Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Spring Soccer - GU15

MichGoBlue
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spring Soccer - GU15

Recently traded up to a D7100 and 300 2.8 MK II from a D7000 and older Sigma 120-300. Still getting used to having a fixed focal length, but really liking how fast the AF is with this combo compared to my old one. Anyway thought I would post some pics for C & C for the first time here.

Edited on Mar 25, 2013 at 12:32 PM · View previous versions

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:38 AM
MichGoBlue
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spring Soccer - GU15

Two more

Edited on Mar 25, 2013 at 12:33 PM · View previous versions

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spring Soccer - GU15

Sunny day in Seattle, did you buy a lottery ticket? Nice tight action, etc. Might want to make them a bit smaller so all viewers can see the complete image?

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:27 PM
MichGoBlue
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spring Soccer - GU15

Thanks resized - sorry still new at this posting stuff!

It was cloudy yesterday with the sun peaking through which made me have to adjust exposure depending on where the ball was on the field. Today is perfectly clear and sunny though - absolutely gorgeous. Quite a contrast to the snow we got last week!

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:35 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Spring Soccer - GU15

Good start for a first post there. The 300 2.8 is a good lens and takes the 1.4TC quite well. As you get more comfortable with it the sharpness will be apparent. From strictly a sports perspective a couple of comments:
1 - Pretty good, action is not really peak
2 - Watch your horizons, action somewhat cluttered
3 - try going vertical and crop tight on the player with the ball
4 - half ball missing, mostly likely was captured too late, chopped off body parts
5 - what I call no-man's land, cropping vertical with only the players on the right would be stronger but you probably end up with a hand in the frame (maybe PP it out is possible)
6 - late capture, action / ball too far away, try again BTW: background not so good here....
7 - like this one, suggest loosing the negative space on both sides by cropping vertical. IMHO doing so makes it a stronger photo.

Standard stuff to keep in mind: you want balls, faces, action with a clean background (when possible). You might want to try positioning yourself on the back line half way between the corner flag and the goal. Then wait for the action to come to you.

The more you shoot the better it gets. Keep posting!

Regards,
Matt

Edited on Mar 25, 2013 at 12:46 PM · View previous versions

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Spring Soccer - GU15

That first shot is dynamite (though if they came together, I'd like to see that one as well)! Nice work. 3 and 6 definitely could benefit from tighter crops (I'd get rid of everything but the girl with the ball in #3).

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:40 PM
MichGoBlue
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Spring Soccer - GU15

Thanks for the comments folks - I really appreciate it and have learned a lot already by regularly lurking here.

As far as positioning, I am currently only shooting with 1 camera so have been about 30 yards up the touchline from the opposing goal so I can get faces come as well as some angle on shots on the goal. When I had my 120-300 I would use a 1.4 and get down on the end line because I could always zoom out to catch shots and saves and such that were close by. Do you just forgo these with a prime, or do you pretty much have to bring a 70-200 along with you as well?

Also I have been pretty much shooting jpegs and not doing any PP with them (just took up photography a little over a year ago). Should I be shoot raw instead and doing some PP? These are of course just for fun (my daughter is GK on the red team), but I probably will have time this summer to learn LR or some other package for PP.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Spring Soccer - GU15

Personally, I've used a two body setup for some time, 400mm 2.8 and the other with a 70-200 2.8.

As far as jpg vs raw, no question you can do either and if you can consistently get it right in the camera then raw's are less important. Raw's do allow for better/easier corrections in PP.

Mar 26, 2013 at 09:32 AM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Spring Soccer - GU15

Are you standing when shooting some of these? At least some would benefit from a lower angle, especially since your subjects are short. In some cases, it might help clean up your backgrounds, too, though I'm guessing you just need to be more careful to evaluate the backgrounds when setting up. Regarding shooting Raw, processing Raw files is a skill that will come in handy when shooting in changing light, but getting it correct in camera is always first priority.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Spring Soccer - GU15

I'll point out that you can get it right in camera shooting RAW just as you can shooting jpg. Also, you can PP jpg files just as you can PP RAW files. You're likely to have more to work with using RAW files, and therein (theoretically) lies the difference. Whatever you're shooting, the goal always should be to get it 'right,' or as close to right as possible at the time you release the shutter. (This is in perfect agreement with what Matt and Deborah have said. I'm just trying to avoid you drawing the conclusion that RAW is for sloppy shooters and jpg is for those who know what they're doing.)

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:50 AM
MichGoBlue
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Spring Soccer - GU15

Thanks again everyone for the input and feedback - it is very much appreciated.

I usually stand, mostly because I can't kneel for very long due to some old injuries - and sitting makes it slower for me to follow action it seems. I always try my best to get it right in the camera, but I often forget to change exposure due to changing cloud conditions here in the NW. I was thinking it might be easier to correct that if I was shooting raw, but can try it with my jpegs as well.

I'll have to think about a second camera - it just makes a lot to juggle when I am still working on the basics~

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:15 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Spring Soccer - GU15

Way back, I started with one body and it helps. No timing distraction in deciding when to use it.
Yeah, the knees get ya sooner or later. I found something similar to this and it works pretty good. I can stay low the whole game and still able to follow the action. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11415042

Matt

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:30 PM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Spring Soccer - GU15

Where's the goalkeeper!!!!

Just kidding. My son is also the goalkeeper and I have found it very difficult to get a great shot of him. If you find a location on the field that works let me know. (I'm actually shooting with your old set up). I've found shooting end to end is difficult because of the 100 yards you are covering. Then to get a great goalkeeper shot you need the ball, their face, and action - the action normally means other players get in the way.

I was successful in shooting an awesome save during a high school match. I was on the away fan sideline and caught the goalkeeper in a mid air dive eyes on the ball completely outstretched. Anyway, please keep me in mind, I'd love to exchange notes with you on how to get better goalkeeper shots.

Cheers,
John

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:44 PM
MichGoBlue
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Spring Soccer - GU15

John,

I do get shots of her - mostly taking advantage of warm-ups and such for anything decent though. Unfortunately I often look away from the viewfinder when someone takes a shot on her in goal so miss out on a lot of saves that way - working on getting better at that though.

For shooting from the opposite goal line with the 120-300 I mostly used the Sigma 1.4 TC. It slows the AF just a hair but IQ was still pretty good. The main problem as you mention though was intervening players. I usually would be halfway between the goal and the corner flag so I could get an angle and be more likely to catch the action. Also what I found is that if I think a shot is incoming, I have to pre-focus on her and just wait if I want to get a decent shot of a save. So just like anything else its a lot about anticipating where the ball is going and being ready there rather than just tracking the ball the whole time - at least in my limited experience with soccer.

Matt - I do have a folding stool I use sometimes - but I find I still am slow panning around as my knees don't easily swing around my monopod. Still my back has been bugging me enough that I have had to sit through a couple games of late.

Regards,

(also) John

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:00 PM
Steven King
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Spring Soccer - GU15

John,
First off... GO BLUE!

I'm going with 1, 3, 7 as my faves, 1 is good as is, #3 needs the vertical crop of just the girl, like everyone else said, and #7 might be just a tad early/late, but the tension you sense of expecting what happened works for me, and #4 would still be better with a tighter vertical crop and to chop off the body parts at "logical" places like knees or waist, losing any part of an arm would still be bad.
You could save #6 by cropping to isolate only the girl, then it would be a "sportrait" that wouldn't be bad due to the body positioning.
I also use the similar set up that @shlotz said, 2 bodies, one with 70-200 the other with the long glass. That makes for better overall coverage, that and wearing knee pads to get you lower and at a more dramatic angle. Plus the knee pads are comfortable and keep you dry too. If you want to shoot the keeper you can try to stay just outside the 18, that way you can get close ups of her taking her position, and shoot the defenders too, that is as long as you're not on the side where the AR is running, they often get in the way in that spot. Just my $0.02

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:24 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Spring Soccer - GU15

Blue-John , my daughter played goalie for many years and in-game captures were always tough to come by. Agree with you, some of the best goalie shots I've had are warm-ups. Usually I situate myself just just north of the 18 yard line. Nice thing (since I have field access) is I can walk onto the field a few steps which helps in isolating the goalie with ball & net background.

Matt

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:51 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.