Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Yes, Manly Beacon.. First Light!

Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Yes, Manly Beacon.. First Light!

Sunrise lights up the Manly Beacon of Zabriskie Point in Death Valley National Park, California.

It is hard to imagine that the badlands at Zabriskie Point are an old lake bottom that has risen into what we see as a result of volcanic activity in Death Valley.

I present the first lighted Manly Beacon in Black & White and Color.

Thanks for looking.

Kee

PS: I have edited B&W version, especially, many times, to bring out the highlight details in the foreground as well as backgrounds. I truly appreciated many of you for all the suggestions. Rather than leaving the originally posted photo, I replaced it with the edited one as editing was progressed. Thanks a million!

NIKON D800    82mm    f/9.0    1/160s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Colored version - checked WB and retuned. Compare with #2

Edited on Mar 26, 2013 at 09:34 AM · View previous versions

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:31 PM
AndrewThomas
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Yes, Manly Beacon.. First Light!

Kee, you got some great light here...on my monitor the highlights look just a little bit bright. If you could pull them back a bit I feel it would be even stronger. And maybe open up those heavy shadows in the background just a bit....just my opinion, of course!
cheers Andrew

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Yes, Manly Beacon.. First Light!

AndrewThomas wrote:
Kee, you got some great light here...on my monitor the highlights look just a little bit bright. If you could pull them back a bit I feel it would be even stronger. And maybe open up those heavy shadows in the background just a bit....just my opinion, of course!
cheers Andrew

Andrew, I pulled the highlights a little bit down and lifted the shadows in the background somewhat... Let me know this helps.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:06 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Yes, Manly Beacon.. First Light!

Hey Kee,

I really like the light in this, that is really sweet. I prefer the B&W version. If you pulled back on the highlights in #1, I would suggest to do it a bit more. My first thought with #1 was that the highlights were too dark. And then I would use a layer mask to just pull the shadow details out more in the background. In the foreground it's perfect, so do lighten anything in the front.

Jim

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #5 · Yes, Manly Beacon.. First Light!

Kee,
Great shot!
The BW conversion added a very nice contrast and helped isolate the foreground. You lost precious highlight detail in the process though. It would be nice if you could recover it. - Fred

Mar 26, 2013 at 01:16 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Yes, Manly Beacon.. First Light!

Beautiful image. Love the contrast.

Mar 26, 2013 at 01:40 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Yes, Manly Beacon.. First Light!

B+W. Love the drama!

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:03 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Yes, Manly Beacon.. First Light!

JimFox wrote:
Hey Kee,

I really like the light in this, that is really sweet. I prefer the B&W version. If you pulled back on the highlights in #1, I would suggest to do it a bit more. My first thought with #1 was that the highlights were too dark. And then I would use a layer mask to just pull the shadow details out more in the background. In the foreground it's perfect, so do lighten anything in the front.

Jim

Hummm.. I retuned the Black & White version but I am not sure if this improved any.

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:18 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Yes, Manly Beacon.. First Light!

Fred Miranda wrote:
Kee,
Great shot!
The BW conversion added a very nice contrast and helped isolate the foreground. You lost precious highlight detail in the process though. It would be nice if you could recover it. - Fred

I keep trying.. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:19 AM
Callisto
• • •
p.1 #10 · Yes, Manly Beacon.. First Light!

Kee,
The B&W is my favorite. Nice work! - RC

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #11 · Yes, Manly Beacon.. First Light!

Great capture Kee! The B&W for me too. A little more adjustment as others have suggested and it will really shine.

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:19 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Yes, Manly Beacon.. First Light!

Hey Kee,

I think you have it looking pretty good now. To me the B&W is really singing a sweet tune.

Jim

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:30 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Yes, Manly Beacon.. First Light!

Callisto wrote:
Kee,
The B&W is my favorite. Nice work! - RC

Thanks for your comments. I appreciated.

Mar 26, 2013 at 09:36 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Yes, Manly Beacon.. First Light!

Tuan Le wrote:
Great capture Kee! The B&W for me too. A little more adjustment as others have suggested and it will really shine.

Thanks Tuan. You guys are terrific!

Mar 26, 2013 at 09:36 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Yes, Manly Beacon.. First Light!

JimFox wrote:
Hey Kee,

I think you have it looking pretty good now. To me the B&W is really singing a sweet tune.

Jim

Hi, Jim,

I am also happy with the way BW now. I edited the color version wrt white balance as well. This is added into the posting. Thanks bunch!

Mar 26, 2013 at 09:39 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Yes, Manly Beacon.. First Light!

I like the B&W version a lot, but on my monitor I see an outline from a layer mask on it and the third one.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:42 AM
gordon l
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Yes, Manly Beacon.. First Light!

I like B&W. Like you, I've had a tough time knowing how to manage the white balance with badlands that have so many unusual colors wiht the warm sunrise light. I like what you've done, all three. Which is the best? I cannot say.

Gordon

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Yes, Manly Beacon.. First Light!

Travis Rhoads wrote:
I like the B&W version a lot, but on my monitor I see an outline from a layer mask on it and the third one.

Are you saying that the images are not showing on your computer properly?

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:50 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Yes, Manly Beacon.. First Light!

rhee wrote:
Are you saying that the images are not showing on your computer properly?

I see a brush outline around the pointed formation, it looks like a brush stroke from a layer mask, it follows the outline of the rock formation. I have had this problem when blending or masking when my monitor was calibrated too dark.

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:54 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Yes, Manly Beacon.. First Light!

Travis Rhoads wrote:
I see a brush outline around the pointed formation, it looks like a brush stroke from a layer mask, it follows the outline of the rock formation. I have had this problem when blending or masking when my monitor was calibrated too dark.

Thanks for the information. I actually didn't use Photoshop for the processing. I used a very minimal processing using iPhoto manipulation. Perhaps those outlines happened to be where the sun rays shine naturally. I will still take a look at the file more objectively.

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:21 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password