New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · cleaning Arctic Butterfly brush

david debalko
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · cleaning Arctic Butterfly brush

I spoke with a tech at Arctic butterfly and ge told me to dip the bristles of the brush into rubbing alcohol for a few seconds and then lift out and turn the brush on until dry. Has anyone heard of this or done it?

Mar 27, 2013 at 06:37 AM
david debalko
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · cleaning Arctic Butterfly brush

I should add that when cleaning my sensor I touched the sides of the sensor I got some black on the brush that is when I called arctic butterfly. He told me to try this before I buy a new brush.

Mar 27, 2013 at 06:41 AM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · cleaning Arctic Butterfly brush

Sounds like a plausible cleaning of the bristles.

Be sure they are dry before using again.

Nothing to lose.

Mar 27, 2013 at 07:15 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · cleaning Arctic Butterfly brush

I've been using an Arctic Butterfly since May 2006. I'm on my third replacement brush. I've occasionally cleaned gunk off the brush using lens or sensor cleaning fluid, more or less just like the Visible Dust tech told you. OTOH, if a bunch of anonymous web posters like me told you something different, I'd still follow the advice provided by the product support people.

Mar 27, 2013 at 07:35 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · cleaning Arctic Butterfly brush

Rather than rubbing alcohol which contains other ingredients that may not be desirable, I'd suggest isopropyl alcohol 99% or better usually found at drug stores. If you want the really pure stuff go for the 99.953% pure Anhydrous version found at electronic part supply shops. I use this all the time to clean my Arctic Butterfly after use.

Use a small container to put a few millilitres of alcohol in:
1. Dip the the bristles in the solution, swipe it around to dislodge particles then spin, dump out fluid.
2. Rinse and repeat if you got lots of oil on the bristles.
3. The last step is dip in clean fluid and do not spin, let air dry and cover with bristle protector. If you spin as the last step the bristles will flare out because they are wet and you will never get the protector on.

Mar 27, 2013 at 01:59 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · cleaning Arctic Butterfly brush

Decent purity isopropanol, ethanol or methanol should do the trick (or ether maybe, if you can get it). For really stubborn grease try warming up the alcohol a bit before cleaning the brush. Obviously be careful not to set fire to anything when you do this.

Mar 27, 2013 at 04:20 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · cleaning Arctic Butterfly brush

JBPhotog wrote:
Rather than rubbing alcohol which contains other ingredients that may not be desirable, I'd suggest isopropyl alcohol 99% or better usually found at drug stores. If you want the really pure stuff go for the 99.953% pure Anhydrous version found at electronic part supply shops. I use this all the time to clean my Arctic Butterfly after use.

Use a small container to put a few millilitres of alcohol in:
1. Dip the the bristles in the solution, swipe it around to dislodge particles then spin, dump out fluid.
2. Rinse and repeat if you got lots of oil on the bristles.
3. The
...Show more

+1

I do it just like that...

Mar 27, 2013 at 04:48 PM
Glenn NK
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · cleaning Arctic Butterfly brush

Yes, please do not use rubbing alcohol.

Good advice by JB Photog, 15bit, and Guari.

Mar 27, 2013 at 05:55 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.