Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · OFF TOPIC - Fancy Dress

tonyhart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OFF TOPIC - Fancy Dress

Hi all, I hope you will forgive this unusual off-topic thread. I could have bunged this in the 'Alt Gear' forum but you are all my homies, so I thought here seemed apropos.

So, a friend of mine is having a "C and E" fancy dress party (costume party for those Stateside) this Saturday. It is C or E, because he is Chris and his girlfriend is Emily. After much thought I decided either to go as either an Apple Mac 128k 'computer' or a 'camera'. I decided on a camera and decided on a TLR because that's loosely the right sort of shape to contain a human torso.

I am loosely basing my costume on a Rolleiflex f2.8. I know nothing about TLRs particularly so I am largely working from pictures! Still - it's coming along nicely and I have high hopes!

Now to the bit that you can all help me with. I've decided that for extra fun and added dollops of awesome sauce it'd be fun if the costume actually worked as a camera. Now, while I'm not willing to make the thing into some sort of crazy, walking talking film-based pinhole camera (though maybe I shall do after the party), I did come up with a cool idea for a bastardised 'digi-TLR'.

Here's the idea. Within the lens, inside the costume close to me, I have my iPhone. It is mounted so that it looks out the lens via a small hole. On the back, as a 'review screen' is mounted an iPad, that is affixed just so, such that it looks like a screen and not an iPad. Using the volume snap feature on the iPhone (which allows shutter release with the volume button) I can now take a photo with the camera without having to see the screen. My head, you understand, protrudes out of the top of the Rolleiflex. The plan was, in my initial musings, to use Photostream to effectively beam the picture to the 'review screen' iPad on the back of the costume. Here however I am running into problems.

I want to use a camera that allows for filters/styles that allows me to create moody b+w images that are vaguely akin to something you might get if shooting b+w film in a TLR. Loads of these apps exist. My day to day iPhone camera app is 'Camera+'.

1st problem: Most cameras make shooting and 'filtering' a two stage process. First you shoot, then you filter. For the costume to work seamlessly I need the filter to be able to be pre-chosen and applied at the time of shooting because I won't be able to see the iPhone and make adjustments without massively repositioning the costume.

Partial solution: There are some apps that allow 'live filtering' such as Camera Awesome. This will snap a b+w to be saved at the time of capture. This leads me too:

2nd problem: Apps like Camera Awesome that allow the 'live filtering' also often allow an automatic 'save to camera roll' feature that will save all taken shots to the camera roll. The problem is that it saves the unfiltered version, keeping the filtered copy within the apps own image library. For the photo streaming function to work, I need the image to be saved to the camera roll else it won't be added to my photo stream. In the current state, I can get the photo stream to update with a photo I shot on the iPhone, but not with the added b+w filter that adds the "craptastic-instagrammy-isnt-film-dead-lush™" look that brings the required soul to the costume!

SOO. I am looking for an app or solution that allows me to shoot, one handed, pre-filtered pictures and will then save THAT filtered image to the camera roll. Any ideas folks?!

Alternatively I may look into:

1. An alternative sharing service than Photo Stream
2. A wire and tethered shooting of some sort

But above all I want to filter and share the images to the iPad on the back WITHOUT looking at the iPhone.

So, crazy ones, that is your mission. If you can help me, I'll send you a photo of Charlotte (my girlfriend) in her rather sexed up Virgin Cabin Crew outfit that she is planning to wear...*

*DISCLAIMER - If you are a lady, or a man who likes me, I can send you a picture of me in a camera, should this be a preferable reward.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:29 AM
LivLif
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OFF TOPIC - Fancy Dress

Is your iPhone jail broken?

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:41 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OFF TOPIC - Fancy Dress

It is not. I do have a beaten up crappy iPhone 3G which I could jailbreak but it doesn't have a contract and the screen is broken, plus the camera is shite. Something to bear in mind though!

Cheers man.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:47 AM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · OFF TOPIC - Fancy Dress

Don't quote me on this but I think kitcam can auto upload to Dropbox, FTP, etc. you might be able to make that work out...

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:18 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · OFF TOPIC - Fancy Dress

Ps. What's wrong with using a Polaroid and having a printed version pop out! Much more fun then digital...

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:19 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · OFF TOPIC - Fancy Dress

Alex, Perfect! If Kitcam does that then it'll probably do the job! Dropbox was a concept I was thinking of!

As for polaroid, I'd be well up for that, except I don't own a Polaroid. Just bought a polaroid back for the Hassy but it hasn't arrived yet and I have no film and limited time!

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:31 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · OFF TOPIC - Fancy Dress

Bizarre timing. My Hasselblad pola back has JUST arrived.

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

That Photog
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · OFF TOPIC - Fancy Dress

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/10/26/a-instagram-camera-halloween-costume-that-actually-takes-pictures/

or

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/42792/ipad2-halloween-costume-hole-torso

may offer some ideas.

Mar 27, 2013 at 01:55 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · OFF TOPIC - Fancy Dress

Alex, Kitcam is awesome. Fulfilling like none of the other apps did. Now just gotta get the iPhone/iPad mounted just so!

Cheers again, will share the finished costume with you guys just as soon as it is finished!

Mar 27, 2013 at 06:09 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · OFF TOPIC - Fancy Dress

awesome! Can't wait to see it.

Mar 27, 2013 at 06:33 PM
LivLif
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · OFF TOPIC - Fancy Dress

Cool! Can't wit to see it

Mar 28, 2013 at 05:02 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · OFF TOPIC - Fancy Dress

Right folks! I need some more assistance from you fine people. First off, here's a picture of the nearly finished outfit to keep you interested!

So I've had loads of success with Kitcam which Alex recommended which has allowed me to auto upload images to dropbox/ftp/flickr etc.

The problem I am now having is that I'd like for the iPad on the reverse of the outfit to run an app that allows a full screen slideshow but one which will do two specific things:

1. Autoupdate as new images are taken
2. Progress to the latest taken image and stay there in a manner similar to the 'review' mode on a regular camera.

Hope that makes sense. Any pointers anyone can give for an iPad app/workflow that will help on this? Appreciation awaits!

Cheers guys

Tony

Mar 29, 2013 at 07:25 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · OFF TOPIC - Fancy Dress

Are you going to be able to fit through the door?

No idea on the app, you might find a website or something that could work though?

Mar 29, 2013 at 09:09 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · OFF TOPIC - Fancy Dress

I think so... I've had the host send me doorway measurements!

I'm trying to figure out a way to maybe achieve something through IFTTT.

Mar 29, 2013 at 09:16 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password