FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

ggreene
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

Given the wide variety of subjects you want to shoot I would say the 5D3 is the perfect camera body for you. You may miss a few key frames in football/soccer because of the 6FPS limit but that doesn't sound like an overriding concern for you.

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:38 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

The 5D III is a relatively inexpensive general purpose camera. It's the jack of all trades and master of quiet.

EBH

Mar 26, 2013 at 09:33 PM
darryn patch
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

Ok so I have decided on a 5D, how does a 5DIII with a 24-105L lens bundle for $3450AUD sound?

Don't really want a 24-105, so I'd sell that for about 800ish, giving me a brand new MkIII for $2650ish

Mar 26, 2013 at 09:56 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

Good luck getting $800.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:17 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

RobertLynn wrote:
Good luck getting $800.

I got $750 for one that I've had since 2006.

Mar 27, 2013 at 01:16 AM
darryn patch
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

I'll probably get more than $800 for it

Mar 27, 2013 at 03:11 AM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

lucas lumiere wrote:
You should have used a 1dx. That airplane's propeller is blurry.

You're allowed to be blurry when your that old
Niall

Mar 27, 2013 at 03:16 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

stanj wrote:
I got $750 for one that I've had since 2006.

Wow, I recall them going for 700 and under not too long ago. I remember, I thought "I knew this shit would happen after I spent $795 on mine."

Still, I really enjoyed using it and I still have it. It an my 5d3 are my "point and shoot" combo.

Mar 27, 2013 at 03:30 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

Looks good to me Niall I think there are "some" (a tiny vocal minority) 1DX owners who have been OD'ing on the cool aid and seem to believe photography started the day they bought their new camera. I think unless a shooter needs the 12fps, a 5D3 will do the job. I shoot wildlife with either my 1D4 or 5D3, it just depends on how feel on the day.

Mar 27, 2013 at 06:26 AM
darryn patch
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

FPS is over rated and is a crutch for many who can't read the play and time the shots, Even when I had 1DIIn I never held the shutter down and hoped I got something good. Shooting trannys teaches you discipline, but many here wouldn't even know E6 film if you put a roll infront of them.

Mar 27, 2013 at 06:46 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

darryn patch wrote:
FPS is over rated and is a crutch for many who can't read the play and time the shots, Even when I had 1DIIn I never held the shutter down and hoped I got something good. Shooting trannys teaches you discipline, but many here wouldn't even know E6 film if you put a roll infront of them.

For some situations, high fps is certainly over-rated, but in general I don't agree. The AF system in the Canon EOS 1D-series bodies (and 5DIII as well, I assume) works better if you "hold down the shutter" for at least a few frames. Given sufficient data points from 'earlier' shots, the predictive AF system calculates where the subject will be when the shutter releases for 'later' shots, based on the apparent relative velocity calculated from the 'earlier' shots, and constant fps (i.e. you got to hold it down). If you take one or two shots and then pause, you don't get this incredible capability.

Also, for some subjects there's plenty of frame-to-frame variation even at 12 fps.

I shot trannies for many years in small, medium, and large formats. Even for sports, with small format Pentax cameras. I understand disciplined photography, yet I still appreciate 12 fps. How is this possible?

Mar 27, 2013 at 07:12 AM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

jcolwell wrote:
For some situations, high fps is certainly over-rated, but in general I don't agree.

Also, for some subjects there's plenty of frame-to-frame variation even at 12 fps.

+1
Even though much of the photography that I do is shooting action, it is rare for me to shoot a burst of longer than 3 or 4 shots, but shooting long bursts is not, for me, the most valuable aspect of a high frame rate. For me, the most valuable aspect of a high frame rate is that it gives me the ability to take a short burst of the action and to capture the subtle differences that can occur even within a small fraction of a second. Thus, even with trying to anticipate the action to get the "right" moment, the faster frame rate gives me the option to choose the "perfect" pose from other shots that may be very good but not quite perfect. Further, anyone who thinks that he/she is so skilled at anticipating action to the point that he/she can get the perfect moment and not miss it by 1/10 or 1/12 of a second is only fooling himself/herself.

Mar 27, 2013 at 08:00 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

Les, you are spot on. Couldn't agree more

Matt

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM
artd
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

I've never seen anyone post anything in this forum that says "You can't shoot xxxxx with a 5DIII."

While we are on this topic, let's be clear that you can shoot whatever you want with any camera.

Let me reiterate that for those who missed it.

You can shoot whatever you want with any camera.

Yes I am serious. Want to shoot photojournalism or sports or action? You don't "need" 12fps or 6fps or 3fps. You don't "need" advanced autofocus. You don't even "need" autofocus at all. (For those who don't believe this, go check out some of David Burnett's photography done with a Speed Graphic.)

Now, the thing that different cameras will do is make your job easier if you are trying to capture certain types of photos. That's all. Autofocus and lots of fps aren't needed, they just make a photographer's work easier and more convenient. (I would note here that David Burnett also shoots with a 5DIII ).

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:24 AM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

schlotz wrote:
Les, you are spot on. Couldn't agree more

Matt

As an example of what I described above, the shot below of 2 eagles engaged in aerial combat was from a 3 shot burst at 10 fps. Yes, I tried to anticipate the action that I wanted, but, with the other 2 frames in the burst, in one, a wing was covering the face of one of the birds, and, in the other, one of the birds had its head turned slightly away from the camera. Perhaps, there is someone out there who could have anticipated the precise moment out of a 2/10 of a second time span when the positions of the two birds were going to be as good as they were going to get, but I know that I can't do that. From the 3 shot burst and within that 2/10 of a second time span, I ended up with one shot that I really liked and 2 that went into the trash. Could I have gotten that shot at 5 or 6 fps? I'm sure that there would have been a chance, but, because lots can happen in a small fraction of a second, I like my chances a lot better at 10 fps.

http://www.wildlifeimagesbyles.net/db_B14D2606fteagles-3-15-105.jpg

Les

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

darryn patch wrote:
FPS is over rated and is a crutch for many who can't read the play and time the shots, .

Pretty strong statement and I don't agree with you. I shoot baseball and great shots are with the ball near the bat when hitting. You can't read the play nor time the shot as you are looking thru the camera and cant see when the pitcher releases the ball to time anything. The only thing you can anticipate is the pre-swing of the hitter and sometimes this happens and there is no swing=trashed photos. The bat contacting the ball happens so quickly that a high fps is needed. When I switched to 10fps body, my keep rate went up dramatically.

uz2work- love that photo!!

Mar 28, 2013 at 01:24 AM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

uz2work wrote:
As an example of what I described above, the shot below of 2 eagles engaged in aerial combat was from a 3 shot burst at 10 fps. Yes, I tried to anticipate the action that I wanted, but, with the other 2 frames in the burst, in one, a wing was covering the face of one of the birds, and, in the other, one of the birds had its head turned slightly away from the camera. Perhaps, there is someone out there who could have anticipated the precise moment out of a 2/10 of a second time span when the
...Show more

very cool shot! Only a Jedi can anticipate and react faster than a wild raptor in this kind of action... most folks can't even press the shutter button in time before this kind of action is over for good, let alone anticipate and time it

Mar 28, 2013 at 01:35 AM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

docsmiles17 wrote:
Pretty strong statement and I don't agree with you. I shoot baseball and great shots are with the ball near the bat when hitting. You can't read the play nor time the shot as you are looking thru the camera and cant see when the pitcher releases the ball to time anything. The only thing you can anticipate is the pre-swing of the hitter and sometimes this happens and there is no swing=trashed photos. The bat contacting the ball happens so quickly that a high fps is needed. When I switched to 10fps body, my keep rate went up dramatically.
...Show more

Likewise Try shooting eg the Red Arrows trying to get two jets crossing as below without shooting a burst
Niall

Mar 28, 2013 at 03:06 AM
darryn patch
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

Nah, I shot sport for 10 yrs and never needed 10FPS did I miss some shots probably, did that worry me nope, just made me pay more attention to what I was doing.

I understand 10FPS might mean the diff to a photog who is trying to put food on the table but for the average clicker, 10FPS isn't needed.

and I think my post read, "read the play" as in sport as in whats about to happen on the sporting field, I didn't see where I made any mention to birds in flight or planes at an airshow

but do correct me if I am wrong with what I wrote?

Mar 28, 2013 at 03:45 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

A rugby player being tackled gives many more facial expressions to select from at 12 fps than at 5 fps.

Mar 29, 2013 at 07:00 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.