Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens anyone using it??

allstarimaging
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens anyone using it??

I have read quite a few posts and seen a number of images from the Fuji 14 2.8. Just curious if anyone on this board is using it. I am very tempted to buy this lens for my XE-1. Right now I have just the 35 1.4 and I would like to have an all prime kit of the 14, 35, and the 56 when it gets released. If you have this lens and care to comment on your experience with it or post some images that would be great. Thank you

Jack

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens anyone using it??

I've taken some test shots with one. It's my next lens. Everything I've seen from it is pretty awesome. There are a few members with one...I'm sure they'll be along shortly.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens anyone using it??

Same as Jman
but it's not cheap... Fuji has also announced a 10-24/f4 so I might wait a little longer before I make up my mind

a few interesting XF lenses coming this year
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/xf_lens/roadmap/img/index/pic_02.jpg

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM
allstarimaging
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens anyone using it??

I like shooting with primes, I like shooting wide, and I like shooting wide open, so with that in mind the Fuji roadmap looks very promising. The 14, 35 and 56 would take care of my needs. The only thing I might do is swap the 35 for the 23. Hope the 23 and 56 are in the same league as the 35.

Jack

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens anyone using it??

Judging by the mockup, the 10-24 is going to be huge, though. SLR UWA size. Not what I want from my mirrorless system. The 14 is still reasonable, though.

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens anyone using it??

Jordan dont judge by the mock up, look at the 14
looks like they randomly copied existing designs for roadmap display purposes

but yeah you're right it could be biggish, not that the 14 is incredibly small. My thinking is that this will probably be my tripod lens so max aperture and size are largely irrelevant and in those rare instances I want to handhold it the high iso can make up for the 1 stop loss compared to the 14. So basically for me it all comes down to whether it's sharp/corrected or not, because it's nice to be able to go a bit wider sometimes.

But this is not my thread so lets see some 14mm pictures pls

Mar 26, 2013 at 01:20 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens anyone using it??

Spyro P. wrote:

Same as Jman
but it's not cheap... Fuji has also announced a 10-24/f4 so I might wait a little longer before I make up my mind

a few interesting XF lenses coming this year
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/xf_lens/roadmap/img/index/pic_02.jpg

That's a nice, well thought out roadmap. Sony should take notes.

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:45 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens anyone using it??

I own the Fuji 14mm (together with the 35).

Haven't shot a lot with it yet, but I can already say it's a nice lens.
Positives:
- Small and light enough for the X-E1.
- Sharp from corner to corner stopped down.
- Good flare control.
- Almost no distortion (this is great for such a wide lens).
- AF works well enough.
- Being able to pull the focus ring back for manual focus is great. This also shows a distance scale on the lens.

Negatives:
- I'm seeing more CA than I'm used to stopped down (I normally always use the Zeiss 21mm distagon ZE). Could be a problem in the Lightroom RAW conversion though.
- Aperture ring could have been stiffer.
- AF is a bit noisy.

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:53 AM
allstarimaging
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens anyone using it??

Hi Jochenb,
Thanks for the comments and info. I'm going on a short vacation pretty soon and I think I'll rent a copy of the 14mm 2.8 for a week befroe I drop the $900 US on it.
Jack

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM
apsphoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens anyone using it??

The 14mm is great lens, sharp to the corners, handles well, it is a bargain considering how much other lenses from other manufacturers cost for a similar optical quality.

Alan

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens anyone using it??

I LOVE my XF 35/1.4!
It is soo light weight, and has great bokeh.
I also have the 18-55, I like it, it isn't heavy either.
Both are in my small bag with my X-E1, along with one manual lens du jour.
*8^)
I also am interested in the XF14, and the new yet to be released zooms.
I should have bought into this earlier.
I am now shooting more, as this is much easier to carry about, and liking it very much.
Having fun again, sugoi!

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:28 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens anyone using it??

I tested one at the camera store and the few images I shot looked wicked sharp and clear. Too bad I didn't feel like dropping the $900 + tax on that sucker (and the fact that I bought the CV 15mm for this focal length already).

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:56 PM
Rob_O
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens anyone using it??

I have it, along with the 18-55 and 35. It's a great piece of glass, with surprisingly little (to no) distortion. AF speed is between the 18-55 (fastest of the bunch) and the 35. Otherwise, I agree with Jochenb's comments.

I've not had a chance to shoot anything meaningful yet (with the X-E1 in general, let alone the 14 specifically). I received my Hoya 9-stop Variable ND today, so weather permitting I'm going to head out over the next couple days in pursuit of some worthwhile samples.

Until then, here are a few snaps I've posted in other thread(s).

14 f/2.8 @ f/3.6 (inadvertently moved from f/8 due to "loose" aperture ring!), handheld while walking, Auto ISO (200), 1/600 sec, in-camera jpg, SEP2 BW conversion

14 f/2.8 @ f/3.6 (see above), handheld, Auto ISO (200), 1/550 sec, in-camera jpg, SEP2 BW conversion, no distortion correction needed

14 f/2.8 @ f/6.4, handheld, Auto ISO (200), 1/640 sec, in-camera jpg (processed)

The shadow detail in the following is impressive (particularly viewed full size)

14 f/2.8 @ f/11, handheld, Auto ISO (200), 1/200 sec, in-camera jpg (processed)

Black soldier in a black coat sitting on a dark horse in the shadow of his post, and there's plenty of detail ... even in the jpg!

14 f/2.8 @ f/4, handheld, Auto ISO (200), 1/800 sec, in-camera jpg (processed), SEP2 BW conversion, no distortion correction needed

100% crop of above

Flat, flat, flat light. Blech. Still, it was a beautiful scene with the rider and horse crossing the pasture.

Fuji 14 f/2.8 @ 4.0 (wish I'd gone to f/8 or 11) | ISO 200 (auto) | 1/150 sec (auto) | RAW w/processing in PS CS6

Look past this guy's poor grooming. He was lying in the grass, minding his own business, when I approached him for a portrait. Those leaves / grass blades were an unfortunate side effect of him coming over to greet me.

Fuji 14 f/2.8 @ 2.8 | ISO 200 (auto) | 1/550 sec (auto) | jpg stfc

And here's a 100% crop of the swan's head, unsharpened and literally from the camera. Focus was on the head. Despite the fact he was moving, and this is outside the center of the frame, it still shows great sharpness/detail (accounting for shallow DOF). The 14 f/2.8 is a nice lens.

Mar 26, 2013 at 05:17 PM
Rob_O
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens anyone using it??

Jman13 wrote:
Judging by the mockup, the 10-24 is going to be huge, though. SLR UWA size. Not what I want from my mirrorless system. The 14 is still reasonable, though.

Here's a photo from the Focus on Imaging show here in the UK recently showing the 10-24 (middle) relative to the 23 (left) and 56 (right). Photo credit to Wex Photographic.

Mar 26, 2013 at 05:23 PM
Qwerty64
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens anyone using it??

I tried it in the store, nice lens, just did not make a compelling enough case vs my 18-55 at 18mm. I think I'll hold out to see what the 10-24mm, Zeiss 12mm and Samyang 10mm look like and probably pick one of those.

Mar 26, 2013 at 05:31 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens anyone using it??

Qwerty64 wrote:
I tried it in the store, nice lens, just did not make a compelling enough case vs my 18-55 at 18mm. I think I'll hold out to see what the 10-24mm, Zeiss 12mm and Samyang 10mm look like and probably pick one of those.

There should be a fair amount of difference between the equivalent to a 21mm lens and a 27mm lens. I will have to get my 14mm Fujifilm lens out and shoot with it. I have played around with it. The Zeiss 12 mm lens and an equivalent to an 18mm lens is quite wide. I will have to at least look at it at Photo Plus later this year. I remember when shooting with the original 19mm Leica lens in on film based Leicas back in the mid 80s that I had some real difficulty in controlling the angle of view and keeping lines parallel and the camera parallel. Otherwise... I found the 21mm f4 Super Angulon lens much easier to control than the 19mm.

Rich

Edited on Mar 26, 2013 at 05:48 PM · View previous versions

Mar 26, 2013 at 05:42 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens anyone using it??

Rob_O wrote:
Here's a photo from the Focus on Imaging show here in the UK recently showing the 10-24 (middle) relative to the 23 (left) and 56 (right). Photo credit to Wex Photographic.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/IMG_0092.jpg

Exactly. That's huge. It's got a 72mm filter thread, vs 58mm on the 14mm f/2.8, and looks to be roughly the same size as my old Tokina 12-24/4. That's a big lens for a mirrorless kit. For an SLR kit, yeah, that's normal sized...but I went mirrorless precisely because of the size issue. I don't mind carrying a little larger for good telephoto optics, as usually these are still smaller than their SLR counterparts, but on the wide end, I don't want to start carrying 72mm lenses again.

The Fuji lenses are already generally bigger than similar Micro 4/3 lenses, but it's not a big difference, and despite being made of metal, they're very light, so the whole kit weighs roughly the same. But start adding some big lenses to it, and the whole 'super small and light' thing starts to go out the window. Even though it too is pretty big, I may get the 55-200 and the 14mm, and that'll work for a pretty darn complete kit. I could only see getting the 10-14 if I sell off all my m4/3 gear, and therefore the 7-14mm f/4.

I might wait to see how the Zeiss 12 performs as well as its size and price. However, I have to say that in a prime ultra-wide, I'm inclined to have a slightly longer lens than wider, where if I have a zoom, I want the widest I can get, since in situations where that width isn't warranted, I can always zoom in a bit...with a prime, you're stuck shooting at 12mm...and here the more moderate UWA of the 14mm may appeal to me a little more.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love the 10-14 for its range, but I just don't want lenses that big again.

Mar 26, 2013 at 05:43 PM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens anyone using it??

From that shot the 10-24 does look large. The 14mm, while larger than most mirrorless lenses, is still sufficiently small to me that I don't mind it. It's just a little larger than the 35mm. Personally, I don't mind going with primes for wide angle work and I don't usually need to go as wide as 10mm.

The 55-200's size bothers me, but I probably will buy it anyway. That range is just too useful.

Mar 26, 2013 at 08:48 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens anyone using it??

Didn't have any real photo opportunities lately, but here are some random shots from my 14mm:

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:47 PM
allstarimaging
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens anyone using it??

jochenb wrote:
Didn't have any real photo opportunities lately, but here are some random shots from my 14mm:

Thanks for posting these samples up. Curious if you have made any prints from the lens and if so at what size and how is the detail in the images when printed. Thank you
Jack

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:42 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password