Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · The Wave

caralan9
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Wave

Hi

From Moruya Beach, NSW, Aus - this morning (G11)

Not sure which version I prefer

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:46 PM
ucphotog
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Wave

Nice image.

Definitely the color for me, though there's some nice texture to those clouds in BW. I don't think they are worth the price of the beautiful color of sand and water, but ... almost.

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM
MDBarrett
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Wave

I think with the soft light that you have the color is my choice.

Mike

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:46 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Wave

color

Mar 28, 2013 at 05:29 AM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Wave

Definitely colour!

Mar 28, 2013 at 05:34 AM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Wave

For sure the color one. You didn't gain anything with the B&W, you just lost the wonderful contrasting hues. Beautiful photo.

Mar 28, 2013 at 05:37 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Wave

Both nice, but the color is so interesting in this scene that I would lean that direction.

Speaking of leaning, I have another observation that you are welcome to consider or ignore. When I first looked at the photograph I got the impression that the horizon isn't level. I looked more closely at it is level, but the impression remains. As I'm sure you have noticed, this is the result of the land at the right being higher and tilting down toward the center of the frame, the surf rising onto the beach at the far upper right, the fact that the junction between the end of the land and the start of the ocean horizon is obscured by the wave, and perhaps the amount of "tilting" land on the right. The fact that - I presume - the darker line of land above the beach at the right curves toward us probably also increases the impression that the right side of the frame rises.

This is a classic problem in landscape photography, so I don't offer this as a criticism of your photography at all! We've all photographed scenes with a camera that was objectively level, only to end up with a photograph that gives a sensation of tilting. (I've encountered this quite a bit in desert photography, where the horizon actually does tilt, and where there can be various layers that tilt in opposing directions.)

The really tricky thing is to figure out how to balance the objective fact that the frame is truly level with the subjective impression that something tilts in this level photograph! In this case, using the color version helps, I think, since it does give us clearer hints that the light area at upper right is, in fact, a beach that naturally tilts upwards from the waterline. (In the BW version we don't get cues about this from color that are as strong as they are in the color version.)

So, what to do?

1. Nothing. This might all be my problem, and neither you nor anyone else sees the tilt that I think I see. :-)

2. Perhaps rotate slightly in a clockwise direction. I checked the level of the ocean horizon and it looks pretty level, though I can convince myself that it would be OK to rotate slightly.

3. Consider a bit of a crop from the right side of the frame, reducing the weight of the elements that (for me) create the impression of a tilt.

4. I have no idea how well it would work, having not tried it, but I'd also experiment with slightly darkening the lighter section of the beach at upper right.

Take care,

Dan

Mar 28, 2013 at 08:30 AM
DABNIK
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Wave

I agree with the above re: the colour image. It is just beautiful light!!

VERY nice capture & processing

Mar 28, 2013 at 09:01 AM
caralan9
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Wave

Thanks everyone.

Dan, thanks for taking the time to offer your thoughts. I agree, it did look like it tilted when I first processed it, but the longer I've lived with the less I notice it.

The other thing I though of was to do a slight distort in PS to level the vegetated dune on the right. Might try it later to see how odd it looks

Mar 28, 2013 at 07:26 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Wave

Sometimes, (and only sometimes) perception becomes the highest form of reality. re: is it level?

Mar 29, 2013 at 08:15 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Wave

ovely shot. Color one for sure.
Harsha

Mar 29, 2013 at 01:04 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Wave

Both are good, and both will greatly benefit from improved contrast and details in the wave.

Mar 29, 2013 at 01:47 PM
Raymond Reimer
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Wave

Colour for me!

Mar 29, 2013 at 01:51 PM
Lee Green
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Wave

The color shot is simply beautiful.

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:59 PM
rpope
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Wave

Great shot and both are beautiful, but I prefer the color version.

Rich

Mar 29, 2013 at 05:56 PM
tfoltz
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Wave

color

Mar 29, 2013 at 07:34 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.