New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Viewing RAW using a Netbook

redbarn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Viewing RAW using a Netbook

I bought a ASUS Netbook in order to use it while traveling to back up my CF cards shooing RAW. However, because the limitation of RAM and the cheap processor I can't install Lightroom.

I'm wondering if I could installed a viewer that I could use with this Netbook to upload and view the RAW images. My ultimate goal is to transfer the RAW images to an Ext HD

Mar 27, 2013 at 04:16 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Viewing RAW using a Netbook

Raw is not universal. Every manufacturer and EVERY CAMERA's version of 'RAW' is unique (regardless of the fact they have names like .NEF, .CR2, etc etc).

So, your camera probably came w/ some software to manipulate it's RAW images. I'd suggest you load that. Or try something like Irfanview or many other free-ish viewer applications.

Mar 27, 2013 at 04:54 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Viewing RAW using a Netbook

I have a netbook that I have used for the same thing in the past . The main problem is the screen res on mine to run things like DPP etc . But there is a little registry hack that then changes the res to enough to run stuff like DPP .

Also very handy to have installed for viewing is 'instant jpeg from raw' . This strips the embedded jpeg from the raw so you have a small jpeg . You can then archive your raw files to the external HDD .
The utility is really great. You just right click on a file (or multiple files) and choose the jpeg from raw option. It does te job really fast .

Mar 28, 2013 at 05:14 AM
gse53
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Viewing RAW using a Netbook

But there is a little registry hack that then changes the res to enough to run stuff like DPP

Ian, I have the same problem with my netbook. Could you please share the hack you used? I can use the utility but not DPP.

Thank you,

Gary

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:02 AM
jchin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Viewing RAW using a Netbook

Look at using FastStone Image Viewer or XnView on the netbook.
Both of them can open RAW files for viewing purposes.

NOTE: you may need to install Microsoft's RAW image codec.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:10 PM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Viewing RAW using a Netbook

Sorry guys sorry that I hadn't answered to your postings but I was traveling and didn't have access to get online.

I am using 2 different cameras shooting RAW. I have a Canon DSL, and Panasonic LX5. And I can tell you that I have no problem viewing RAW images shots with both cameras using other Windows, Mac computers using LR,IMage Browser etc.

But unfortunately, the netbook doesn't have too much RAM and it doesn't have a DVD/CD drive, I bought it for that reason; otherwise, I'd have bought a regular laptop. I don't think that I'm able to install Infarview because the limited amount of RAM, and that fact that I don't have a DVD/CD drive.

I am not too concerned about the low Res since I'm not planning to do any editing just backing up the images from the SD/CF cards to an Ext HD.

However, I'm more worried about exactly what Ian described. I think I had the same problem once I uploaded a RAW images it was converted to a JPEG. And obviously I won't be able to copy the RAW images because once I stick the CF cards it will be converted into JPEG

Gary If you found out more information please let me know thatnks

Apr 06, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Viewing RAW using a Netbook

gse53 wrote:
Ian, I have the same problem with my netbook. Could you please share the hack you used? I can use the utility but not DPP.

Thank you,

Gary

Hi yeah no problem (sorry its been a while to come back to this thread)

Its quite an easy registry hack
http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/netbooks/a/How-To-Change-Your-Netbooks-Screen-Resolution.htm

But I will add that it works for some stuff but other stuff looks really bad . But its handy to have as it allows you to run software that won't run due to the screen limitations .

Apr 06, 2013 at 02:10 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Viewing RAW using a Netbook

You might checkout FasterPictureviewer. I have it installed on all of my computers.
Sorry no Mac support.
http://www.fastpictureviewer.com

Apr 06, 2013 at 02:23 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Viewing RAW using a Netbook

redbarn wrote:
Sorry guys sorry that I hadn't answered to your postings but I was traveling and didn't have access to get online.

However, I'm more worried about exactly what Ian described. I think I had the same problem once I uploaded a RAW images it was converted to a JPEG. And obviously I won't be able to copy the RAW images because once I stick the CF cards it will be converted into JPEG

I think you may have misunderstood what I meant .

What I was saying is that I use a utility called 'instant jpeg from raw . I tend to use this utility alot . (Not just on my netbook)
My 7D like most modern DSLR's (with the larger higher res screens) embeds a full size (18mp) jpeg in the raw . Ok it's more highly compressed than the jpeg settings but still very usable for my iPad and just quick sorting .

I'm not using my netbook very often now , but when I do I use. It as a raw dump and then let it generate the jpegs which I write to SD and then view on my iPad .
I only have to do,this when I have lots of raw files . Otherwise I can use other methods to get viewable jpegs onto my iPad . Like , transcend wifi card to shuttersnitch (good unless you shoot lots of I ages as the speed is an issue) .

Apr 06, 2013 at 02:23 PM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Viewing RAW using a Netbook

Ian
thanks for clarifying it to me. I need to find it and give it a try. I no longer shoot RAW+Jpeg so I don't have the same situation as you do.

But I'm curious so are you telling me that you are able to upload your RAW images into your Ipad and be able to save it or do you use it as a vehicle to save it to an ext HD. The reason I'm asking is because I asked at the Apple store exactly that . I was planning a trip to AFrica can didn't want to take a netbook etc.

I had in mind buying an Ipad and dump my RAW images from my CF card to an Ext HD. However, Apple told me otherwise. I know own a Galaxy tablet even with a 32GB sd card but somehow I can't attach an Ext HD and dump them to. But since Jchin suggested to get Fastone but as I said I don't think it will support a Mac, but going to try downloading on my Galaxy tablet since is running Android OS.

Apr 07, 2013 at 02:32 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Viewing RAW using a Netbook

redbarn wrote:
Ian
thanks for clarifying it to me. I need to find it and give it a try. I no longer shoot RAW+Jpeg so I don't have the same situation as you do.

But I'm curious so are you telling me that you are able to upload your RAW images into your Ipad and be able to save it or do you use it as a vehicle to save it to an ext HD. The reason I'm asking is because I asked at the Apple store exactly that . I was planning a trip to AFrica can didn't want to take a netbook
...Show more

There are ways to do what you want (I'm not saying they are perfect or the best)

I'll PM you soon .

Apr 07, 2013 at 02:55 PM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Viewing RAW using a Netbook

Ian

I'm sure but when I don't have too many resources around I need to depend on forums like this. I need to find the time and see if others using the Galaxy tablet can do what I'm trying to accomplish or similar to what you are doing with the Ipad.

Believe me I'm an avid user of Mac but don't care to get the Ipad cuz the size and price. Like you I seldom use my netbook, even a laptop. I use my Ipod 5th gen all the time, no need for an Iphone either when I can use Skype and it works just like an Iphone sans the bill, lol

Apr 07, 2013 at 03:11 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.