Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · 4 hours coverage $700 - disc, all done!

CMB Photo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 4 hours coverage $700 - disc, all done!

I still think about that recent thread about local economies, vs. money allocated towards photography, etc...
It was a lot of good information there. A lot of food for thoughts.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1196256/0

So...
I know it can get personal and maybe even controversial, which I hope it will not be that way here.
I'd like to discuss pluses and minuses of adding smaller, 4 hrs. offers with potentially no album/book, just a disc.
We, personally, tried to stay away from going this path for some time now. In the past, we had a few inquiries asking about smaller options, and we had to turn them down. I think we all here can relate to that (?) However, given that the economy is still crap, we see more and more people looking for such options. Should we have it as an option? Would it bring all other prices (price formula) down? Would it keep us longer (if not forever) in low budget's market? Will it create more problems in a long run? Personally, as I said above, we haven't shot anything less than oh well 6 hrs + (8 hrs average coverage) for some time now. And so now with obviously higher demand for shorter/cheaper coverage, it looks like "not so bad idea".
For those who can say "this is stupid idea", please say why you would never do it wearing our shoes, not your personal situations.
(we're weekend shooters, 2-nds, more in a beginning (10 own weddings; 40-50 2nds. trying to shoot more own stuff. so the 2013 goal is 5 weddings (8-10 hrs each)), Location: Kansas City, smaller package starts at $2K)

The idea to ask FMers cam from this ad: http://www.weddingbug.com/Wedding-Photography-Packages.aspx

Thanks to all for your inputs.

Maks

Mar 26, 2013 at 05:50 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · 4 hours coverage $700 - disc, all done!

I dont advertise it, but I have done 2 hour weddings for $700-1k. I treat it like a portrait session. I actually have one next week. 1.5 hours is all they need. 30 minutes for the ceremony and 1 hour for fun photos. $900. She is prego and just wants the ceremony covered with some fun stuff after. Thats it. I make $900, get the rest of my day free and she gets awesome photos.

So is it something I would do. Hell yea. I would do 40 2 hour weddings a year for $1k or so each. WOuld I advertise it? not a chance. I think by advertising it, you are not putting yourself in the lower bracket and will be know as that cheap guy.

I am sure a lot of people here will say, no they wont do it. I respect that and that is how their business is run. Now a 4 hour package? No I would not advertise that either. Everyone is going to book that because it is lower and then nickel and dime you to get more stuff for cheap.

This is one of the reasons I took our pricing off our site. That way people will inquire and if they say they only need a few hours I will send a custom quote along with our normal pricing. I do get people that inquire for 2 hours and then see our normal pricing and they say for $1k more I can get 8 hours. Hell yea lets do it.

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:01 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #3 · 4 hours coverage $700 - disc, all done!

I see your point Nick. Probably that's what I was looking for. So, just to make it clear - with the 1,5 hr session (I'll call it this way ) What do they get? A disc?

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:06 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · 4 hours coverage $700 - disc, all done!

Yes they get the disc of edited photo with rights to print up to 8x10. Anything over they have to go through me. 99% of the time they do come to me for prints.

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:14 PM
NYstyles
• •
p.1 #5 · 4 hours coverage $700 - disc, all done!

I do a 4 hour but I charge double that. I live in a smaller city in Upstate NY. I offer 4, 6, 8. The more hours the less it costs.

Ive been booking more 6 hour over 8 hour this year. Any 4 hour I have booked has been a vow renewal, a second quick wedding, and its usually booked a few moths before the date. Couples are going for what they Really need and can afford. Its better to go with limited coverage with some one good over mediocre with more hours. Also not every couple wants getting ready photos and you to stay till the end...

Im not married yet, have no children, and my cost of living is fairly low compared to a big city so I can take smaller wedding coverage packages. I dont need a $4000+ wedding for every wedding I take. I have portrait fill in.

My 4 & 6 hour are a single shooter, a drive with print/web images, and a web gallery. My 8 hour comes with a second and an engagement session. I also have a 8 hour with a second, e session, and album. I also throw in Save the Date or thank you 4x6 postcards.

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:18 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · 4 hours coverage $700 - disc, all done!

NYstyles wrote:
I do a 4 hour but I charge double that. I live in a smaller city in Upstate NY. I offer 4, 6, 8. The more hours the less it costs.

Ive been booking more 6 hour over 8 hour this year. .

Me too. I have more 7 hour weddings than all day weddings. It ends up the 7 hour weddings I will make more because they will add parent albums and more after the fact. Plus I wont be totally dead the following day and can book more portrait sessions if I want.

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:22 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #7 · 4 hours coverage $700 - disc, all done!

NYstyles wrote:

Ive been booking more 6 hour over 8 hour this year. Any 4 hour I have booked has been a vow renewal, a second quick wedding, and its usually booked a few moths before the date. Couples are going for what they Really need and can afford. Its better to go with limited coverage with some one good over mediocre with more hours. Also not every couple wants getting ready
...Show more

Thank you! Going back to Nick's comment, let me ask you this - do you have your 4 hrs shown advertised or offered once couple leans towards it?

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:23 PM
NYstyles
• •
p.1 #8 · 4 hours coverage $700 - disc, all done!

This is my price listing from my site on my wedding info page. I sit mid to high price for my area. 4 hour is my starting price.

Starts at $1400

Contact for full price info. Average spent $2800-$4200

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:34 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · 4 hours coverage $700 - disc, all done!

I have a 4 hour package but charge 1700. I advertise it but it rarely gets used. One or two a year.

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:43 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #10 · 4 hours coverage $700 - disc, all done!

lilyphoto wrote:
I have a 4 hour package but charge 1700. I advertise it but it rarely gets used. One or two a year.

does it help though to book other higher coverage? Or am I missing something in such strategy?

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

NYstyles
• •
p.1 #11 · 4 hours coverage $700 - disc, all done!

paparazzinick wrote:
Me too. I have more 7 hour weddings than all day weddings. It ends up the 7 hour weddings I will make more because they will add parent albums and more after the fact. Plus I wont be totally dead the following day and can book more portrait sessions if I want.

Yup, its all about affording coverage for limited hours and eliminating extras. I get it, I can barley afford myself right now! lol Extras can always come later. I sell my couples what They need not what I want. 4-6 hours is plenty of time to tell a story. I do like full coverage as I personally like to do beginning to end but its not about me its about them. Id rather do limited hours over them hiring a hack to get more hours... And they picked Me over hundreds of photographers listed in my area at the same price point as I...

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:50 PM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.1 #12 · 4 hours coverage $700 - disc, all done!

We have a 6 hour package.

We list that our wedding bookings start at $2400, and mini weddings bookings start at $1,950 for 6 hours, no product (we are always able to upsell this package into an album or digital files, thankfully).

Anyway, I don't think 4 hours would be enough time to capture an actual wedding. If they were doing a courthouse wedding or a civil ceremony or something, I'd just book it as an upgraded and customized portrait session.

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:57 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #13 · 4 hours coverage $700 - disc, all done!

I have a good friend who just asked me to shoot their wedding in Sept. 2013. We didn't sit down yet. He's retired guy, second marriage, so I bet they'll be looking for something smaller. Him or alike, I don't feel saying "nope, we only shoot full weddings" sounds right, plus like I said, I'd like to book more smaller, custom weddings but not to get in to cheap-commody-price-looking-market.
Funny, but still wanna ask, do you pack less gear for these sessions/small weddings.

Prettym1k3, our 8 hr, two phogs w/ leather album starts at 1999 - well the mortgage also not as much as CA...

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:05 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #14 · 4 hours coverage $700 - disc, all done!

This is kinda timely for me as I have an inquiry for a 1.5hr small wedding. I don't know how to go about with it. Never done such short weddings before. Our shoots start at $2000 for 8hr.

Will be watching this thread.

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:06 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #15 · 4 hours coverage $700 - disc, all done!

i can't believe it... even how it sounds "1.5 small wedding"...that's totally different, wow...
brings me to a potential situation: one' booked 1.5 wedding and then got enquiry for 8 hr wedding for the same date? (busy wedding season) what do you do?

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:10 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · 4 hours coverage $700 - disc, all done!

NYstyles wrote:
Yup, its all about affording coverage for limited hours and eliminating extras. I get it, I can barley afford myself right now! lol Extras can always come later. I sell my couples what They need not what I want. 4-6 hours is plenty of time to tell a story. I do like full coverage as I personally like to do beginning to end but its not about me its about them. Id rather do limited hours over them hiring a hack to get more hours... And they picked Me over hundreds of photographers listed in my area at the same
...Show more

It has taken me years to overcome shooting for myself and shooting for my clients. I used to only want 8-12 hour gigs. Now I will take anything as my clients dont always want or need 8-12 hours.

Some people are too proud of them selves and wont do smaller packages.

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:23 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #17 · 4 hours coverage $700 - disc, all done!

CMB Photo wrote:
does it help though to book other higher coverage? Or am I missing something in such strategy?

Well, it's my only package that doesn't come with any session(s) so I point people in that direction if they are looking for wedding coverage only. Most add on at least 2 hours. Most of my couples spend 3-4k.

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:24 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #18 · 4 hours coverage $700 - disc, all done!

From what little I know, I can say that there's a demand for less than 8 hrs weddings, so need to be flexible, I guess.

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:33 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #19 · 4 hours coverage $700 - disc, all done!

CMB Photo wrote:
From what little I know, I can say that there's a demand for less than 8 hrs weddings, so need to be flexible, I guess.

Definitely. In fact, it's rare for us to provide more than 8 hours of coverage. I have 2 nine hour weddings so far this year. We're usually there for 7 hours on the day of.

In our area, the most popular weddings venues are often near houses. There are strict sound ordinances and a lot of my couples have to be done and out for the night by 10 or 11 p.m.
With most ceremonies starting at 6, we usually start coverage 2 hours before the start time. There just isn't really any reason for us to be there any longer than 7 hours for a lot of our weddings.

Mar 26, 2013 at 08:34 PM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.1 #20 · 4 hours coverage $700 - disc, all done!

lilyphoto wrote:

With most ceremonies starting at 6, we usually start coverage 2 hours before the start time. There just isn't really any reason for us to be there any longer than 7 hours for a lot of our weddings.

Must be nice! Most of my ceremonies start and 1 or 2 or 3. Receptions go till midnight or 1 a.m. I don't recall ever working 7 hours.

Mar 26, 2013 at 08:54 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password