Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · SNOWPOCALYPS - USMNT vs Costa Rica WC Qualifier

Carl Auer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SNOWPOCALYPS - USMNT vs Costa Rica WC Qualifier

Ok. I have lived in Alaska for a total of 18 years, and up there as a photographer for 9 years. Since moving to Colorado in July of last year I have shot my first football game in a snow storm and covered the high school state soccer championships in a blizzard. But in all my years in Alaska shooting the Iditarod and skiing, I have never had a harder shoot than I had Friday night covering the World Cup qualifier between the US Men's National Team vs Costa Rica.

I got to the stadium and it was barely spitting a few snow flakes, but a cold wind was blowing. I had my Iditarod boots on, long underwear, wool socks, my Iditarod gloves, sock cap...plenty of clothes, but I can honestly say, it took me by surprise. When I came out on the field to shoot the game, they were plowing the field. The couple hours I was in the media room, a blizzard hit, and the amount of snow falling combined with the wind was horrible. I would take about 10 shots before I had to dump the snow out of my lens hood and clean my filter. I had trouble finding the shutter button because my fingers were numb. It was horrible......got to be my worst shoot ever. I really came away with nothing...had a killer bicycle kick right in front of me and focused on snow flakes instead of the play.

Here are some shots from the game....

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:36 PM
tmalone893
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SNOWPOCALYPS - USMNT vs Costa Rica WC Qualifier

That is unbelievable Carl. I feel for you. Great pictures with the conditions that you were dealing with at that time. Did the snow slow or throw off the AF of the camera?

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:52 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SNOWPOCALYPS - USMNT vs Costa Rica WC Qualifier

Wow, I heard the game was bad, but didn't see any shot of it. Looks like tough weather.

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:03 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SNOWPOCALYPS - USMNT vs Costa Rica WC Qualifier

tmalone893 wrote:
Did the snow slow or throw off the AF of the camera?

When I had no snow building up inside my lens hood, yes, I would shoot a series of 5 or 6 photos, the first would be in focus, then the 2nd through 4th would be focused on snow falling in front of me, and the 5th or 6th might be back in focus. But when the snow started building in my lens hood, snow would get on my filter and that made focusing harder. I was lucky and had another filter in my bag so at halftime I swapped filters so I had a clean one for the first 10 minutes of the second half.

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:50 PM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SNOWPOCALYPS - USMNT vs Costa Rica WC Qualifier

Watched that game on TV, and I feel your pain as I remember that bicycle kick. That would have been a great shot.

As a soccer fan, you caught the emotion and the extra drama of the game being played in the snow. I like 4 / 5 the best. Do you remember what lens you were using and where you were standing for 4 / 5?

BTW Tonight is USA vs Mexico! Bring home the 3 points boys!

Mar 26, 2013 at 08:50 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SNOWPOCALYPS - USMNT vs Costa Rica WC Qualifier

jspytek wrote:
I like 4 / 5 the best. Do you remember what lens you were using and where you were standing for 4 / 5?

I was sitting looking at the field, to the right of the goal about 2/3rds of the way to the right corner. I think all of these action shots were the Sigma 120-300 on the 7D

Mar 26, 2013 at 09:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

drbob
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SNOWPOCALYPS - USMNT vs Costa Rica WC Qualifier

Good effort in tough conditions, Carl. I saw this on the news or ESPN and wondered if you were shooting. Kind of a shame to try and play in those conditions... especially if it was a qualifier of some kind. Hope it didn't take you too long to warm up.

bb

Mar 27, 2013 at 01:31 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SNOWPOCALYPS - USMNT vs Costa Rica WC Qualifier

Those are some tough conditions. I've done football and soccer in rain where my photos looked like that. It was tough to do, and on a smaller stage then you had to go on! I like what you posted though.

Mar 27, 2013 at 01:37 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SNOWPOCALYPS - USMNT vs Costa Rica WC Qualifier

Carl Auer wrote:
Ok. I have lived in Alaska for a total of 18 years, and up there as a photographer for 9 years. Since moving to Colorado in July of last year I have shot my first football game in a snow storm and covered the high school state soccer championships in a blizzard. But in all my years in Alaska shooting the Iditarod and skiing, I have never had a harder shoot than I had Friday night covering the World Cup qualifier between the US Men's National Team vs Costa Rica.

I got to the stadium and it was barely spitting
...Show more

crazy conditions !

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SNOWPOCALYPS - USMNT vs Costa Rica WC Qualifier

Yeah, conditions were tough. I got an email last night from a photographer that was here for this game. He was shooting the US/Mexico game last night. He was bragging that it was 80 and pleasant, low humidity, no snow and he was in shorts and a tshirt for the match.... Last nights game would have been awesome to shoot.

Mar 27, 2013 at 05:20 PM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SNOWPOCALYPS - USMNT vs Costa Rica WC Qualifier

Carl Auer wrote:
Yeah, conditions were tough. I got an email last night from a photographer that was here for this game. He was shooting the US/Mexico game last night. He was bragging that it was 80 and pleasant, low humidity, no snow and he was in shorts and a tshirt for the match.... Last nights game would have been awesome to shoot.

But could he breath the air? Gotta love a place that is not like any other place to shoot!

Mar 27, 2013 at 06:19 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SNOWPOCALYPS - USMNT vs Costa Rica WC Qualifier

Ed, I was wondering that too. I have heard horror stories about Azteca from both the photographers standpoint to fans. I have heard you do not want to be in the lower level because the fans will use cups to go to the bathroom so they do not miss a minute of the match then pour it over the edge. Yuck! :P

Mar 27, 2013 at 06:26 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password