Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

M Lucca
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

Why are they using a Canon 7d? The one BT tower one was also a 7d. Why

Mar 27, 2013 at 05:04 AM
stanj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

M Lucca wrote:
Why are they using a Canon 7d? The one BT tower one was also a 7d. Why

Higher pixel density. Budget constraints. Who knows. The 100-400 doesn't make much sense other than "it's already in the bag", as has been pointed out already. Panos "just because we can" rather than because it makes sense or is visually appealing.

Mar 27, 2013 at 06:16 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

It is nice to have such a comprehensive visual overview of that venerable site.
Indeed, if they used 400 f/2.8 IS or 500 f/4 lens, the result might have been better looking technically. However, they went out there and they did it, so kudos to them for that.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM
verbiage
• •
p.2 #4 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

hans98ko wrote:
Thanks Fred!
Reminds me of my trip there in the 1980's when they were still building the road from the railway station at the bottom of the valley next to the Urubamba river up to the Bingham hotel at Machu Picchu.
In those days if one wants to see Machu Picchu they'll have to hike a couple of days by trial and some were even robbed by gunmen while they were camping on the trial.
The spot that they mounted their camera is where we camped and slept waiting for the sun to rise behind us, lighting up Machu Picchu the following day.
It
...Show more

Great story, Hans.

S.K.

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM
hans98ko
• • •
p.2 #5 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

plasticmotif wrote:
If you don't have something nice to say....

Also, I bet there isn't a higher resolution picture out there.

I donít think Guari is trying to say anything bad or trying to discredit the team who has spent a large sum of money and effort getting there to capture the images. But what he said does have some truth in it.
As one who has been there and knew the condition they were in, and also having shot both film and digital as well as getting involved in the design and testing of photographic equipment, I do agree that the 1,920 stitched images taken with a 7D and a 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L zoom lens is a little over done.
Even though the final 16 Giga Pixel image has lots of pixel in it, there is also lots of misinformation due to software interpolation.
As one can see the 7D do have lots of tiny pixels due to the fact that it has a cropped sensor, together with the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L lens which has a distortion level of -0.6% Barrel at 100mm to it best at 0.25% Pinch at 400mm. With a total of 1,920 images there will be lots of interpolation error due to distortion, the shadows casted by the moving sun, the movement caused by wind on the greenery and finally the movement of animals (the IIamas and Guanacos that were kept there for tourism) and tourists. Because of the numerous joins from the 1,920 frame edges, there is already lots of misinformation due to the lens distortion, plus that of the moving shadows which will even contribute more to the misinformation, and then there is the wind that caused the movement of trees and bushes which will make it even more difficult to interpolate between one row and the next or a column to the next, please do remember that they are taking a very small section at a time and in order to complete the 1,920 images it will take them a couple of hours. From what I know they started late in the morning with the sun casting a shadow directly above and slightly behind, by the time they have finished the sun would have been casting the shadow from the front. Because of this the final stitched image looks mushy except for the stationary stone structure.
I was trying to look at the path that we used to climbed up Huayna Picchu with ropes and found that the greenery there is totally garbage due to movement and digitization. No, the ropes are no more there, being replace by a stone path and erosion walls up till the very top just below the peak.
I than project my close to 30 years old slightly discolored slides on a silver breaded projection screen taken with my F3T and a 50mm f/1.2 @ f/5.6 or f8 and compare that to the 16 GP image on my 32 inch Full HD Screen at about the same image size and found that my slide image looks a lot better with more details.
Truly, to overcome this they should have use a high MP camera like the D800/E with an 85mm, 105mm or a 135mm prime lens with low distortion level and stitch it with just 5 frames or 9 frames that will give better results. One would ask why an 85mm, 105mm or a 135mm prime? That is because the whole image can be taken with a 50mm with an angle of view of 46į. To use minimum frames will give less interpolation errors.
Stitching is only for die-die must have that image type of situation, or else it would be better off with just a single capture.

Regards,
Hans

Mar 27, 2013 at 03:51 PM
hans98ko
• • •
p.2 #6 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

verbiage wrote:
Great story, Hans.

S.K.

Thanks!

Mar 27, 2013 at 03:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Guari
• • •
p.2 #7 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

hans98ko wrote:
I donít think Guari is trying to say anything bad or trying to discredit the team who has spent a large sum of money and effort getting there to capture the images. But what he said does have some truth in it.
As one who has been there and knew the condition they were in, and also having shot both film and digital as well as getting involved in the design and testing of photographic equipment, I do agree that the 1,920 stitched images taken with a 7D and a 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L zoom lens is a little over done.
Even though the
...Show more

Yes, I did not mean it on a bad way. I see photography both as art and as a mean to preserve memories. I sometimes forget that photography, for some people, is more about the tech and gear aspect. To some it is irrelevant if the is visually pleasant or not. And it is totally ok to be a gear lover who cares little about the end result but just for the bits, bytes and pixels... I mean this is mostly a gear forum, so it's to be expected.

What I stated is an opinion and as such it does not have to be shared by others. I see no merit in the output as it is bland and it stirs zero emotional response from me, as a viewer. I do not care to zoom into the gazillion pixels of a photo if it doesn't hook me from the beginning.

I do respect the fact that the guy went to machu pichu and hauled the whole gigapan thingy, the tripod, the camera and some water. I'm quite sure he had to break a sweat to get there with the equipment. I also respect the guys who had to use mules, ropes, machetes, tents, malaria pills, 8x10 cameras, film, holders, food, water and a lot of other things in order to make pictures after it's discovery in 1911.

This is a nice experiment.. I'm sure he enjoyed himself in the process of being the first to ever produce a super pixel image of machu pichu..

If anyone has any interest, I'm linking some google images taken on 1911:

Pics of 1911

Mar 27, 2013 at 04:55 PM
alexdi
• •
p.2 #8 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

I'm with Guari and others. This is a picture I wouldn't glance twice at. On the technical side, the panorama mount appears to be totally automated. The main achievement seems to have been procuring the plane ticket to Peru. I'd like to have seen the result if the photographer was up early enough to catch a sunrise.

Mar 27, 2013 at 05:12 PM
patrick66

p.2 #9 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

I found a body less pair off legs comming down on some stairs.
Its a nice picture to look at but then you remember its not so much the photographer that makes the picture but the device and the software.

Mar 27, 2013 at 05:36 PM
hans98ko
• • •
p.2 #10 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

@Guari
Thanks for sharing, I think there are a couple of pictures taken much later then 1911 base on the type of clothing worn compare to that of the founder Hiram Bingham.
There is even one that looks like me looking back and I am very sure it could not be. That is too much of a co-incident to be capture by someone and seeing it some 30 years later.

Mar 27, 2013 at 05:56 PM
Allynb
• • •
p.2 #11 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

Way cool! Where's Waldo?

Mar 28, 2013 at 04:21 PM
CAlbertson

p.2 #12 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

I am surprised the photographer did not make a "backup" pano. with an about 50mm lens. Then he would have been able to remove the floating heads and what not by using some lower resolution background or in case of a lost high res shot.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:57 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password