Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · New Lens foot or feet

wcj0
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · New Lens foot or feet

Ok new to the Supertellies, whats the purpose of changing the lens foot to another brand. What advantage does it give verses the OEM foot or feet. Thanks, Jeff

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:46 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · New Lens foot or feet

Arca Swiss compatibility, often with a lower profile.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:47 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #3 · New Lens foot or feet

Arca Swiss compatibility as in being able to use both screw holes in the lens plate?

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · New Lens foot or feet

wcj0 wrote:
Arca Swiss compatibility as in being able to use both screw holes in the lens plate?

No, the foot is an Arca-Swiss plate.

You need to shoot with longisland.km and me

http://www.jobu-design.com/catalog/item/7860822/9477695.htm

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:18 PM
3iron
• •
p.1 #5 · New Lens foot or feet

I changed for 2 reasons; The longer foot allowed more adjustability for balance on my gimbal and the longer length gives me better purchase to hand hold and carry my lens with camera.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:24 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · New Lens foot or feet

wcj0 wrote:
Ok new to the Supertellies, whats the purpose of changing the lens foot to another brand. What advantage does it give verses the OEM foot or feet. Thanks, Jeff

Jeff, replacement feet are.....

(1) lighter than the stock foot + dovetailed plate screwed onto it. (You gotta have a plate or a replacement foot if you want to mount the lens on a quick release clamp/pod.)
(2) better at having the lens + camera properly balanced on a tripod gimbal.
(3) some are lower profile than the stock feet, which has lens handling benefits, whether you are shooting handheld or with the setup mounted on a pod. In addition, lower profile feet allow easier lens packing into bags.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wcj0
• •
p.1 #7 · New Lens foot or feet

Once again i appreciate all the imput from everyone here. Feel like a newbe here but in fact have been shooting birds and wildlife forever. The reason for the new 600 purchase was i felt i could get more "natural" reach with it than all the combos that i have been shooting with. Besides My WIFE of 45+ years LET ME!. Guess she figures at 65 might as well say yes and if i die soon enough she can still sell the lens as "almost brand new"!. Just kidding, she's great and shoots also. Just that between photography and Cars, have to deligate the money wisley or else the next reftigerator box will have my address on it!

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:37 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · New Lens foot or feet

You should hang on at least long enough to get a 800L, and enjoy it for many years.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:41 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #9 · New Lens foot or feet

actually I chose the 600 over the great shape 800"s that i saw advertised since i think it suits my style of shooting better and i could have saved about 2-3 K. Hopefull once the issues are taken care of i'll be able to enjoy it.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:46 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · New Lens foot or feet

Psychic1 wrote:
http://www.jobu-design.com/catalog/item/7860822/9477695.htm

http://www.jobu-design.com/i/lensplates/LF-C604M2_Web1.jpg

Jeff, BTW, that Jobu replacement foot really looks good......I have it on my 400 f/2.8 IS lens, and I am happy with it. Used to have a couple of other manufacturers' models, but they didn't work as well for me.

Mar 26, 2013 at 01:11 AM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #11 · New Lens foot or feet

Thanks for the info Peter, i appreciate it. For now intil the initial shock of the investment wears off, I'm bolting or screwing the Arca Swiss adapter plate to the original foot. The weight doesn't bother me to much since i don't plan on hiking with it right now. I was shooting with it yesterday while testing it out hand holding it and while i don't think i would make it a practice, I can see where it's definately possible for short periods. Anyway thanks to everyone for the education, appreciate it! Jeff
For anyone interested: I just took the 3\8-1\4 reducer bushing out of an old manfortto mount and installed it in the front hole of the 600 and now the Arca Swiss adapter plate is being held on with two screws instead of one to prevent the foot from twisting on the plate. Hope this helps someone although i'm sure this isn't something no one else thought of . If you don't have the reducer, you can order a Gitzo one or RRS one on line.

Mar 26, 2013 at 08:44 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password