Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed

tonywong88
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed

One question that hasn't been fully explored is how well the Sigma setups respond to AF speeds on the new 61pt AF sensor. Since there are Groups for AF systems, just because a lens is F2.8 it doesn't necessarily mean it will fall into group A. I asked Sigma if they knew which Group the existing 120-300 2.8 OS fell into and they didn't tell me... They said they have no technical specs on other manufacturers product systems. Kind of a bummer since they are reverse engineering the EF protocol to get their lenses to function.

I think the closest to a definitive answer came from Rogers's lensrentals blog but since I'm on my iPad its a pain to reference right now. Still, there isn't a good answer on how much faster/better/more precise a Group A AF lens is than a Group B. just suffice it to say that the Sigmas aren't on the same groupings as the Canons currently, especially with TCs. Maybe the new lens and USB dock will be used to address that as Sigma reverse engineers the Grouping protocol.

Apr 02, 2013 at 09:22 PM
EverLearning
• •
p.3 #2 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed

I am at a point where I can, and have, been considering a shift from Canon to Nikon. Without going into all the details or starting a C/N war, let me just say I am not happy with my current camera for high ISO noise and find the Canon 100-400 too slow for some wildlife lighting conditions (thus forcing me up into those 'nasty' high ISOs).

I am open to going 7D MKII or D400, as well as looking at the 5D MKIII and the D600. One of the key pieces in the puzzle is how the new 120-300 performs with a 1.4x tc and a 2.0x tc (Sigma, Canon or Nikon). I have heard the current one is much better than the 100-400 and at least on par even when coupled with a 1.4x tc. One of the things I am torn on and don't know enough about is which is generally a better trade-off; using a crop sensor with a 1.4x tc or using a full sensor with a 2.0x tc? Which would generally provide overall better IQ?

I know nobody can comment on the new Sigma just yet, but perhaps somebody can comment on the current Sigma or even address this vexing question from a general perspective.

Thanks

Apr 03, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed

EverLearning wrote:
I am at a point where I can, and have, been considering a shift from Canon to Nikon. Without going into all the details or starting a C/N war, let me just say I am not happy with my current camera for high ISO noise and find the Canon 100-400 too slow for some wildlife lighting conditions (thus forcing me up into those 'nasty' high ISOs).

I am open to going 7D MKII or D400, as well as looking at the 5D MKIII and the D600. One of the key pieces in the puzzle is how the new 120-300 performs with
...Show more

Well I can say that the current one is very good with a 1.4 TC on . I'm using mine on a 7D with a kenko reporting one .
I've also tried with a 2x but as mine is a tele plus non reporting I will hold judgement until I can lay my hands on a sigma version at a good price (I want a pair of sigma TC's really )
As far as I can see @420/4 its better than my 100-400 was at 400/5.6 . And stopped down a stop to 5.6 its very good indeed .
Now as to the question of crop with 1.4 v FF with 2x , I'd probably have to say the crop 1.4 combo would take the edge . I've not tried the ff 2x myself but have seen a fe example on places like Flickr etc . IQ looks pretty good but i bet the AF takes a fair larger hit than the crop 1.4 combo does .

Of course over in Nikon land you have the added choices of the 200-400/4 (which looks like it compares pretty well price wise used to the new sigma new) or the new 80-400 zoom . Not cheap for a 5.6 zoom i know but I bet its optically very good.

Apr 03, 2013 at 12:46 AM
EverLearning
• •
p.3 #4 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed

Ian, what do you mean by a Kenko 'reporting' one and 'tele plus non reporting'? I can't say that I am familiar with those terms.

Thanks

Apr 03, 2013 at 01:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tonywong88
• •
p.3 #5 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed

Reporting means the tc announces its presence to the camera and will appear on your Exif data. Non reporting does not, which makes the system try to focus as if the tc wasn't there.

Apr 03, 2013 at 01:44 AM
gcuff
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed

Bhphoto now showing May 15.

Geoff

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.3 #7 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed

Yup, May it is.

Apr 12, 2013 at 08:43 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed

It's so sexy. I hope it's comparably as good as their 35mm 1.4 Art lens.

If so... *drools*

Apr 15, 2013 at 04:03 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password