Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Some soccer (MLS) shots

--K--
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Some soccer (MLS) shots

Well I was able to get a season photo pass to go shoot the local MLS team (Montreal Impact) for the radio station covering the games. These are shots from the first two games of the season, I don't have the best equipment to shoot action sports, but oh webb I do with what I have. (D700 + 70-200 VRII +TC 1.7x). These two games were presented at the Olympic Stadium, usually the team plays outside in a different stadium, but in March there's still snow in Montréal

I'm not used to shoot soccer though, so any comments or tips are welcomed.

Game 2 :

Gallery game 2 : http://galerie.davidkirouac.ca/impact_vs_red_bulls_20130324

Game 1 :

Gallery game 1 : http://galerie.davidkirouac.ca/impact_vs_toronto_fc_032013

Mar 27, 2013 at 03:43 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Some soccer (MLS) shots

On the fourth photo the guy in the background is a bit distracting.

Mar 27, 2013 at 04:27 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Some soccer (MLS) shots

With that lens and TC combo, you just have to be a little more patient and let the action come to you more to allow more separation between subject and BG. I'm finding the BG too much in focus and there are shots where you can be more patient, allow the action to come to you, and shoot it tighter and vertical.

Mar 27, 2013 at 05:10 PM
--K--
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Some soccer (MLS) shots

gome1122 wrote:
On the fourth photo the guy in the background is a bit distracting.

That's why I come here... it's something I didn't notice at first but now that you're saying it wellll... It's the only thing I can see. I'll try to be careful the next time, even though sometime if you get an action shot you have to live with the background :-/

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Some soccer (MLS) shots

Couple of notes.... Crop tighter, especially in #3. I took a look at your galleries. Half of those shots wouldn't make it past my first round of picks.

Only post your best shots (ones you would submit to a publication).

Mar 28, 2013 at 02:27 PM
--K--
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Some soccer (MLS) shots

mkchang wrote:
Couple of notes.... Crop tighter, especially in #3. I took a look at your galleries. Half of those shots wouldn't make it past my first round of picks.

Only post your best shots (ones you would submit to a publication).

I agree with you

Mar 31, 2013 at 09:20 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Some soccer (MLS) shots

I have to agree with the others, if you don't have equipment to shoot soccer you need to learn patience. How does one get a pass to shoot images for someone when they don't have the equipment to do such the job? I feel like my lens is too short at times and I'm using a 400MM F2.8 and 1.4TC

Matt

Mar 31, 2013 at 07:41 PM
--K--
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Some soccer (MLS) shots

Matt OHarver wrote:
I have to agree with the others, if you don't have equipment to shoot soccer you need to learn patience. How does one get a pass to shoot images for someone when they don't have the equipment to do such the job? I feel like my lens is too short at times and I'm using a 400MM F2.8 and 1.4TC

Matt

Because not everybody has the $ 10 000 budget to purchase such a lens!

I don't want to start a debate on equipment... or how I got a pass... I don't care and I'm pretty sure most of the people around here don't care either.

Edited on Apr 01, 2013 at 07:23 AM · View previous versions

Mar 31, 2013 at 08:03 PM
--K--
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Some soccer (MLS) shots

P Alesse wrote:
With that lens and TC combo, you just have to be a little more patient and let the action come to you more to allow more separation between subject and BG. I'm finding the BG too much in focus and there are shots where you can be more patient, allow the action to come to you, and shoot it tighter and vertical.

I looked at the other MLS posts in the forum and I agree with you, I need to be a bit more patient and shoot tighter (or crop).

I had my reasons to go wider (crop) but looking at the other pictures in the other posts I do understand what you mean and I totally agree. I'll see what I can do the next time.

The 200-400 is on my wishlist for this year, so hopefully before the end of the season

Apr 01, 2013 at 07:20 AM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Some soccer (MLS) shots

Matt OHarver wrote:

Matt

I have never understood this type of question......

I have front row seats in the endzone to the Detroit Lions and at least three of the folks wearing "photographer" bibs use point and shoots.....the guy right next to them has a 600mm, 500mm, 400mm, and a 70-200mm all with top of the line bodies on them and an assistant to hold the lenses not being used......

Work with what ya got!!!!!!!!

Apr 01, 2013 at 09:08 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.