Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Ok...some new Smith Rock images (yes...another hike)

roman.johnston
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ok...some new Smith Rock images (yes...another hike)

Ok...glutton for punishment and hiked back up Misery Ridge AGAIN.

My legs are definitely getting a workout.

Roman

Edited on Mar 28, 2013 at 11:37 AM · View previous versions

Mar 27, 2013 at 04:26 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ok...some new Smith Rock images (yes...another hike)

Hey Roman,

To get these views, it's definitely worth a bit of a workout! It's hard to pick out a favorite, it's between #2, 3 and 4. The tree in #3 is out of this world crazy! Now I can see where you wanted to use the contrails in #3, and if they were real clouds, I think they would really work. They do work in a sense to draw the eye into the shot, but then in another sense they seem to fight the image for me. There are some occasions where contrails do add lines that draw the person into the shot, not often, but a few times. And in #3, it is so close to working, but again for my eyeballs, in the end, I would rather they not be there as I think they end up fighting against that super cool tree... Just my 2 cents.. I would zap those contrails...

For 2nd place it would be I think #4, though I do really like #2. In #4, I would lose those 3 contrails...

Jim

Mar 27, 2013 at 04:43 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ok...some new Smith Rock images (yes...another hike)

Cool set Roman! #2 looks like I can just walk into the frame!

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:58 PM
lookoutscout
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ok...some new Smith Rock images (yes...another hike)

Roman, The tree in #3 is so amazing, but I am with Jim on this one. Those darn contrails just suck. They are nicely lined up parallel to each other, but...... I'd definitely try this shot again, you need the workout, and catch the morning or evening light using that tree in the image. It is really cool! Other than that, I also really like #4. Good job.
Dave

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:19 PM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ok...some new Smith Rock images (yes...another hike)

I don't mind the contrails at all. #3 is my favourite out of this set.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:38 PM
kwilliam8
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ok...some new Smith Rock images (yes...another hike)

Roman, I like image 3 the best. Like Jim and Dave, the contrails detract from this potentially stunning image for me. Had there been just one, I might have left it. If this were my image, I would either try to remove them in post, and if that did not work, then I might huff it back up there sometime when the clouds are more cooperative. Also, have you tried doing a square crop on the fourth image (cropping out just to the right of the river)? That might make an interesting image. I really like your images!
Keith W.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:46 PM
dbehrens
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ok...some new Smith Rock images (yes...another hike)

Gorgeous captures and well worth the workout - all are great pics but #3 and #4 (not sure in which order) are my favorites. I agree that zapping out the contrails in #3 would be worth the effort.
Dave

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:51 PM
roman.johnston
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ok...some new Smith Rock images (yes...another hike)

Thanks everyone. Me...I kinda like the contrails. It IS our world as it is, and I do have a personal ethic where I dont edit things in our out of my shots. But my hikes up there are not over.

Just so darned out of shape that when I do huff and puff my way up there...I am failry exausted and maybe a little off my game.

Next time might hike up stupid early and then rest for an hour or so on a nice smooth spot with my pack as a pillow...then as the light starts to hit, have the stregnth to actually start working the area better. I still have a few new areas to explore up there.

Roman

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:24 AM
kwilliam8
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ok...some new Smith Rock images (yes...another hike)

And while you are up there, you can relax by watching climbers going up the monkey face, or potentially watching folks do the monkey swing (like my daughter did last year). Your images have made me want to get up there. I've climbed at Smith (many years ago), but never done any photography. It's time! Thanks again for this post and the preceding one(s).
Keith W.

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:29 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ok...some new Smith Rock images (yes...another hike)

Man, those are spectacular images/views.

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

khilleg
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ok...some new Smith Rock images (yes...another hike)

Beautiful shots, Roman! This is an area I have yet to explore.

Kevin

Mar 28, 2013 at 06:01 AM
Heinz H
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ok...some new Smith Rock images (yes...another hike)

Roman,

Great shots and wonderful colors, especially the sky and amazing DOF, What lens / settings / filters did you use?

Heinz

Mar 28, 2013 at 06:23 AM
lighthawk
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ok...some new Smith Rock images (yes...another hike)

Heinz H wrote:
Roman,

Great shots and wonderful colors, especially the sky and amazing DOF, What lens / settings / filters did you use?

Heinz

+1
Great scenic shots with excellent composition and IQ. I'll guess a tripod was part of your load?

Mar 28, 2013 at 06:36 AM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ok...some new Smith Rock images (yes...another hike)

Great shots as always Roman

Keep it up whilst your knees let you

I see you in the USA have problems with aliens putting gridlines in the sky too. Did you wear a foil cap just in case??

Tim

Mar 28, 2013 at 07:36 AM
Lee Wiren
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ok...some new Smith Rock images (yes...another hike)

Roman, these are awesome! I fully intend to get there this summer and make that hike! Do you camp out at the campground ever, is it nice? I really love #2 with the Sisters in the bg and also #4, great shot of Monkey Face!

Mar 28, 2013 at 08:01 AM
JamieT

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ok...some new Smith Rock images (yes...another hike)

Magnificent images, very beautifully processed...

Mar 28, 2013 at 08:31 AM
Dirtyharry71
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ok...some new Smith Rock images (yes...another hike)

great shots

Mar 28, 2013 at 09:04 AM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Ok...some new Smith Rock images (yes...another hike)

Nice set with very striking, emphatic processing. I think the treatment you gave these works quite well with the scenes, giving them a strong sense of presence that helps put us there with you. The blends are a bit rough around the edges, however, showing the seams quite clearly (especially around the tops of the tallest vertical elements in #2-4).

As for the contrails: I usually have a knee-jerk reaction against them, but I like them in #3. The scene already has the 'hand of man' very present in the background, so the contrails actually seem to tie together nature and culture in that one. Their diagonals echo those of the tree's branches and seem to point to the distant city, as if to suggest some kind of dialogue or interaction between the upper and lower realms of the photo. So conceptually and visually, they work for me. I can't say the same for #4, though, where (to me, at least), the contrails look more extraneous and are a bit distracting. It's still my second favorite after #3 because of the nice sense of depth you got with that river snaking off into the middle-ground.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM
roman.johnston
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Ok...some new Smith Rock images (yes...another hike)

lighthawk wrote:
+1
Great scenic shots with excellent composition and IQ. I'll guess a tripod was part of your load?

Thanks to the both of you. My exif is always in my gallery pictures. Lens was Tokina 12-24 and the only filter I own is the Circular Polarizer. (I do have a split nutreal density filter I rarely use) As for colors, thats part of my post processing. Its the only way I can get from the "bland scene" that the camera sees, and the "Grand Scene" that my eyeballs see. Settings are actually super bland as I am more interested in capturing the data nessissary to post-process to my desired end result. Pre-visualization.

Hope that helps.

Roman

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM
roman.johnston
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Ok...some new Smith Rock images (yes...another hike)

Thanks everyone!

Tim - No...its a lead hat folded from an old film X-Ray protection bag.

Phrasikleia - No blends...sorry. I do see the small lines your talking about though. I will have to keep a watchful eye for such artifacts...thanks for pointing them out.

Here are a few other shots. First one adress the contrails in the "Tree shot".

And this one is just another shot I liked from the series.

Thanks again everyone for the kind suggestions and feedback.

Roman

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:51 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password