Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · New D800 focus issues fixed?

OO7MIKE
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New D800 focus issues fixed?

I've held off on purchasing a D800 because of the random nature of getting on that doesn't have a focus issue. i was curious if Nikon had fixed the issue and if newer cameras rolling off the factory are free of this issue?

Thanks!

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:55 PM
pmac1985
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New D800 focus issues fixed?

I don't think anyone could tell you the true answer. Nikon say they have but I take that with a pinch of salt.
I bought mine in September and it suffered issues, left and just general AF issues.
The left side was softer than the middle and right(I would say the right was the sharpest) and even with the middle/ right points it would miss focus even when set up and with static targets.
It's now being returned to Nikon for the second time along with all my lens as it came back even worse after they supposedly fixed it the first time. Nearly all my lens back focused that bad that a full +20 MA couldn't sort my two primes and my 24-70 was okay at +18(I think it was) but that was -12 before hand.

I wouldn't advise not buying one, just make sure you check it within any time you may have for returning it.

There are plenty of happy users with no issues though.

Edited on Mar 26, 2013 at 04:03 PM · View previous versions

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:02 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New D800 focus issues fixed?

To be honest, I don't think there is a person on this board that could answer that question for you with 100% accuracy.

What would they know? Would they randomly start buying cameras and testing them? People have either bought the camera and loved it, or they bought and sent in to have fixed, or they just returned it.

Was there any big announcement by Nikon... No...

A large part revolves around how you would use the camera. If you are going to do a lot of landscapes, or still photography - just buy it. Use live view, contrast detect and don't look back.

My camera is Sn# 350, an early one. I never had an issue.

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:03 PM
jlawrence
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New D800 focus issues fixed?

I used one this weekend that was delivered in December. No focus issues whatsoever.

used it with an 85mm 1.4G and 35mm 1.4G- only focus issue I had was that my eyes aren't good enough to notice how thin focus was at these apertures.

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:21 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New D800 focus issues fixed?

I had a D800 and now a D800E, never had a focus issue. Everybody's experience will be different, as far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as focusing issues with the D800.

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:29 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New D800 focus issues fixed?

Ignorant is bliss. I tell it to the D600 folks. Just shoot wide open baby and don't point it at bright featureless scenes!

Mar 26, 2013 at 05:28 PM
Chris Dees
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New D800 focus issues fixed?

M Lucca wrote:
Ignorant is bliss. I tell it to the D600 folks. Just shoot wide open baby and don't point it at bright featureless scenes!

I guess you speak from your own experience.

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:15 PM
talexander
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New D800 focus issues fixed?

My d800 works perfectly. I think the issue seems to have been in earlier bodies and sometimes a trip to nikon fixes it and sometimes it doesn't. Seeing the HUGE number of images on Flikr by D800's (3.7 million now) I'd say atleast some are focusing properly.

Tim

Mar 26, 2013 at 08:27 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New D800 focus issues fixed?

there is always the old saying that sharpness is a bourgeois concept. having said that, I know people who just purchased D800E this month still experience the same issue. guess there is nothing new under the sun.

Mar 26, 2013 at 09:04 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New D800 focus issues fixed?

i actually took the effort to send my most bugged D800 in again with full description of problems, proofs, and lot of "hate" letters.
It is in the service there for 19 days now, awaiting any resolution.
As it have been it#s 4th visit in the service now for same issue, i am entitled for refund by the law so i will see if this time they fix it or pay me full "then" price which was almost 1000 above current price

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New D800 focus issues fixed?

My Dd800 focuses properly. It came to me refurbished just before the holidays.

Mar 27, 2013 at 01:59 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New D800 focus issues fixed?

mshi wrote:
there is always the old saying that sharpness is a bourgeois concept.

i think it is completely misquoted. Sharpness in good photos have very little effect on the image as a whole, but sharpness which is there, but on a wrong place is something what makes od destroys the image.
I had no problems to shoot with bad glass and sell the images. But when image even for amateur screams that it was meant to be differently, that is something else. All imho of course.

Mar 27, 2013 at 05:49 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New D800 focus issues fixed?

Thom Hogan was running his own survey of test results for people who responded with results of a test that he devised to identify the presence of the left-sensor focus issue (but not any other issues). He came up with a significant percentage of defective cameras but he reported back in September 2012 (I think) that the problems were drying up. It seemed that after one or two failed attempts Nikon had finally sorted out the issue and that any new reports were most likely from those with older as yet unfixed cameras or incorrectly fixed cameras. So long as you buy new stock you can be sure that it has no left-sensor AF issue.

He was quite dark on Nikon about the problems and especially the way Nikon managed them but as it gets no mention these days I am sure that the problem has been fixed by Nikon. Certainly my D800E seems to be OK.

You would still have to apply AF tuning to any camera/lens combination to get the best from it, but that goes for all cameras and lenses these days, regardless of brand. Be aware that D800s that got the early not-so-successful fix had a habit of running out of fine tune adjustment. They might need to be fixed again, properly.

- Alan

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Jonathan
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New D800 focus issues fixed?

I had one(D800E) last summer that was great and no issues. I sold it in favor of the D4. Wanting to add the D800E I ordered one 2 weeks ago. It was way off, left focus issue(which I always thought was a myth until I got one), af tuning of +/- 20 could not even correct some lenses that are fine with my D4.

I sent it back, won't buy another, even though I love the camera.

I'm very thankful to have a D4 and will keep it for a long time. It's really an amazing camera.

Mar 29, 2013 at 05:42 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New D800 focus issues fixed?

Alan321 wrote:
So long as you buy new stock you can be sure that it has no left-sensor AF issue.

as it gets no mention these days I am sure that the problem has been fixed by Nikon

Very wrong on both counts. Look at other forums and there are PLENTY of people getting brand new 800s from major retailers with the left-focus issue.

Mar 29, 2013 at 08:25 PM
vtec44
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New D800 focus issues fixed?

In my case, Nikon DOES NOT have a fix for the asymmetrical focus issue. I sent my camera in 3 times and all 3 times came back with the same focus problem, if not worse.

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:14 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New D800 focus issues fixed?

vtec44 wrote:
In my case, Nikon DOES NOT have a fix for the asymmetrical focus issue. I sent my camera in 3 times and all 3 times came back with the same focus problem, if not worse.

In retrospect, I can perfectly understand why Nikon issued the technical guide for D800 line before the official shipment. They KNEW there is the infamous AF problem so they decided to buy some time by telling users if images are blurry its operators' fault. However, when the issue was indeed largely discovered by users, Nikon lied again by stating the problem was caused by incorrect data tables stored in the firmware to minimize the impact on its brand. By now, we know what kind of company Nikon has become. Shame!

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:27 PM
HugoD

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New D800 focus issues fixed?

Bought mine in February this year and focus is perfect. Firmware was already updated to A 1.00 / B1.01. I'm really happy with my purchase although I know that lots of people had issues with their camera. The more I use it, the more I like it.

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New D800 focus issues fixed?

vtec44 wrote:

Same here, though I only sent it in twice (once last year, and once last month). I also went to a store last week and tried out a new one to compare (serial 305..., while mine is 301...), and it still had the left focus issue, actually worse than my old D800.

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:37 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password