Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · BOOKED already. Who wants to shoot MY wedding in Queens, ...

Photorph

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · BOOKED already. Who wants to shoot MY wedding in Queens, NY? August 17th

Hello all. So I'm getting married. After shooting weddings for the last 4 years or so, it's hard to believe that now I'll be on the other side. I know FM has some talented photographers, so I just thought I'd see what I can find here. Looking for a wedding photographer in Queens area, NY. August 17th is the date. I would have loved to have Ryan Brenizer be my wedding photographer, but being a wedding photographer myself my budget is far less than his 6k starting price.

Just some info, this will be a traditional bengali wedding, so some experience with indian/bengali/pakistani weddings would definitely be a plus. Roughly 80-150 guests. E-session will be needed as well.

Essentially I'm seeing if I can find an awesome photographer for an awesome price

As a bonus, if I like your work/price and hire you...you may use a lens or two of mine if you would like given that you use Canon. I have a nice collection.

Let me know if interested, PM me your portfolio/price. Thanks!

Update: photographer already booked!! Thanks for all those FM users who contacted me, it was so hard to pick one person. I had 6 photographers I was deciding between whose work was equally amazing and it was very difficult, so I went with the one that had the most experience with Indian weddings.

Edited on Mar 30, 2013 at 07:10 PM · View previous versions

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:03 AM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · BOOKED already. Who wants to shoot MY wedding in Queens, NY? August 17th

By awesome price... can you put a number on that, or at least a range?

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:40 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · BOOKED already. Who wants to shoot MY wedding in Queens, NY? August 17th

ckhagen wrote:
By awesome price... can you put a number on that

He's got two 1Dx's and a 200 f/2! WOW. Sounds like his budget should be pretty high.

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:06 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · BOOKED already. Who wants to shoot MY wedding in Queens, NY? August 17th

I want to shoot your wedding, if you want to pay my rate.

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:35 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · BOOKED already. Who wants to shoot MY wedding in Queens, NY? August 17th

Photorph wrote:
but being a wedding photographer myself my budget is far less than his 6k starting price.

Don't take this the wrong way, dude... but, I'm always fascinated when other photographers think this way. It's almost as if you don't put value in what you do. So, you'd love to have Ryan shoot your wedding. Presumably because you love his work. So? Make it happen. Isn't that what we want our clients to do for us?

I know that if I could do it all over again (of course, I can't), I would totally splurge on my photographer. I made the mistake of hiring some freakin' wedding mill studio in NJ because I didn't know any better. I liked their prices and the work was ok. The work was "ok" and that was the problem.

Oh, and this isn't some ploy to try to get you to hire me. I don't think we'd be a good fit, anyway.

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:42 AM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · BOOKED already. Who wants to shoot MY wedding in Queens, NY? August 17th

10 hours, 2 photographers, disc of hi-res images - $5k

Mar 26, 2013 at 05:40 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · BOOKED already. Who wants to shoot MY wedding in Queens, NY? August 17th

Bragging about having all the newest and most expensive gear may not be the best way to get a deal.

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:02 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · BOOKED already. Who wants to shoot MY wedding in Queens, NY? August 17th

I am always up for travel to NY.

You'd be looking at $5k for full-coverage with 2 photographers + my assistant.

http://kurtiskronk.com

Mar 26, 2013 at 08:24 AM
Photorph

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · BOOKED already. Who wants to shoot MY wedding in Queens, NY? August 17th

Hi all, thanks for the responses so far! I'd like to clarify a few more things.

Price range I'm looking for is 2000-3000. It's a small event, and will be at Elite Place in woodside, NY. It would be ~6-8 hours or so total. While I'd love to "splurge" on a photographer, I have other more important expenses. Since I do value photography, I'd still like some good work done. That's why I even started this post, because I know there are talented people who might not be super popular... But nonetheless they are great with decent prices. If I was looking to spend 5k id be able to find plenty of photographers myself.

As far as offering my gear for use for the photographer, I didnt put that there to "brag"... and having good tools as a wedding photographer doesn't mean my budget is high. Just because a chef uses the best knives to make his job easier doesn't mean he will always go to the most expensive restaurant . I put that out there because I once shot a photographer's wedding and got to use his 85 L, and I thought it was just a nice gesture that he offered to let me use any of his gear. So I did the same.

I received a lot of PMs so far, most are either over 4k... Or under $1200 and inexperienced. While the work is absolutely amazing, unfortunately I just can't spend that much. Also no newbies please. So far just one person contacted me whose work is solid and their asking price is 3k.

If you have any questions feel free to ask :-).

Thanks all!

Edited on Mar 28, 2013 at 07:44 PM · View previous versions

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · BOOKED already. Who wants to shoot MY wedding in Queens, NY? August 17th

With all due respect, a better example would be a chef that uses the most expensive knives who wants to go out to eat. And I think we would all assume that the same chef would value food and be willing to spend for it...

Either way, you're entitled to your own budget. I think the reason you're having trouble finding someone is simply because 2-3k is unsustainable for an experienced person trying to make a decent living... Especially in New York. Ryan doesn't charge 6k because he's greedy (dude shoots 70 weddings a year, he could charge much more). He charges it because he lives in Manhattan and needs to retire someday. I certainly hope you find someone great, but my experience is that you'd have to spend a bit more to do so.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · BOOKED already. Who wants to shoot MY wedding in Queens, NY? August 17th

Photorph wrote:
While I'd love to "splurge" on a photographer, I have other more important expenses.

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · BOOKED already. Who wants to shoot MY wedding in Queens, NY? August 17th

sigh

Mar 26, 2013 at 01:08 PM
Sodonn
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · BOOKED already. Who wants to shoot MY wedding in Queens, NY? August 17th

This thread is awesome!

Mar 26, 2013 at 01:22 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · BOOKED already. Who wants to shoot MY wedding in Queens, NY? August 17th

Photorph wrote:
Hello all. So I'm getting married. After shooting weddings for the last 4 years or so, it's hard to believe that now I'll be on the other side. I know FM has some talented photographers, so I just thought I'd see what I can find here. Looking for a wedding photographer in Queens area, NY. August 17th is the date. I would have loved to have Ryan Brenizer be my wedding photographer, but being a wedding photographer myself my budget is far less than his 6k starting price.

Just some info, this will be a traditional bengali wedding, so some experience
...Show more

So you have some awesome gear but yet want to have a craigslist bride budget? You make the comment that you are a wedding photographer so your budget is low. Ummm WTF does being a wedding photographer have to do with having a low budget? If you have the kind of gear you do then your budget should be higher. Or are you one of those people that drives an infinity but lives in the ghetto and doesnt pay your rent?

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:04 PM
Photorph

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · BOOKED already. Who wants to shoot MY wedding in Queens, NY? August 17th

Hey excellent points! I'm from MI and my fiancÚ is from NY. I keep forgetting about the high costs there.

But I still think 2-3000 for a short and simple 6 hr event at one location is very reasonable, wouldn't you agree?! If a photographer isn't booked already for this year.. Not many people plan this late. Mine was a last minute deal. Agree?

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:05 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · BOOKED already. Who wants to shoot MY wedding in Queens, NY? August 17th

Photorph wrote:
Hey excellent points! I'm from MI and my fiancÚ is from NY. I keep forgetting about the high costs there.

But I still think 2-3000 for a short and simple 6 hr event at one location is very reasonable, wouldn't you agree?! If a photographer isn't booked already for this year.. Not many people plan this late. Mine was a last minute deal. Agree?

Whether I spend 6 hours or 10 hours shooting your wedding, I'm allocating a whole day to your event. A whole day where I could book someone else that wants to pay my full rate. A whole day where I could take my family on a day trip. A whole day where I can sit on the couch and veg out. A whole day where I can do something else that benefits me, my business, or my family.

Your 6 hour event is easily 8 hours or more including travel/traffic time and time to prep gear.

I booked an April 2013 job last month and they got my second highest package. So, I respectfully disagree.

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:28 PM
DONIV
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · BOOKED already. Who wants to shoot MY wedding in Queens, NY? August 17th

Photorph wrote:
But I still think 2-3000 for a short and simple 6 hr event at one location is very reasonable, wouldn't you agree?!

your asking if 2k for a 6 hour wedding in NEW YORK during prime time wedding season on a Saturday is reasonable...from a quality photographer?

the answer is no.

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:48 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · BOOKED already. Who wants to shoot MY wedding in Queens, NY? August 17th

Tony Hoffer wrote:
With all due respect, a better example would be a chef that uses the most expensive knives who wants to go out to eat. And I think we would all assume that the same chef would value food and be willing to spend for it...

Alot of chef (and every sane person) value great food yes. But does not have to be expensive. Lots of great foods of the world are often found in nondescript joints at very affordable prices. Great food experiences does not equate to high spending. See eating experiences of Bourdain, Oliver, Ramsay etc...

The is not a popular statement in the crowd of wedding service providers....OP, spend what you feel you and your fiancee is comfortable and value most. Wedding is one day. Marriage is (should be) a life time. Do not start off with a big debt.

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:41 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · BOOKED already. Who wants to shoot MY wedding in Queens, NY? August 17th

If I had it to do all over again I'd spend the majority of my budget on photography, even if that meant I had to get married in a park and grill burgers. People spend money on what they value at the time, and unfortuantely photography wasn't a high value for me in 2008.

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:56 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · BOOKED already. Who wants to shoot MY wedding in Queens, NY? August 17th

Out of curiosity, what do you expect 6hrs to cover anyways? Not a lot I presume?

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:12 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password