Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2013 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

uz2work
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

jcolwell wrote:
A rugby player being tackled gives many more facial expressions to select from at 12 fps than at 5 fps.

+1

And it is those subtle differences in facial expressions that can often make the difference between a "nice" picture and "great" picture.

What cameras with high frame rates and outstanding AF systems have done is that they have raised the bar with regard to what is considered to be an excellent photograph of action, whether it be sports action, wildlife action, or any other type of action. Twenty five years ago, a photograph that merely captured the action would have been thought of as being an excellent photograph. Today, it is the little nuances, such as facial expressions, position of the subject's head, how the light is hitting the subject's face, etc., that separate an "ordinary" photograph from one that is "special". Today, we can go to any sports or wildlife presentation board and find numerous photographs posted daily whose quality we think of as being quite ordinary but that, 25 years ago, we would have thought of as being quite special.

I also note that, even though the OP now says that he didn't mention anything about birds-in-flight (or aviation), in his original post, he did include wildlife on the list of the kinds of photography that he wants to do, and birds-in-flight is certainly a part of wildlife photography. It would appear from his most recent post that the OP, before he started the thread, already had a notion of what sort of replies were going to be "acceptable" to him and that he was predisposed to reject any responses that differed from his predisposition.

darryn patch wrote:
I've decided that I am going to grab a 5DIII, however looking through copious threads I read more of what situations I can't shoot than what I can shoot or more correctly what camera will do it better than a 5DIII

Can I shoot the following with a 5DIII

Surfing
surfscapes
football
soccer
golf
golf course landscapes
architecture as in holiday snaps etc.
sunsets
sunrises
wildlife

Thats about all I'll do,

Note that no one is saying that you cannot successfully shoot all types of photography at 6 fps, but there are undeniable advantages of a higher frame rate with many types of photography.

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:05 PM
outlawyer
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

Vampires.

Mar 29, 2013 at 03:11 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #3 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

outlawyer wrote:
Vampires.

You couldn't see them in the finder, but LiveView should show 'em. Don't forget your wooden monopod.

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:34 PM
panicatnabisco
• •
p.4 #4 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

I know one thing the 5D3 cant shoot.

36 megapickles

Apr 04, 2013 at 04:33 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.4 #5 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

panicatnabisco wrote:
I know one thing the 5D3 cant shoot.
36 megapickles

Photostitch

Apr 04, 2013 at 02:53 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Photostitch

+1

Apr 04, 2013 at 02:58 PM
Photon
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

You can't shoot the inside of an intact film canister inside a changing bag in a closed, unlit darkroom. For that you need a camera that records cosmic rays. Not sure which model is best, but it's not the 5D III.

Apr 04, 2013 at 04:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Andrew Welsh
• • • •
p.4 #8 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

Photon wrote:
You can't shoot the inside of an intact film canister inside a changing bag in a closed, unlit darkroom. For that you need a camera that records cosmic rays. Not sure which model is best, but it's not the 5D III.

5d3 will pick up cosmic rays. Done so regularly with any DSLR I've used for long exposure astrophotos.

Apr 05, 2013 at 04:39 PM
artd
• • •
p.4 #9 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

Andrew Welsh wrote:
5d3 will pick up cosmic rays. Done so regularly with any DSLR I've used for long exposure astrophotos.

Not really. Cosmic rays are subatomic particles. You need specialized particle detectors to pick them up...which aren't actually seeing the cosmic rays themselves, they're picking up the shower of particles that result when cosmic rays hit atoms in the atmosphere. For example, the Akeno Giant Air Shower Array in Japan is a bunch of detectors spread out over 40 square miles. A 24x36mm sensor in DSLR just ain't gonna cut it.

Apr 05, 2013 at 05:15 PM
Andrew Welsh
• • • •
p.4 #10 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

I don't have examples here, but the cosmic ray strikes (or the result of them) do show up as red / blue / green spots/streaks / lines in individual images. They interact with the sensor in a way that activates certain pixels... and it isn't dark noise or bias noise or stuck pixels, because they don't appear in other photos in those spots. Over the course of a night (5-7 hours of exposure time), I'll see a handful of them.

http://www.citizensky.org/forum/catching-cosmic-rays-dslr

Apr 05, 2013 at 08:22 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.4 #11 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

darryn patch wrote:
FPS is over rated and is a crutch for many who can't read the play and time the shots.

Next you will be telling us that you can see the same action a camera does at 12 fps, as well as capture a better image using single shot. There are cameras that can capture objects moving so fast that you can't even see them.

Want more than 12 fps? Get a camcorder.

Apr 05, 2013 at 08:39 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.4 #12 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

Want more than 12 fps? Get an EOS-C.

Apr 05, 2013 at 08:59 PM
artd
• • •
p.4 #13 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

Andrew Welsh wrote:
I don't have examples here, but the cosmic ray strikes (or the result of them) do show up as red / blue / green spots/streaks / lines in individual images. They interact with the sensor in a way that activates certain pixels... and it isn't dark noise or bias noise or stuck pixels, because they don't appear in other photos in those spots. Over the course of a night (5-7 hours of exposure time), I'll see a handful of them.

http://www.citizensky.org/forum/catching-cosmic-rays-dslr

Huh. That's pretty interesting. Thanks.

Apr 06, 2013 at 02:13 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password