Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 7D & EF 100-400 IS lens
Photographer Jeff Cremer captured the highest resolution photo of Machu Picchu.

Machu Picchu is located in the Cusco Region of Peru, and it's one of the Seven Wonders of the World. It's often referred to as the "Lost City of the Incas".

Cremer and his crew used a Canon EOS 7D, an EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM lens, and a Gigapan camera mount to capture the 1920 images used for the 16 Gigapixels final Pano.

Click here for full 16 Gigapixel panorama.

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:31 PM
burningheart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

Very interesting, Thanks Fred.

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:56 PM
picajun
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

burningheart wrote:
Very interesting, Thanks Fred.

Ditto, very nice

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:02 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

sweet

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:04 PM
Sellerman
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

Find the brown bunny..

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:21 PM
Cloudbow
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

That is awesome! Leave it to me to zoom in on probably the one spot with a blip. I found the top third of a guy's head floating next to a wall.

Bev

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:29 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

Too bad they didn't wait for / had better light.

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:33 PM
Cloudbow
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

I guess unattached body parts are not uncommon. I found another detached head bouncing down a stairway and a pair of legs from the knees down walking down another stairway. Found these while looking for the brown bunny that Sellerman mentioned! Haven't found it yet.

Bev

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:37 PM
Rebel Guy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

Excellent find Fred, Thanks for sharing. I love Machu Picchu...wish I could go there.

-Frank

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:49 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

Cloudbow wrote:
I guess unattached body parts are not uncommon. I found another detached head bouncing down a stairway and a pair of legs from the knees down walking down another stairway. Found these while looking for the brown bunny that Sellerman mentioned! Haven't found it yet.

Bev

Yes, He needs to clone those out. Here are a couple floating heads I found. The third one I believe is the photographer...

Headless body 1

Headless body 2

Photographer

Mar 26, 2013 at 08:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Guari
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

Yes.. Great for technology and all, but the end result couldn't be any more bland. There are soooo much better images from machu pichu... Heck, there are even better film images from there...

I do not see the merit on this. It makes me think, so what?

Mar 26, 2013 at 08:08 PM
cookie99

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

Once again Fred you amaze me with the breadth of the fantastic information you provide to us mere mortals, at my august age and infirmity it stimulates my brain more than most other sites on the web.

For that Sir I am indebted to you.

Chris

Mar 26, 2013 at 09:22 PM
Valentin
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

Where is Waldo?

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:19 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

Guari wrote:
Yes.. Great for technology and all, but the end result couldn't be any more bland. There are soooo much better images from machu pichu... Heck, there are even better film images from there...

With all do respect I think your comment is like saying back in the 60s "going to the moon is great and all but what's the point?". IMO things like (doing things because we can) are the driving force behind research and development which translates into more techonological advancements.

Edited on Mar 27, 2013 at 12:56 AM · View previous versions

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:25 AM
plasticmotif
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

Guari wrote:

If you don't have something nice to say....

Also, I bet there isn't a higher resolution picture out there.

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:31 AM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

It's a nifty photo. However, zooming as far in as the viewer allows puts you well past the level of real resolution in the image. My own rough estimates, from zooming out to what I'd consider reasonable resolution for a 100% crop and estimating the fraction of the whole scene, puts the "useful" amount of data in the image at ~1Gpxl --- the remaining factor of 16 just gives you blurry mush.

In other words, you should be able to get about the same actual image info (more quickly and with less processing/storage) by using a sharper wider lens (e.g. a 100mm, instead of a 100-400 @ 400mm); I suspect it would be even better, since I see a lot of areas where the imperfect corner performance of the 100-400 (which would be handily beat by, e.g., a 100/2.8L) creates blurry zones. Chasing after the "biggest number of pixels" is somewhat of an empty feat if 15/16ths of the pixels aren't worth viewing (though the remaining reasonably sharp 1Gpxl of panorama is still a not unimpressive feat).

Mar 27, 2013 at 03:02 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

Valentin wrote:
Where is Waldo?

With Carmen SanDiego.

Mar 27, 2013 at 03:11 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

mpmendenhall wrote:
It's a nifty photo. However, zooming as far in as the viewer allows puts you well past the level of real resolution in the image. My own rough estimates, from zooming out to what I'd consider reasonable resolution for a 100% crop and estimating the fraction of the whole scene, puts the "useful" amount of data in the image at ~1Gpxl --- the remaining factor of 16 just gives you blurry mush.

In other words, you should be able to get about the same actual image info (more quickly and with less processing/storage) by using a sharper wider lens (e.g. a
...Show more
+1

Mar 27, 2013 at 03:11 AM
Cloudbow
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

Fred Miranda wrote:
Yes, He needs to clone those out. Here are a couple floating heads I found. The third one I believe is the photographer...

Fred, you found the photographer. I found the photographer's friend!

We should get a prize, huh?

Bev

Photographer's Friend

Mar 27, 2013 at 03:41 AM
hans98ko
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 16 Gigapixel Machu Picchu with Canon 100-400mm lens

Thanks Fred!
Reminds me of my trip there in the 1980's when they were still building the road from the railway station at the bottom of the valley next to the Urubamba river up to the Bingham hotel at Machu Picchu.
In those days if one wants to see Machu Picchu they'll have to hike a couple of days by trial and some were even robbed by gunmen while they were camping on the trial.
The spot that they mounted their camera is where we camped and slept waiting for the sun to rise behind us, lighting up Machu Picchu the following day.
It is a great sight watching the sun rise over it, and I have a couple of rolls of slides taken with my Nikon F3T which I still have in my collection.
We even climbed up to the peak of the famous Huayna Picchu behind Machu Picchu by ropes to take pictures of the sunset, but it is risky coming down in the dark even with head lamps. Now a days they close and lock up the place in the evening so there is no way one can stay behind to watch the sunset. At the peak there is only space for two to three people standing but not sleeping, one rollover will land you at the bottom of the vertical peak.
Nice going back to memory lane.

Mar 27, 2013 at 04:17 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password