Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 2012-2013: Mirrorless down, DSLR up!

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 2012-2013: Mirrorless down, DSLR up!

Interesting trend this past year:

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/ive-got-good-news-ive-got.html

I wonder if that is just a blip or a sign that mirrorless sales have stabilised and the growth is done? I hope that DSLR sales continue to be healthy, because there is where my personal primary interest lies.

Mar 27, 2013 at 09:18 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 2012-2013: Mirrorless down, DSLR up!

I think that for the average consumer in the US, the price of mirror-less cameras is too high in relation to the cost of an entry level Canon or Nikon DSLR and I don't think the companies making the mirror-less cameras have done a good job of education the average consumer that the performance is comparable to that of the DSLR with a size benefit.

In other words, I don't think mirror-less sales volumes in the US will take off until the price comes down in relations to entry level DSLR's and the public becomes aware the you can achieve DSLR image quality with a mirror-less camera.

I don't think this is true in Japan and I don't know about other markets.

Also, the dominance of Canon and Nikon in retailers and brand acceptance in the US negatively impacts the mirror-less offerings of Oly, Panasonic and Sony.

Edited on Mar 27, 2013 at 09:32 PM · View previous versions

Mar 27, 2013 at 09:32 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · 2012-2013: Mirrorless down, DSLR up!

He's only comparing January figures. There could be a lot of variables at play, including the lack of new, interesting, mirrorless cameras to excite enthusiasts. It could also depend on the market, since it seems North America is still slow to catch on with mirrorless. I agree with his point that Olympus, Panasonic and to some extent, Sony, have poor representation in major big-box store chains here.

From the general consumer point of view, when a camera like the new Canon 'mini' Rebel is about the same size as a mirrorless camera, and the lenses for many mirrorless cameras are not considerably smaller than those for APS-C DSLRs, there is little compelling reason to choose mirrorless over DSLR, especially if it's also a matter of brand recognition.

I also agree with Jeff about mirrorless pricing being a bit on the high side. If I was in the market, I'd probably opt for something like a NEX-6 with the 16-50, but that's $1,000 vs. $750 or less for a DSLR kit. I think a lot of people shop with price as the most, or one of the two or three most important criteria.

Mar 27, 2013 at 09:32 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · 2012-2013: Mirrorless down, DSLR up!

The spring figures should be up on his site shortly.

Mar 27, 2013 at 09:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

joychris
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · 2012-2013: Mirrorless down, DSLR up!

Here's the actual sales numbers for all major manufacturers except Samsung IIRC, DSLR sales are robust after the holiday shopping season...

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:43 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · 2012-2013: Mirrorless down, DSLR up!

Interesting table. Where does one find such numbers?

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:51 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #7 · 2012-2013: Mirrorless down, DSLR up!

http://www.cipa.jp/english/data/dizital.html

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:28 AM
LightShow
• • • •
p.1 #8 · 2012-2013: Mirrorless down, DSLR up!

Keep in mind this is shipments not sales.

Mar 30, 2013 at 05:24 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password