New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · CF Card malfunction

onesickpuppy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CF Card malfunction

I use 4 gig Sandisk Extreme IV cards for the last several years on a MKIII body.

Just got the 5DMKIII, went out to shoot an event.

As I was changing cards, I placed a new card in, went to format it, all went well (no errors or hicups)

BUT....then the card now only has 488 meg of size.........!!!!!!

Now at home tried everything to regain the full 4 gig size...no luck.....
Wiped card... reformatted both nts and fat and fat32
Confirmed byte size, etc.....no luck

Can someone advise what to do to restore original size?

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:54 PM
mrgetalife
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CF Card malfunction

If you need none of the photos on the card and don't need to recover any of it.

"Find" a receipt and send it in for warranty work. Where they'll 1) replace it or 2) Claim its counterfeit and not replace it.
Even if you were able to fix the card. I wouldn't trust it again.

Mar 27, 2013 at 02:53 AM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CF Card malfunction

Thanks for the suggestion....I have already removed any images that were on it (all 11 of them)
before I attempted to reformat.

Mar 27, 2013 at 08:28 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CF Card malfunction

Back when I was using a 4gig card in the 1D (mk1) when you had to trick the camera/card combo (2gig limit) . I know that if you formatted the card in camera it formatted as 2gig and then you couldn't get the other 2gig back without some form of DOS utility (its a long time ago but I seem to remember using DOS) . So maybe you could run something like that on the card.

But I must say.
Why are you using such small cards in today's cameras ? The 5D3 produces big files , I can't see 4 gig going that far. And yes I know there is alway the 'all your Eggs in one basket ' argument when it comes to larger cards but the counter augment (which I think holds much more water) is whats more likely to happen. A card with all your images on dies or all your cards get lost from your bag/pocket etc ? And also don't forget every time you insert or remove a card you run a risk of breaking the pins . (It happens quite alot) . So smaller cards mean more changes which means more risk .
Just my 2 cents

Mar 27, 2013 at 09:54 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.