Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Processing technique: over gelled flash

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Processing technique: over gelled flash

Thanks.

I edited it one more time, with a change in contrast/brightness to the corner/side grass areas to reduce the contrast/attention of the shadow from the flash, so it doesn't pull you there so noticeably ... hopefully to retain your attention on the group ... who btw looks like they were having a good time.

Apr 05, 2013 at 02:07 AM
ppmax

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Processing technique: over gelled flash

Thanks RustyBug. You've shown that compositing two images with different color temps will probably give me the best results. I'm off to rescue about 20 images now....

thanks again!
PP

Apr 05, 2013 at 02:50 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · Processing technique: over gelled flash

Your welcome. Shouldn't be too bad once you get things dialed in a bit.

The the pics you posted do a nice job of showing what happens when you try to address mixed lighting with a global solution.

A) Much Too Warm/Neutral
B) Much Too Cool/Neutral
C) Slightly Warm/Slightly Cool

The only way to address mixed lighting is to either match the lighting so that you no longer have mixed lighting, or perform selective corrections in post ... global correction just won't get it. C) may kinda "split the difference" to a place that may be tolerable, but it just won't be bringing the most out of your image. But, if you have to choose between one or the other ... typically I'd go with whatever flatters your subject best, as neutral may or may not achieve that.

Apr 05, 2013 at 03:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ppmax

p.2 #4 · Processing technique: over gelled flash

>>Your welcome. Shouldn't be too bad once you get things dialed in a bit.

I think I've got it wired now: I'll white balance for the subject in Aperture and export, then disable the white balance and export again and composite in another app (probably Pixelmator...which I've begun to like a bit...it's not as "heavy" as Photoshop).

I feel like I had the right idea with gelling my lights but failed in the execution. As I mentioned earlier I know I failed to set my white balance on camera to match my gel. However I can't figure out if using CTO was the right call either--so I may have shot myself in the foot to begin with.

>>global correction just won't get it, except that C) will kinda "split the difference" to a place that may be tolerable, but it just won't be bringing the most out of your image.

Agreed. I feel like the BG was captured accurately. Given this as a baseline, what would you have done with the strobes? How could I have matched the lighting to eliminate the mixed lighting effect?

PP

Apr 05, 2013 at 03:31 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · Processing technique: over gelled flash

ppmax wrote:
...I feel like I had the right idea with gelling my lights but failed in the execution. ...I can't figure out if using CTO was the right call... I feel like the BG was captured accurately. Given this as a baseline, what would you have done with the strobes? How could I have matched the lighting to eliminate the mixed lighting effect?

To my eye (and every photographer has his own style) it looks like the color correction was just too strong, and the subjects were also over-flashed compared to the BG.

Just reducing the CTO to a 1/2 CTO or 1/4 CTO might have been enough color correction, and maybe even none at all. (Back to WB for the people, and let the BG do it's own thing in this case.)

Here's what it might have looked like with un-gelled flash and -1/2 stop FEC:

Apr 05, 2013 at 03:40 AM
ppmax

p.2 #6 · Processing technique: over gelled flash

Yep, the main A flash was definitely too hot...I think I was overcompensating because my other B flash wasnt firing...but I didnt realize that until reviewing the images today. My EXIF says I punched the flash up 1.3 EV...you were right on the money.

Here's a test composite using your technique. I burned the harsh shadows in the grasses and punched up the saturation in the sunset. Certainly better than the origs or either "global" WB fix. Fussing with brushed-in WB fixes in Lightroom was a hassle and wasnt giving me good results.

compositeTest by ppmax, on Flickr

BrianO and RustyBug, thanks--
PP

Apr 05, 2013 at 03:49 AM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password