in the viewfinder to show you when the ND filter is on. Not sure why the X100S wouldn't.

Mar 28, 2013 at 01:17 PM
wolfloid
• •
p.1 #3 · A few comments on the Fuji X100S

@ weezintrumpete

I've checked, and you are right, it does, but it took me a while to spot it, since it's at the top and tends to get bleached out by the bright sky. I had to turn the ND on and off several times before I noticed it ... but now I know where to look. Thanks.

Mar 28, 2013 at 02:27 PM
luminosity
• • • •
p.1 #4 · A few comments on the Fuji X100S

Just take pictures with it.

I just got mine and I can tell it will be great at that.

Mar 28, 2013 at 02:41 PM
wolfloid
• •
p.1 #5 · A few comments on the Fuji X100S

Just take pictures with it.

Well, there's a sound piece of advice!

Mar 28, 2013 at 03:39 PM
luminosity
• • • •
p.1 #6 · A few comments on the Fuji X100S

I'm curious about one thing-- is there anything you said that couldn't have gone in an existing thread?

Mar 28, 2013 at 03:54 PM
wolfloid
• •
p.1 #7 · A few comments on the Fuji X100S

I'm curious about one thing-- is there anything you said that couldn't have gone in an existing thread?

You seem to have some sort of problem. Is it a number of threads problem? Are you the forum police?

Mar 28, 2013 at 05:14 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #8 · A few comments on the Fuji X100S

Since this is a relatively new camera, I for one am grateful to have a new thread started from someone actually holding the camera in their hands. Moreover, the other threads that I can see, without checking very hard, include both X100 and X100s posts so a new thread dedicated to those that are just now getting their X100s is useful to me. In this way I don't have to sort through posts and check EXIF data to make sure what I am seeing is output from the X100s and not the previous X100.

Mar 28, 2013 at 05:40 PM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
p.1 #9 · A few comments on the Fuji X100S

Okay, so I just got mine an hour or so ago. I also own an X100 and just compared a few things side by side.. Initial impressions...

1. AF is better. Only had a chance to try it indoors so far though.
2. MF is WAY better. Its actually really good now. To the point that you could use this as an MF only camera if you wanted to. Split image is cool, but focus peaking is where it's at.
3. Stiffened dials and fixed Menu/OK button are great. I can actually press the Menu button now! Also the rearrangement of the AF/S/C/MF slider is much better.
4. The EVF is noticeably better. Much smoother.

More later once I've had the chance to shoot it more...

Mar 28, 2013 at 06:23 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · A few comments on the Fuji X100S

weezintrumpete wrote:
Okay, so I just got mine an hour or so ago. I also own an X100 and just compared a few things side by side.. Initial impressions...

2. MF is WAY better. Its actually really good now. To the point that you could use this as an MF only camera if you wanted to. Split image is cool, but focus peaking is where it's at.
4. The EVF is noticeably better. Much smoother.

More later once I've had the chance to shoot it more...

excellent! these are the points that are important to me. can you get accurate focus on the eye of a portrait subject at f/2 using peaking?

Mar 28, 2013 at 06:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

weezintrumpete
• • • •
p.1 #11 · A few comments on the Fuji X100S

sebboh wrote:
excellent! these are the points that are important to me. can you get accurate focus on the eye of a portrait subject at f/2 using peaking?

Not sure yet...I'll have to do some more investigating with some people

Mar 28, 2013 at 06:50 PM
hijazist
• • •
p.1 #12 · A few comments on the Fuji X100S

Thanks a lot for the input, a very much valuable thread that provides/will provide technical details for a just-released camera, especially for us debating whether to upgrade from the X100.

Mar 28, 2013 at 06:52 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · A few comments on the Fuji X100S

hijazist wrote:
Thanks a lot for the input, a very much valuable thread that provides/will provide technical details for a just-released camera, especially for us debating whether to upgrade from the X100.

+1, although my wallet might not agree.

Mar 28, 2013 at 08:01 PM
misterOphoto

p.1 #14 · A few comments on the Fuji X100S

6. Is it possible to shrink the size of the focus frame?

If I understand your question correctly, yes.

Press the trash/AF button on the Command Dial to highlight the focus frame.
Move the Command Control wheel to the left to reduce the size of the focus frame.

It seems that making the focus frame smaller slows down AF speed a bit, YMMV. Hope this helps.

Mar 28, 2013 at 08:03 PM
wolfloid
• •
p.1 #15 · A few comments on the Fuji X100S

If I understand your question correctly, yes.

Yes, it can be shrunk, and it does seem to slow AF down a little, as I said, but, the AF frame in the OVF stays the same size. That seems to me to be odd.

However, I was wrong in saying that the EVF focus frame does not also shrink - it does. So that is how it should be.

Mar 28, 2013 at 08:22 PM
drcph

p.1 #16 · A few comments on the Fuji X100S

Also got mine a couple of days ago - a very solid upgrade from the X100 in terms of usability.
Image quality is still to be determined :-)

One thing I miss is the option to change the size of the focus box in MF mode - this can only be done in AF mode.

In my experience peaking with 10x mag is sufficient to MF on the eyes of a person - but this was done in good lightning.

Changing the focus point is much easier after the relocation of the AF button - a nice touch is the ability to quickly switch back to the center point by pressing the Back button when choosing the point.

Mar 28, 2013 at 08:35 PM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #17 · A few comments on the Fuji X100S

I agree regarding the rear screen quality, but that has been an issue on all of Fuji's X cameras. That said, the fact that you can easily review images in the viewfinder mitigates that for me in general, since I greatly prefer to review images that way. It's a real pain to do so on an E-M5.

As I said in the X100/X100s images thread, if you tried an X100 and were intrigued by the concept but turned off by the rough edges, you probably will like the X100s. Fuji have whittled away a lot of the sharp pointy parts. It's a really responsive and fun, usable camera now.

Mar 28, 2013 at 08:54 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #18 · A few comments on the Fuji X100S

One of the best things about the x100s: you can use the OVF with manual focusing, and when you touch the focus ring it reverts to EVF with split focus/peaking (whichever you have selected). Then when you've finished focusing and half press the shutter button it changes back to OVF. Awesome

Cant wait to get it on my xpro1 too

Mar 28, 2013 at 09:32 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · A few comments on the Fuji X100S

drcph wrote:
In my experience peaking with 10x mag is sufficient to MF on the eyes of a person - but this was done in good lightning.

at 10x you better be able to focus on the eyes at f/2 without peaking. i was asking about peaking without zoom, which i find works great on my NEX at f/2 and smaller as long as i use f/1.4 or faster lenses that are quite contrasty at f/2. for some of my f/2 lenses it doesn't really work as well due to lower contrast. i was basically wondering how the combo of the x100s' lens and peaking implementation work for this.

Spyro P. wrote:
One of the best things about the x100s: you can use the OVF with manual focusing, and when you touch the focus ring it reverts to EVF with split focus/peaking (whichever you have selected). Then when you've finished focusing and half press the shutter button it changes back to OVF. Awesome

Cant wait to get it on my xpro1 too

awesome! i hadn't noticed that in the reviews i've seen. maybe i might try out the ovf from time to time after all.

Mar 28, 2013 at 09:51 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #20 · A few comments on the Fuji X100S

sebboh wrote:
awesome! i hadn't noticed that in the reviews i've seen. maybe i might try out the ovf from time to time after all.

yeah OVF is great if you have high contrast scenes, backlight and such

what I havent been able to work out from the manual is if it's possible to use the OVF for MF but without zooming when it changes to EVF. I dont think it is

I'd prefer to stay in touch with my framing and what's happening in the scene while focusing, even if I sacrifice some focus accuracy (I dont use narrow dof much)

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:17 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password