Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Which pocketwizard should I get?

jaehoppa
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Which pocketwizard should I get?

Hi guys I'm planning to buy a wireless trigger for my flash so I can use my 580ex II off my camera.
I'm looking at some pocketwizard products and was wondering what the differences are between their products.
I'm looking at the plus III and the mini and flex.
Do the mini and flex go together? meaning do I need both of them to make things work? or can they work alone?
It seems like the plus III is a single device.
What are the differences and which one would you recommend?
thanks.

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:45 PM
photo1a
• •
p.1 #2 · Which pocketwizard should I get?

I don't think that there is an easy answer.

You might want to check out the PockeWizard website. Be sure to see the videos and tutorials.

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:50 AM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Which pocketwizard should I get?

Well...if your going to use PW to fire your flash, you will need another PW device to receive the signal that fires the flash...the canon flash doesn't read the PW signal.

I started with PW Plus II's...then moved up to the Mini and flex setup...and now have added the PW III's too.

Each has some advantages and you will need to determine where you want to start and cover potential future needs.

The new Plus X is the simplest version..cheaper too!! You would need two...one for camera as a sender...one for the flash to receive the signal to fire. You will be in full manual mode, and will then have to either use a flash meter to determine proper exposure...or shoot/test...change settings...shoot/test until you get it right.

If you get the mini and flex setup, it will allow for ETTL settings....and I've had mixed results on these. It seems to work great most of the time...but there are times during "dark" events that its harder to get the balance I'm looking for.

You also can get two flex's to work together...the mini is so you have a small footprint on the body.

Note:
by using the flex...consider the size/design when using
by using the Plus III's or X, would need to use cable and then attach unit somehow near flash
the mini will fire ANY PW unit...but designed for ETTL with the flex units
adding the EC-9...allows for output level changes on body (saving steps)

I use my Plus III's for most of my use...as they are solid units, easy to setup and small footprint

Hope that helps some....as mentioned earlier...the videos and such on PW site can help show some of the uses and highlights of each.

Mar 27, 2013 at 05:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

StanOPhoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · Which pocketwizard should I get?

First thing you have to do is decide if you want to go with Manual control or E-TTL for your 580EX II off camera. The PlusX/Plus III transceivers are manual only. On the flip side, the Mini/Flex transceivers offer E-TTL triggering.

This blog article may help guide you in the right direction for Pocket Wizard transceivers http://blog.soskiphoto.com/2013/03/pocket-wizard-plusx-vs-plus-iii-flash.html

Mar 27, 2013 at 08:44 AM
Claude
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Which pocketwizard should I get?

Good information here above!
I have got good results with one mini, AC3 Zone Controller and several flex. As you need at least two units, it can be interesting to look at the new Canon flash 600EX-RT and the ST-E3 with integrated radio transmitter/receiver. Very expensive, but multiple PWs are expensive too and you have to deal with multiple units.
If you are on a budget I recommend going manual.
Claude

Mar 28, 2013 at 07:00 PM
tacos3
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Which pocketwizard should I get?

FYI...If you use PWII's with a 580 I in manual mode with a hotshot trigger, you will need to set CF14 on the flash to a 1 or the flash will power down and need to be reset, read cycle power to get it to work again. Not sure if this problem goes away with a 580II or if you sync directly with the 580II from a PW.

Apr 18, 2013 at 04:46 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password