New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Security risks in wi-fi enabled cameras

snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Security risks in wi-fi enabled cameras

Demonstration shows a 1DX being compromised, including hijacking photos and taking full unauthorized control of the camera. Video includes recommendations on how to secure your wi-fi enabled camera.

http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=14651

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:23 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Security risks in wi-fi enabled cameras

I see i'm not the only one reading slashdot here - i was just about to post this up too

When the 6D was released i wondered how long it would take for the WiFi security to get broken.

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:58 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Security risks in wi-fi enabled cameras

Slash dot?

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:43 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Security risks in wi-fi enabled cameras

RobertLynn wrote:
Slash dot?

GIYF.

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:44 AM
Mickey
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Security risks in wi-fi enabled cameras

jcolwell wrote:
GIYF.

GIFY?

Mar 26, 2013 at 08:38 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Security risks in wi-fi enabled cameras

Google will quite happily tell you what GIYF (not the other way) means, as well as slashdot. I've gotten out of the slashdot habit, should get back into it.

Mar 26, 2013 at 09:13 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Security risks in wi-fi enabled cameras

Google is your friend, GIYF.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:01 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Security risks in wi-fi enabled cameras

jcolwell wrote:
Google is your friend, GIYF.

Gay in Five Years, GIFY. Best not to mix those up....

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Security risks in wi-fi enabled cameras

RobertLynn wrote:
Slash dot?

As their tagline says - "News for nerds. Stuff that matters".

I was curious how long it would take for someone to crack it. I tried out the wireless on the 6D but it was way to clunky to be usable.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Chumma
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Security risks in wi-fi enabled cameras

As I understand it, one suggestion the guys in the video recommend is to secure your wireless network using encryption. Does the IDX have the option to enter a passphrase to encrypt the Wifi communication?

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Access
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Security risks in wi-fi enabled cameras

Chumma wrote:
As I understand it, one suggestion the guys in the video recommend is to secure your wireless network using encryption. Does the IDX have the option to enter a passphrase to encrypt the Wifi communication?

It's weak. Wifi encryption is better than nothing, but the truth is, wireless is best not used for things that need a reasonable level of security.

The original WEP was a joke, in practice WPA/WPA2 isn't much better. In truth you should not be using Wifi if you are even slightly paranoid about security. Unless you have an actual application for it, best to turn it off and leave it off.

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:20 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Security risks in wi-fi enabled cameras

I thought WPA/WPA2 was still secure.

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:34 PM
steve126a

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Security risks in wi-fi enabled cameras

I can see this being a concern for someone in the Pentagon shooting photos, or perhaps the White House photographer capturing sensitive images, but in reality, is this a danger for the average photographer?

Would someone be interested in hacking my camera wi-fi so they can steal all my pictures of cats and test charts?

I generally leave the wi-fi off unless I'm actively using the app.

EDIT: Well I just watched the video, and the presenters made some good points about product photographers shooting new, unreleased product photos. I could see someone hacking a camera to leak shots of the newest gadget or concept car.

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:35 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Security risks in wi-fi enabled cameras

WPA/WPA2: More secure than WAP, but in the scheme of things, its still not secure.
It's not just WPA/WPA2 but all the other stuff that goes around it. Most routers are susceptible to any number of hacks and once the router has been compromised, then all bets are pretty much off.

steve126a, I think it mostly just depends on how paranoid you are, or how paranoid you want to be. In theory it's not just stealing your photos but also sabotaging your operations or even planting false evidence, etc. For instance, think of an area or venue that does not permit flash, if I want use flash I could commandeer the cameras of others around me (if we are all taking a photo of the same thing) to make them fire the flash while I took my photo. Then I get my photo (with flash), and they are the ones who get expelled from the venue for breaking the rules.

Also think of something like a sporting event that is covered by many competing photographers. I could interfere with my rivals, either by stealing their photos outright, or messing with their settings to try to sabotage their photos. If I had someone I wanted to get rid of on a more permanent basis, I could plant a photo or movie on his camera that made it look like he was involved in illegal or unseemly activities and then report him to the police, hoping they investigate farther.

Most of these things seem pretty far-fetched, but honestly, who knows. In data security I was taught to be paranoid, ie. NEVER use a wireless network unless it's necessary for the application, and to secure the appropriately and lock them out from areas where they can do actual damage.

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:06 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Security risks in wi-fi enabled cameras

steve126a wrote:
I can see this being a concern for someone in the Pentagon shooting photos, or perhaps the White House photographer capturing sensitive images, but in reality, is this a danger for the average photographer?

Whether you can see the danger or not, its still a danger.

Consider that if someone can gain complete control of these cameras they may well be able to permanently cripple them, leading to a new hobby of turning expensive cameras into bricks just for the fun of it.

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:09 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Security risks in wi-fi enabled cameras

Being brutal...nothing is secure, air is free, if you have the means, time, knowledge and enough of all three and the body count, ain't nothing that can't be hacked...why, the biggest security problem that will always be, humans design this stuff

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:16 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Security risks in wi-fi enabled cameras

Well nothing is secure but in many systems, the easiest point of illegal entry / unauthorized use is still the users ("human engineering, etc.") not the technical side of things.

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:18 PM
gasrocks
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Security risks in wi-fi enabled cameras

The laws in the USA and I assume in most other countries make a huge distinction 'tween wired and wireless. Once you put it out into the air, it is public property. Applies to cell phones, wireless phones in the home, wi-Fi, etc., etc. Be careful what you put out there. Example: paying your bills in an internet Cafe.

Mar 27, 2013 at 08:31 AM
Access
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Security risks in wi-fi enabled cameras

Legality, or at least the laws of man, is not relevant here; breaking encryption for nefarious purposes can often be illegal, but this rarely deters anyone who is motivated from actually doing it.

It's more the law of nature, physically is it simply much harder to listen in on a wired network than a wireless one. It can still possible, mind you, just far more difficult (one has to be much closer, one has to have equipment that is far more specialized and expensive, one has to have more technical expertise, and even though in a given situation it may not be possible.

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:55 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.