Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Might as well label me "screw me" !

lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Might as well label me "screw me" !

Well, a few months ago, I bought my 500/4IS locally and turned out it has mold. I decided to keep that lens and use it until it dies. It still produces sharp results but I just don't know how long.

Now, I just bought a used 100-400L in "mint condition" and the focus won't work right. It will attempt to focus, but the focus confirm light blinks...Sometimes it confirms, I'd say about 50% of the time. When it does, the lens seems plenty sharp. The lens almost locks onto the target but goes up and down up and down on the focus scale, almost like I was in servo mode (I am not).

I've cleaned the contacts, and the results are the same. I sent the lens to Canon and they said the USM works just fine. I've tried the lens on 3 cameras with the same results. I would assume the USM unit is defective, but Canon says no.

Anyone have a focus problem like this before?

Thanks,

Charles

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:44 PM
wcj0
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Might as well label me "screw me" !

When i shoot with my 100-400 I try to pick a point where i know i want to focus on prior to picking out the actual subject i.e. bird. Once there in good light it will achieve focus lock. However if there are more "contrasty" obsticales in the way, it may want to "hunt" and focus on what "it feels" it should focus on. I make it a point to only use the center focus point with this lens to avoid trouble. Once locked on a subject as long as i "track" it properly i never have an issue and i usually only shoot it with a canon 1.4 tele on it for a 560mm reach ( i shoot FF ).

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:55 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Might as well label me "screw me" !

That's normal for any lens I find. If there are branches or whatever in the way, of course it'll hunt around.

I tried taking a picture of a can of soup, on a tripod, and it would not confirm.

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:58 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Might as well label me "screw me" !

Stupid question but I'll ask anyway, is IS on and are you waiting for IS to gen up; half press and wait 1 second, before pulling the trigger...

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:59 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Might as well label me "screw me" !

lowa2 wrote:
I tried taking a picture of a can of soup, on a tripod, and it would not confirm.

Did you turn IS off for that test? The 100-400 IS is a very early version.

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:00 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Might as well label me "screw me" !

StillFingerz wrote:
Stupid question but I'll ask anyway, is IS on and are you waiting for IS to gen up; half press and wait 1 second, before pulling the trigger...

It takes 5-8 seconds to lock on.

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:06 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Might as well label me "screw me" !

Monito wrote:
Did you turn IS off for that test? The 100-400 IS is a very early version.

It does it on a tripod, or off a tripod IS/no IS

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:07 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Might as well label me "screw me" !

StillFingerz wrote:

lowa2 wrote:
It takes 5-8 seconds to lock on.

That doesn't answer StillFingerz' question.

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:29 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Might as well label me "screw me" !

Monito wrote:
That doesn't answer StillFingerz' question.

No, but it implies it. 5-8 seconds waiting for AF should be more than adequate to let the IS settle.

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:32 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Might as well label me "screw me" !

Geez Charles, that sucks. I gotta say that I had a similar experience with my 100-400L on the weekend before last. It was hanging off my back on my 1DX while my wife and I were out for a walk. I tried to capture an eagle that flew conveniently nearby overhead but the stupid thing would not lock on, at all. Then I tried a few shots of static things on the beach where we were walking - again, no AF lock. When I got home, I tried it on a different camera, where it worked OK, and then it worked OK on the 1DX too. I bought my 100-400L new in Jan 2012, and it's been fine ever since, until that time at the beach. It's worked OK on a few occasions since then, too.

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:34 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Might as well label me "screw me" !

jcolwell wrote:
Geez Charles, that sucks. I gotta say that I had a similar experience with my 100-400L on the weekend before last. It was hanging off my back on my 1DX while my wife and I were out for a walk. I tried to capture an eagle that flew conveniently nearby overhead but the stupid thing would not lock on, at all. Then I tried a few shots of static things on the beach where we were walking - again, no AF lock. When I got home, I tried it on a different camera, where it worked OK, and then it
...Show more

Looks like we need to get together to compare the 500 and 100-400! Sounds like the problem I am having with the zoom Jim. Let me know if it happens again, and if you manage to fix it, how you did it!

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:35 PM
ComicDom1
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Might as well label me "screw me" !

lowa2 wrote:
Well, a few months ago, I bought my 500/4IS locally and turned out it has mold. I decided to keep that lens and use it until it dies. It still produces sharp results but I just don't know how long.

Now, I just bought a used 100-400L in "mint condition" and the focus won't work right. It will attempt to focus, but the focus confirm light blinks...Sometimes it confirms, I'd say about 50% of the time. When it does, the lens seems plenty sharp. The lens almost locks onto the target but goes up and down up and down on the
...Show more

If you have had this problem on 3 different cameras with the same results, then why not send one or two of those cameras into Canon with the lens so they can experience it themselves. In addition, it would help if you could list the three camera bodies you tested it on. Canon service makes mistakes too.

Jason

Edited on Mar 25, 2013 at 07:58 PM · View previous versions

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:41 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Might as well label me "screw me" !

ComicDom1 wrote:
If you have had this problem on 3 different cameras with the same results, then why not send one or two of those cameras into Canon with the lens so they can experience it themselves.

Jason

I would, but my 9 other lenses don't do this! My technical side says that 1 lens has the same problem on 3 cameras, the odds are that the cameras are OK.

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:43 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Might as well label me "screw me" !

lowa2 wrote:
... Let me know if it happens again, and if you manage to fix it, how you did it!

You bet. I sort of figured it was probably something stupid that I had done to my 1DX setup. I'm still trying to figure out how to best set it up for different situations. I think I even took out its battery and cards (but not backup battery) before tyring it again with the 100-400L. I'll let you know if it comes up again.

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:48 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Might as well label me "screw me" !

Thanks Jim! Oh, and I can walk again Maybe come spring we can meet up.

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:50 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Might as well label me "screw me" !

lowa2 wrote:
Thanks Jim! Oh, and I can walk again Maybe come spring we can meet up.

Yes. Let's do that.

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:51 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Might as well label me "screw me" !

lowa2 wrote:
No, but it implies it. 5-8 seconds waiting for AF should be more than adequate to let the IS settle.

Agreed, 5-8 seconds is a big ouch, my 300 f4L IS isn't even close to being that slow and it's IS is old, something sounds fishy with your 100-400, if Canon states things are okay maybe you need to get the lens to 3rd party shop, or escalate this through the Canon ranks...make a fuss...sorry for your bad luck with your two latest lens purchases, hope future ones are more worthy of your funds/efforts.

Jerry

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:54 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Might as well label me "screw me" !

Thanks Jerry,

I had thought of going to a local shop (with my 500 as well) but did not think about escalating to a manager about the zoom.

I know the email of one of the managers, so I will get typing right now!

Charles

StillFingerz wrote:
Agreed, 5-8 seconds is a big ouch, my 300 f4L IS isn't even close to being that slow and it's IS is old, something sounds fishy with your 100-400, if Canon states things are okay maybe you need to get the lens to 3rd party shop, or escalate this through the Canon ranks...make a fuss...sorry for your bad luck with your two latest lens purchases, hope future ones are more worthy of your funds/efforts.

Jerry

Mar 25, 2013 at 08:02 PM
ComicDom1
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Might as well label me "screw me" !

I certainly understand your gut feeling of your technical side. However, the purpose is to solve the problem so you can enjoy your lens and creating images with it.

My technical side says if I have a way of reproducing or demonstrating a problem clearly, then why not reproduce it or demonstrate it?

I am certainly not attempting to second guess you here, but if I could clearly show the problem to Canon Service by sending in a couple of bodies with the lens that I knew would show the issue, I would not hesitate.

Jason

Mar 25, 2013 at 08:06 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Might as well label me "screw me" !

ComicDom1 wrote:
I certainly understand your gut feeling of your technical side. However, the purpose is to solve the problem so you can enjoy your lens and creating images with it.

My technical side says if I have a way of reproducing or demonstrating a problem clearly, then why not reproduce it or demonstrate it?

I am certainly not attempting to second guess you here, but if I could clearly show the problem to Canon Service by sending in a couple of bodies with the lens that I knew would show the issue, I would not hesitate.

Jason

Jason,

I am in touch with a CPS manager now, I will see what they want to do!

Thanks for the second opinion. I just don't think my 3 bodies would be busted

Mar 25, 2013 at 08:10 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.