New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Tea Time

SThom3095

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tea Time

I know I already posted this on the assignment... But I did it quick cause of time constraints - I still want to hear CC

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:44 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tea Time

I like the play between the teapot and background teacup, but the background itself is too busy for the already intricate pattern on the tea set. Diggin' the reflection for the cup, would have like to seen a similar (albeit shorter) one for the pot.

Also, the handle on the pot being cut off at the frames edge is a bit bothersome, and some cloning for the specular highlights might be something to consider. Maybe a slightly looser framing/crop to give it some more breathing room.

Mostly, these are degrees of refinement issues to watch for. I like the overall concept, and I like the fact that your use of dof harmonizes with your mass/weighting without conflict ... i.e. the teapot is large, the teapot is in focus, the cup is small, the cup is oof ... to draw the viewer to the teapot more strongly than the cup. Just those dang nits @ the bg, handle and specular highlights interfere with what I think would be a pleasant presentation of the pleasantry of the subject matter.

Maybe Karen could use this one to give us another lesson on extending the frame edges.

Mar 27, 2013 at 07:53 AM
SThom3095

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tea Time

Awesome, I appreciate the thoughts.
I also did not particularly like that I had to crop a tiny bit of the handle.... but I needed the box lid for the background, because the alternative was my TV and stereo system.. the box lid ended right at the edge there, so if I would have left more on the right, it would have had an even worse line from the edge of the background :/
I messed around with cloning out some of the specular highlights, but I'm not real good with that yet, and with all my fiddling, it just got worse. This is definitely a good one to practice on!
Thanks for the comments

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.