Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · HDR Botswana

JamieT

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · HDR Botswana

Here is the first of a selection of images I will post, shot on my travels. This image was taken in Botswana's Okavango Delta and if you know Botswana you will know it is a very flat environment. To take great landscape images, without blank blue skies, you need clouds to fill up and add detail to the upper half of your image.

I processed the image twice in HDR, one on monochrome and one in colour, then blended it Photoshop...

Cheers

Jamie
http://www.jamiethomsafaris.com/hdrlandscapes.html

www.jamiethomsafaris.com

Elephants greet

Mar 27, 2013 at 09:57 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · HDR Botswana

I really do enjoy the clouds here -- as you are saying, a shot like this would be difficult without them. I'm curious about your decision to use HDR though. This scene is well within the range of what a camera can show, and the only effect here is that it muddies up the midtones and creates some halos.

Mar 27, 2013 at 02:25 PM
JamieT

p.1 #3 · HDR Botswana

Hi Ben

You are right, its an effect and a look that I am experimenting with - I like the surreal feel of HDR, which seems to be finding its way into a lot of published material these days.

Mar 27, 2013 at 02:39 PM
GoranPhoto
• •
p.1 #4 · HDR Botswana

This is an excellent composition, but I am with Ben on the processing. It's all a matter of taste though. You got the hardest part right though

Mar 27, 2013 at 02:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #5 · HDR Botswana

Could always just play with exposure and do 2 different shots and do a blend, taking the best of land and sea.

Mar 27, 2013 at 04:21 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · HDR Botswana

Hey Jamie,

What a really cool composition you have here. Your style isn't really that appealing to me personally, but you are right, there seems to be a call for more of this stylized type processing. So with your intent towards that, I think you did a really good job with it.

Jim

Mar 27, 2013 at 05:46 PM
JamieT

p.1 #7 · HDR Botswana

Thanks guys, yes it isnt perhaps a great display of image processing! I will work on a few more images and see if I can improve the result!

Mar 28, 2013 at 08:27 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password