Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · So this is embarassing...

cebseb
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · So this is embarassing...

First, a little background. Today was my very first bird photo outing. I am completely ignorant to genus, species, etc. I primarily shoot portraits and landscapes then I picked up my first semi-telephoto lens (a 300 2.8, which I coupled with the tc20) about 2 weeks ago and decided to try the wildlife thing out. I asked my wife for a little time to myself for some shooting. She gave me 1.5 hours

While stalking aimlessly through the trail, I ran into a very excited lady. She was snapping away with her cell phone at the reeds. I asked her what she was doing and I'm assuming she was very thorough in explaining it to me... in Japanese. After some confused looks from me, I guess she got flustered and resorted to googling an image of what she was looking at. After some squinting at the reeds, I finally spotted the object of her attention. Refer to the images below.

NIKON D4    300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    600mm    f/6.3    1/1250s    400 ISO    -0.7 EV  

NIKON D4    300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    600mm    f/6.3    1/1250s    400 ISO    -0.7 EV  

NIKON D4    300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    600mm    f/6.3    1/1600s    400 ISO    -0.7 EV  

NIKON D4    300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    600mm    f/6.3    1/1600s    400 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:02 AM
cebseb
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · So this is embarassing...

Not going to lie, it took me about an hour to find out what I photographed. anyways, now I know. So psyched! My first American Bittern.

And as always, critique and comments are welcome and encouraged. Anything to help me improve. Thanks!

NIKON D4    300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    600mm    f/6.3    1/400s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Mar 25, 2013 at 06:08 AM · View previous versions

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:04 AM
KINGOFKNGS
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · So this is embarassing...

You've got some very nice images of an American Bittern! These birds are often difficult to find as they blend in perfectly well with the reeds.

The sharpness is very nice with the 2XTC attached to your 300 2.8!

Congratulations on a nice find. I'm sure this bird was difficult to photograph at a nice angle because of all of the reeds. It's one of the most frustrating things for me--I've got a great bird pretty close, but it's hiding amongst reeds and there's never a clear shot. You take what you can get! I say this all to say that in general, the lower you can get, the better the photos turn out for birds on the beach/ground/water.

The last shot is my favorite--I feel that the eye angle is the best on this one.

Keep up the good work!

Ryan

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:07 AM
cebseb
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · So this is embarassing...

KINGOFKNGS wrote:
You've got some very nice images of an American Bittern! These birds are often difficult to find as they blend in perfectly well with the reeds.

The sharpness is very nice with the 2XTC attached to your 300 2.8!

Congratulations on a nice find. I'm sure this bird was difficult to photograph at a nice angle because of all of the reeds. It's one of the most frustrating things for me--I've got a great bird pretty close, but it's hiding amongst reeds and there's never a clear shot. You take what you can get! I say this all to say that in
...Show more

Thank you so much for the compliments and the tip!

Ah yes! I knew I should have went for a lower angle. I actually would have waded into the water, but the lady was already a bit peeved I think when I scared the other one away with my ungraceful plomping around. There were two, but I only caught the other one in flight which I found underwhelming.

The tc20III has been married to my 300 2.8 since I got it. I actually have yet to take a picture without the tc20III. I love it!

NIKON D4    300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    600mm    f/6.3    1/2500s    400 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:17 AM
caralan9
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · So this is embarassing...

careful - it's addictive

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:28 AM
cebseb
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · So this is embarassing...

caralan9 wrote:
careful - it's addictive

I am well aware... I'm already scanning the B&S board for a 600...

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:32 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · So this is embarassing...

A lovely set of bitterns Sebastian. A great find that was well photographed.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · So this is embarassing...

#3 and the close-up also for me. You must be lucky; these are great shots of a difficult bird. Yes, lower is always better. Don

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:56 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · So this is embarassing...

Very nicely done - especially for the first time Sebastian. It's 6 for me too ~ Ron

Mar 25, 2013 at 01:49 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · So this is embarassing...

Congratulations !!! Wonderful set . You got some magnificent shots with 3, 4 and the last being my favorites. Welcome to a very habit forming adventure. Love your story of the Japanese lady by the way

Birdie

Mar 25, 2013 at 03:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cebseb
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · So this is embarassing...

DonGut wrote:
#3 and the close-up also for me. You must be lucky; these are great shots of a difficult bird. Yes, lower is always better. Don

Thank you Don. My luck seems to have no bounds. You should see my wife :0)

Kcollett and Ron. I appreciate the encouraging words. I hope I continue to provide you guys with enjoyment for some time to come.

Mar 25, 2013 at 03:40 PM
cebseb
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · So this is embarassing...

birdied wrote:
Congratulations !!! Wonderful set . You got some magnificent shots with 3, 4 and the last being my favorites. Welcome to a very habit forming adventure. Love your story of the Japanese lady by the way

Birdie

Thanks again Birdie!

I'm sure the lady was quite exasperated with me. She was probably thinking "what in the world are you doing with that gear if you don't even know about this bird!?!?"

She probably cursed me out in front of my face. Ha!

Mar 25, 2013 at 03:43 PM
chickenrx
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · So this is embarassing...

#6 for me Sebation. Congratulations on finding the "elusive" one!
~ Ted

Mar 25, 2013 at 03:50 PM
cebseb
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · So this is embarassing...

chickenrx wrote:
#6 for me Sebation. Congratulations on finding the "elusive" one!
~ Ted

Had I known I was photographing the ninja of the Avian world, I would have spent more than 30 minutes photographing the guy.

Instead, I went over to the next pond to photograph some water fowl. Silly me.

-Sebastian

Mar 25, 2013 at 03:54 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · So this is embarassing...

Fantastic shots Sebastian. I bought the same combo 3 weeks ago - work and weather is really getting in the way of putting it through its paces. Thanks for sharing these
David

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:28 PM
acjd
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · So this is embarassing...

Be very careful ... Now it will start costing some serious money. Well done.

Mar 25, 2013 at 08:14 PM
Dean M.
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · So this is embarassing...

very nice images... Next time you go photographing birds, just take me with you because I can help you with that.....I speak Japanese......

Mar 25, 2013 at 09:23 PM
JimLittle
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · So this is embarassing...

Beautiful set...well done!!

Mar 25, 2013 at 09:30 PM
cebseb
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · So this is embarassing...

David Leask wrote:
Fantastic shots Sebastian. I bought the same combo 3 weeks ago - work and weather is really getting in the way of putting it through its paces. Thanks for sharing these
David

Paired up with my D4, it's quite a portable set up. It's even more portable than the 400 2.8 vr I rented a few weeks back and honestly, the difference picture quality is not as noticeable as the difference in pricing between the two lenses (the 300+tc20iii stopped down to the bare 400 2.8). I was running up and down trails with it and it didn't feel unwieldy at all.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:02 PM
cebseb
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · So this is embarassing...

Thanks you acjd and Jimlittle! The costs are really starting to skyrocket uncomfortably high. Good grief.

Dean, hopefully I get a chance to meet that lady again. I'll make sure to be be well-read and informed before ut happens though!

-Sebastian

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password