New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Trying noise?

Logan Newell

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trying noise?

I dont know how I feel about this edit I did... its a toss up.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trying noise?

Nice shot of the bridal couple. Better if the groom was looking at the bride. As for the foreground? It would work better as part of a series of shots in wedding album or slide show where the "blob" in the foreground is first seen and understood. But here, presented individually without any context, the OOF blob in the foreground (MOB?) is a distraction.

If is is in fact the MOB the shot would be more effective in a wider shot from a higher POV looking over Mom's shoulder showing the back of her head with head and shoulder framing couple vs. peering around her backside.

Mar 26, 2013 at 08:20 AM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trying noise?

Chop the frame in half. There is nothing telling you that the left side is important at all. It's just an OOF blob. I thought it was a wall.

I'm not seeing where the noise that you added is, and what it's accomplishing.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:34 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trying noise?

+1 @ dave/chuck. I was thinking dirty wall/column/etc. till Chuck mentioned MOB or maybe potential recipient @ about to toss bouquet.

Either way, the oof has insufficient information to contribute to the story line. The amount of mass that is has relative to that which we do understand (bride/groom/bouquet) commands us away from something meaningfully conveyed to something @ .
I'd look at trimming it back sufficiently (1/2, 2/3, 3/4, i.e. whatever works) to render a pleasing balance/scale/framing to the rest of the scene.

Noise/grain ... I think you're a bit in "no man's land" ... somewhere between noticeably artistic rendering/old school vibe and just used cheap equipment that couldn't render good detail. Like dave says ... hard to see what it is accomplishing, other than loss of detail. Maybe in print it plays nice with tones, but here it suggests to me that it probably needs less or more, but not what you've got right now.

I think the concept was good, but the execution missed the mark a bit on this one ... don't give up on your vision/concept, just work through the bugs to refine it.

Here's a couple crops to show how the reduction in mass changes the image. The first two are straight crops, the last two have a bit of rotation to straighten up the verticals. Just illustration, not necessarily ideal ... that will come in context from what/how strong of a message you are trying to convey to your viewer.

Mar 28, 2013 at 08:35 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.