Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Strobed free skiing

dsilly
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Strobed free skiing

Something a little different. Shot with my trusty 7D, 8mm fisheye and my Elinchrom Ranger (AKA: the sun killer). Please provide C&C if you've got any! I'll post plenty more later this evening. I shot 750+ images yesterday and came home too exhausted to edit.

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:37 PM
ian408
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Strobed free skiing

I like where it's going. Probably crop a little tighter-mostly from the bottom. If you have one with the poles in frame, that would be good (as would more room at the top).

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:41 AM
kidbond30

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Strobed free skiing

Thats a nice picture!! What settings did you use on the flash?

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:35 PM
dsilly
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Strobed free skiing

kidbond30 wrote:
Thats a nice picture!! What settings did you use on the flash?

Hey, thanks! it was at full power on channel A (1100 W/s). I generally find it easier to just holler at my assistant to, "Move closer!" or "Take a step back!" than, "Turn it down a half stop" and have him be like, "Huh....?". The lens I used was a Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 fisheye with manual focus and manual aperture so I'm not sure what the aperture was but usually f/8 to f/11. I'm guessing the shutter was 1/800 - 1/1000.

Here's another strobed ski (well, snowboard) shot. I like the composition of this one much better than the last. Gimme your feedback!

Mar 27, 2013 at 03:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kidbond30

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Strobed free skiing

dsilly wrote:
Hey, thanks! it was at full power on channel A (1100 W/s). I generally find it easier to just holler at my assistant to, "Move closer!" or "Take a step back!" than, "Turn it down a half stop" and have him be like, "Huh....?". The lens I used was a Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 fisheye with manual focus and manual aperture so I'm not sure what the aperture was but usually f/8 to f/11. I'm guessing the shutter was 1/800 - 1/1000.

Here's another strobed ski (well, snowboard) shot. I like the composition of this one much better than the last.
...Show more

Thats awesome! I love the lighting with the sun in the background and the fisheye really captures the athlete in a unique way. I have a canon 7d and a cheap flash. Is there any way I can achieve a similar shot like yours with the on camera flash?

Mar 27, 2013 at 06:42 PM
dsilly
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Strobed free skiing

kidbond30 wrote:
Thats awesome! I love the lighting with the sun in the background and the fisheye really captures the athlete in a unique way. I have a canon 7d and a cheap flash. Is there any way I can achieve a similar shot like yours with the on camera flash?

I need more details about the flash. If you're talking about the built in flash on your 7D or a speedlight, there is no way you can over power the sun. Just to give you an idea, I used 1100 watts with a reflector that concentrates the spread of light to 22 degrees. A canon 580 EX II is only 65 watts. Hope that helps.

Mar 27, 2013 at 08:53 PM
kidbond30

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Strobed free skiing

Its a Promaster 7500DX flash. Its definately not a good one but I just want to know what I can do with it. I also have this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZIMEMW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I want to be able to light up the skier in some way maybe with the reflector?

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:01 AM
dsilly
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Strobed free skiing

Eek. Ya, I dunno about that. My guess would be that it's going to be very difficult and still probably won't throw nearly enough light. I know this isn't what you wanna hear, but I don't think there's a very cheap alternative to be honest. I paid nearly $2600 for my ranger setup.

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:45 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password