Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · The Jazz Band

Chris Fawkes
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Jazz Band

I got a call last week. The photographer booked to shoot theses guys had to pull out last minute for personal reasons. I normally prefer time to prepare but we went into the city for a couple of hours and got these anyway.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Jazz Band

Some pretty fine interpretive captures here Chris.
Douglas

Mar 25, 2013 at 01:37 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Jazz Band

Yeah, interesting work. I presume the sax player is the leader of the band. It's perfectlyfine the way it is, but on No. 3, what really jumped out to me is that if the four looked off to our left (their right) and then the sax player would have been on our far right, looking off to his left (our right), opposite of the others.

My faves are 4a and b, the shots, and 7a. Great job!

Ron

Mar 25, 2013 at 02:58 PM
benee
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Jazz Band

4a and B are killer. The geometry in both shots feels like Jazz, if that makes sense.

I also like # 2 a lot, but a little more DOF would help. I guess the sax guy is the leader, but the others guys are ever-so-slightly too out of focus IMO.

Love your work.

Mar 25, 2013 at 05:08 PM
HKBStudios

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Jazz Band

Six is just killer... nice work!

Mar 25, 2013 at 08:27 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Jazz Band

Just what I would have done on #2 is get them all in focus. They are all in the band. Not just the person in the front. But Bokeh is fun .

Mar 25, 2013 at 08:59 PM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Jazz Band

Band photos really seem to fit your style. I was wondering the same thing as Ron with the sax player - if he's kinda the equivalent to the lead singer in a rock band? My favs are 6 and 11. I like 20 as well, but I wish the instruments weren't in their cases on that one. Would have been really cool if they could have actually setup and played there, surely that wasn't possible, though.

The one thing I was missing on these was it would have been nice to include some of the other guys' instruments if that would have been possible on some of them. I'm guessing we're missing the bass and maybe keyboard or another wind instrument? Of course if one guy plays piano, that might be a bit of a challenge ;-)

The only one I really didn't like was 16. He looks a little too alien/freaky-ish.

--David

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:25 AM

Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Jazz Band

Thank you guys for taking the time to look and for offering feedback.

As it turned out they only intended for the sax player to bring his saxophone so I had to push for the guitar and drum sticks.

I did grab a version of 2 with them all in focus but I love the shallow depth of field too.

The last shot we had to get quick as trams were coming along all the time so ran out grabbed the shot got out quick.

Good thoughts all.

Benee, big compliment coming from a peer. Thank you.

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:20 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Jazz Band

I'm not a big fan of B&W but excellent compositions

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM
closer2par

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Jazz Band

I'll agree with a few of the others - they are all very nice but the one that stuck out to me is #2 and the lack of DOF. They are all part of the band so should all be in focus. That's my only nitpick, otherwise, a great variety of settings for them to choose from.

Steve

Mar 28, 2013 at 03:42 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Jazz Band

I agree, would love to have seen a few more instruments (perhaps a single snare drum for the drummer etc), but you've done a really good job with what you had.

I like the shallow DOF in 2, I think it fits with the v-shaped pose

You could think about cloning out the street furniture at the bottom left of 4a. Pity the middle guy's foot is 'amputated'

Love the shadow in 6. The near-silhouette with drumsticks in 11 is also striking (pardon the pun)

Mar 28, 2013 at 04:37 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Jazz Band

Thank you again guys. Appreciate your time too look and share your thoughts.

Mar 31, 2013 at 01:22 PM
ELWOOD B
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Jazz Band

Nice work on these especially #6.

Mar 31, 2013 at 02:26 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password