Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Crazy megapixels "for weddings"....????

Jamesbjenkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Crazy megapixels "for weddings"....????

I bought a D800 and sold it less than a month later.

For what I do, that thing is terrible. Everything is too slow for weddings. That and if your focus isn't purrrrrfect the shot looks awful.

Anyone who says "D800 is great for weddings" either hasn't shot a D800 or doesn't shoot weddings.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:11 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Crazy megapixels "for weddings"....????

NathanHamler wrote:
i said "this one is 12, but i have one that is 16 and one that is 6.." They're like "wow, 12?? That's it?"

Most of my formals this past year were shot with an 8 megapixel camera.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:14 PM
LivLif
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Crazy megapixels "for weddings"....????

Sooner or later you will have no choice. Weather you shoot Canon or Nikon you will have to upgrade to a new camera. It could be because of a camera failure or something else. I'm pretty sure Canon and Nikon's new cameras will be high MP bodies. You can't shoot with a D3, D3S, D700, 5DC, 5DII forever. Soon it will be hard to get batteries, repairs, accessories, etc for them. They aren't gonna last forever. I'm sure many photographers thought the same thing when camera resolution got bumped up to 12mp. Same thing with your computer. It's only gonna last so long before you will have to upgrade or replace it.

That being said... I owned a D800 for part of the 2012 wedding season. It was an great camera but I ended up selling it. It does eat up memory cards and HDD space, but like Jared said memory and HDDs are cheap. I just couldn't deal with the crappy ergonomics. My hand would be cramped half way through the reception. If it had the ergonomics of the D4 or 5DMKIII I would of definitely kept it.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:30 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Crazy megapixels "for weddings"....????

NathanHamler wrote:
i've had a couple people ask me how many mp my cameras are

Were these prospective clients? Or guests? Or?

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:43 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Crazy megapixels "for weddings"....????

oh sorry, these were guests...like during formals, or at the reception....never had clients ask....

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Crazy megapixels "for weddings"....????

Shot a wedding past weekend with my new D800e and I LOVE IT!
That camera is a blessing for weddings and everything else actually (except for sports maybe). It's an amazing camera to work with in the field and when you come home and start processing them; WOW! I haven't seen anything like that in my life: the dynamic range, colours, detail,... just amazing. It's awesome that you can recover a 6-stop underexposed image and still get the full quality (wouldn't even have tried with my 5DII).
Post processing isn't taking longer with my 3-year old pc, and 40mb isn't to hard to store is it? That camera is not only about the megapixels, it's about the whole package. For some the 36 mp is a disadvantage, for others it's an advantage. But for both it will be an amazing tool that CAN actually save your butt.

Edited on Mar 26, 2013 at 10:57 AM · View previous versions

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM
CraigB1960

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Crazy megapixels "for weddings"....????

Jamesbjenkins wrote:
I bought a D800 and sold it less than a month later.

For what I do, that thing is terrible. Everything is too slow for weddings. That and if your focus isn't purrrrrfect the shot looks awful.

Anyone who says "D800 is great for weddings" either hasn't shot a D800 or doesn't shoot weddings.

Sorry to say, I use 2 of them for WEDDINGS and love using them. No issue with focus problems at all. It is a great camera. Too bad it did not work for you, but don't knock it or make blanket statements for those who do use it. And how in the world is it to slow for weddings?

I go back to the old days that 2 MB camera was a big deal and cost an arm and leg. Slow and small buffers, crummy flash control, bad dynamic range, horrible high ISO, and you better have the crop right, cause there was no going back. I find the D800 a joy to shoot with.

Edited on Mar 26, 2013 at 01:37 PM · View previous versions

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:56 AM
CraigB1960

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Crazy megapixels "for weddings"....????

playerofwar wrote:
It's awesome that you can recover a 6-stop underexposed image and still get the full quality (wouldn't even have tried with my 5DII).

It is amazing. I had one shot a couple of weeks ago where my strobes did not fire during the formals. The PW's had not synced in yet. The image was completely black, no detail.....terribly underexposed. I pulled the exposure up in Lightroom 4 and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the properly exposed and the one that was way underexposed.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:04 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Crazy megapixels "for weddings"....????

playerofwar wrote:

Shot a wedding past weekend with my new D800e and I LOVE IT!

How did you find the focus in the darker areas, like at the reception?

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:13 PM
Kegan Shattuck
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Crazy megapixels "for weddings"....????

I shoot weddings with a D800 and I can't stop. I try picking up my D700 for a few shots, but then I throw it back in my case and go back to the D800.

I really wish it sucked as a wedding camera. If it did, I'd have more space on my main hard drive and might shave an hour and a half off my post process time.

But it doesn't suck, so I'll keep working my 2011 quad-core MBP overtime and keep buying hard drives...oh and raise my rates to cover the extra hour or so.

The focus thing can be a bit of an issue, but instead of slowing down, I just take more shots and take up more hard drive space. I'm not the most logical person in the world.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Cassario
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Crazy megapixels "for weddings"....????

Kegan Shattuck wrote:
I shoot weddings with a D800 and I can't stop. I try picking up my D700 for a few shots, but then I throw it back in my case and go back to the D800.

I really wish it sucked as a wedding camera. If it did, I'd have more space on my main hard drive and might shave an hour and a half off my post process time.

But it doesn't suck, so I'll keep working my 2011 quad-core MBP overtime and keep buying hard drives...oh and raise my rates to cover the extra hour or so.

The
...Show more

I had the same experience, and I actually sold my D700 and bought a 2nd D800, only the E version. Sure I have to spend a little more time editing, and I had to spend a little extra money for memory, but honestly my workflow hasnt slowed down any, and the images I get with my D800s are like no other.

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Ghost
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Crazy megapixels "for weddings"....????

Insanely good AF, beautiful skin tones, fast, great ISO, deep buffer depth, great ergonomics and perfect file size for reportage/portrait photographers. Team Hoffer uses it. Inku has 2 going 3? Chuck has it. Spencer likes it and he doesn't like anything. Their pictures look pretty darn good. End the pain. Get a Canon 5d3.

Mar 27, 2013 at 01:18 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Crazy megapixels "for weddings"....????

I've never had a wedding client complain about lack of resolution... not when I shot with an 8MP 1DII, and certainly not today with a 22MP 5DIII.

IMO, the days of not having enough pixels are behind us for weddings.

Mar 27, 2013 at 08:40 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Crazy megapixels "for weddings"....????

D. Diggler wrote:
I've seen people say they used to shoot whole weddings at 3 megapixels in the mid-2000s and the images turned out great.

2.7 megapixels:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/nikond1h/d1h_front.jpg

Not to mention how any DSLR made in the last several years would exceed this in ISO performance as well. Yet I never hear about clients complaining about images being too small or too noisy...which makes me wonder if clients are really the reason we keep upgrading and upgrading, or if it's simply us falling prey to marketing and a desire to keep up with (what we think) other photographers are using.

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:35 PM
aonavy
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Crazy megapixels "for weddings"....????

I shoot with a Lumix GH3 16mp (m43) and able to print large. I just printed a 24"x36" poster of my dog and it came out great. Low light and AF are wonderful on this little sucker.

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:48 PM
morby
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Crazy megapixels "for weddings"....????

D. Diggler wrote:
I'm still surprised clients don't ask, "How many megapixels?" Before getting into this line of work I would've thought it would come up.

A couple months back I saw where someone was speculating that some photog would get a D800 and use the megapixels as a selling point. You know: "And by the way, our cameras have 36 MEGAPIXELS".

I've had people ask how many megapixels my 5D Mark III is, and I always forget. Makes me look stupid! I usually say, "I don't remember. It's 20+, I think..."

Jun 17, 2013 at 01:09 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Crazy megapixels "for weddings"....????

D. Diggler wrote:
How did you find the focus in the darker areas, like at the reception?

Didn't see your post until now.

I can use all focuspoints with getting perfect focus at 1/100, f/2.8, iso 1600 conditions.
Above, the non-crosstypes are not good enough anymore.
Centre point focuses reliable with 95% accuracy at 1/50, 2.8, iso 6400.
With a 1.4 lens, it only gets better. Last night I did a landscape with the D800e, 1sec, f/1.4 and iso 6400 and IT FOCUSSED! I couldn't even see what I focussed on, it was so dark!

The more I work with the D800E, the more I love it.
It's just a tool that does any job.

Edit:
If someone asks how many megapixels I tell them megapixels don't matter, it's the man behind them that counts. If they are still hungry for megapixels, I pull out my Lumia 920 and take a picture with it. Then I take the same picture with the D800E and ask them what counts... 9mp vs 36mp and yet both are so close that most choose the Lumia 920.

Jun 17, 2013 at 03:29 PM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Crazy megapixels "for weddings"....????

I have never viewed my gear purchases as "Will this purchase bring me more money", I rather view it as "Will this purchase my my life/job more enjoyable/easier".

I am however fishing for an 85LII which will indeed do some stuff that I as unable to quite pull off without it.

Jun 17, 2013 at 03:55 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Crazy megapixels "for weddings"....????

my clients never ask either. more than anything there's a guest or someone in the bridal party who's a photo enthusiasts that know just enough to know what different models are and ask me.

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:02 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Crazy megapixels "for weddings"....????

dhp_sf wrote:
there's a guest or someone in the bridal party who's a photo enthusiasts that know just enough to know what different models are and ask me

If you tape over the brand and model number on your gear it cuts down on the inquiries.

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:10 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.