Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Hockey (womens) - CWHL - Clarkson Cup

Rick Denham
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hockey (womens) - CWHL - Clarkson Cup

Covered the Clarkson Cup last week for the HHOF.
I hate strobing small rinks but oh well.
Here's a few of my fave's from the tourney
Feel free to c+c

l
l
l
V

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:28 PM
andypep
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hockey (womens) - CWHL - Clarkson Cup

Very Nice. I always enjoy your stuff. You killed it again!!!

I saw that the HHOF was on the list for the CCHA games in Detroit, and I thought by chance you might be there.

Mar 25, 2013 at 03:45 PM
AussieTimmeh

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hockey (womens) - CWHL - Clarkson Cup

All I can say is that these images are amazing, well done. I've seen stacks of ice hockey images over the years and I don't think I've ever felt closer to a game on another continent.

I am not an ice hockey photographer, but may I ask what lens you were shooting with for the on-ice action? You'd need something super quick and with a fair zoom I would imagine!

Thanks for sharing.

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:04 PM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hockey (womens) - CWHL - Clarkson Cup

Nice shots Rick.

Care to share your strobe setup? I see them in the back of a couple of the shots. Did you bounce? Light stands or rafter mounted?

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:05 PM
Hockey_Nut
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hockey (womens) - CWHL - Clarkson Cup

Hey Rick,

Stellar series … love numbers 3 (it just pops off the screen), 11, 12, 19, 21 & 22. Nicely done … and creative. I really like the team photo. The players must be thrilled with these.

Like Trevor, I'd be interested in your strobe setup.

Brent

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hockey (womens) - CWHL - Clarkson Cup

Thanks for the comments guys, it's always a fun tourney to shoot. Women's hockey is so off the radar for many people, but in all honesty I would take it over men's any day. They play for the love of the spots, and are so grateful for what we give them. Case in point, the only free wifi we had was in the hotel lobby, every morning I edited I had at least a dozen girls hanging around looking at the pics with me. At one point I think there were almost 20 of them, and from two different teams hanging out together looking at the pics with me. I mean come on when have you ever seen that with any professional men's league.

andypep wrote:
I saw that the HHOF was on the list for the CCHA games in Detroit, and I thought by chance you might be there.

Not me, maybe next year though, I am dying to shoot some NCAA.

AussieTimmeh wrote:
I am not an ice hockey photographer, but may I ask what lens you were shooting with for the on-ice action?.

The wide angles were shot with a 15mm fisheye, the action shots were a combination of 70-200/2.8 and 300/2.8

Trevorma wrote:
Nice shots Rick.

Care to share your strobe setup? I see them in the back of a couple of the shots. Did you bounce? Light stands or rafter mounted?

If you take a look at img15 you can see the lights on the one side, they were set up just above the face off circle, aimed at the bottom of the boards on the far side and rotated about 5deg towards the net.
The strobes on the other side were at the blue line with the same set up. All strobes were hung from the rafters, I was hoping to bounce them off the ceiling but it was too flat and couldn't get the right angle.

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:45 AM
mikepmcs
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hockey (womens) - CWHL - Clarkson Cup

FABULOUS!!!

Mar 26, 2013 at 08:17 AM
--K--
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hockey (womens) - CWHL - Clarkson Cup

Wow great shots

I did not even know that leage was still "alive," I remember hearing about it a few years ago but that was it. My god there's even a local team in Montréal

Mar 27, 2013 at 03:46 PM
Adrian Fischer

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hockey (womens) - CWHL - Clarkson Cup

Great shots Rick, The rink I shoot at here in Australia is dark. Shooting aroud iso 4000 and shutter of 6-800. Id love to have a go at strobing. What sort of lights are you using there?

Apr 02, 2013 at 09:26 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.