Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · New Margulis book and free extensions

sjordan93436
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Margulis book and free extensions

http://www.moderncolorworkflow.com/ This is the website with an explanation and links to photoshop extension for Mac and PC. There is a video demonstrating his workflow. In summary, the workflow is to correct color, enhance contrast, boost color, and then sharpen. The panel does all this.

Dan Margulis wrote Professional Photoshop and Photoshcop LAB color and taught classes. He retired and then unretired to write this book.

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:57 AM
mshi
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Margulis book and free extensions

Many are misled to believe that they can get better and quicker results using those plugins, such as Nik's. Long live the lost trade.

Mar 26, 2013 at 01:09 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Margulis book and free extensions

I've got both his PP and LAB books in my library ... any ideas how this new one compares, either on information or style.

+1 @ mshi

Dan's original books along with Channel Chops provides a good baseline, but it does require people to actually think about what they are doing ... no preset, canned magic here. Wondering if the new book is classic Dan style, or something a little more oriented to the masses yearning for a simplified "do this, do that" approach?

No book of recipes, it is a long conversation with the leading authority on image enhancement. It will engage you, invite repeated reading, and challenge your way of thinking.

Paperback: 480 pages

I guess that answers my question.
I'm guessing the videos & actions will be the "new" stuff, as I can't really see color correction theory having changed too much since his original books as light, color and PS really haven't changed.

I downloaded the panel ... looks like classic Dan, in a somewhat contemporary way. If you're new to Dan, his own comment about think & re-read to grasp is classic to his style. Just going through some of the panel info thrust me back into the CMYK, LAB, grc elements that I've gotten away from a bit ... particularly grc.

Sounds like it might be a contemporary consolidation of his other works, so if you don't already have a compilation of Dan in your library ... this might just be "The (consolidated) Best of Dan" as a single book reference.

Mar 26, 2013 at 01:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjordan93436
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Margulis book and free extensions

Full disclosure. I do not have the book yet. My suggestion is to go to the website and watch the 9 minute video. If it is all too familiar or uninteresting, move on. Since the LAB book, Dan has added some techniques and tools. PPW came first and then No Bad Originals. I feel there is a significant evolution since his last book.

Mar 26, 2013 at 05:24 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Margulis book and free extensions

It's certainly on my list to get to. The L*a*b book was the single best imaging book I've ever read - and by read, I mean at least eight times. It's all going to have to wait until my current projects are behind me.

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:08 AM
mshi
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Margulis book and free extensions

Margulis also did some great titles for Kelby Training, particularly the two-part series titled There Are No Bad Originals. Kelby offers 30-day free trial if you didn't know that.

http://kelbytraining.com/author/danmargulis/

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:58 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password