New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

darryn patch
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

I've decided that I am going to grab a 5DIII, however looking through copious threads I read more of what situations I can't shoot than what I can shoot or more correctly what camera will do it better than a 5DIII

I was initially going to grab a 1DsIII but it appears the AF in the 5D is as good if not better than the DsIII. So that settled the decision for me I loved he AF on 1D series.

Can I shoot the following with a 5DIII

Surfing
surfscapes
football
soccer
golf
golf course landscapes
architecture as in holiday snaps etc.
sunsets
sunrises
wildlife

Thats about all I'll do, I don't need high ISO as I shoot in daylight most times accept on holidays I don't need video, the frame frame rate is adequate, MP is high enough to do large canvasses and image quality is as good if not better than the DsIII

So what can't I shoot?

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:35 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

If you don't need more than 6FPS, nothing.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

Is this a trick question...

Obviously you can shoot everything you want.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:50 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

Stoffer wrote:
Is this a trick question...

Obviously you can shoot everything you want.

+1, still iffy under the rain beside that i don't see anything that stops 5D3.

Mar 25, 2013 at 02:09 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

Of the things you listed, the first two are somewhat related to saltwater, which is something I'd be worried about at least a bit - but other than that, it should be just fine!

Mar 25, 2013 at 02:26 AM
darryn patch
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

nah salt water enviroments are no issues, especially when I chuck it in a water housing to shoot.

I was being semi sarcastic, Why?? well everytime a camera is talked about its about its deficiencies but those deficiencies account for probably less than 1% of the typical users requirements. I am hard pressed to see anything wrong with the 5D especially if it has AF inline with the 1D series bodies?

Mar 25, 2013 at 05:02 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

Yes to all of them, with a caveat that if you were looking to do *serious* sports (ie. professionally and getting paid regularly) I'd recommend a 1dx or 1d4 instead.

The only thing which the 5d3 would struggle with is anything where you want to push the shadows a large amount (certain types of high dynamic range landscape photography that you can't do HDR on) or anything you needed more than 22mp (very detailed prints larger than 24") or 6fps for.

Overall, I think it's the best balanced camera for everything. It's got enough of everything that it'd do a competent job and you'd need to be into a particular genre to need more.

Mar 25, 2013 at 05:39 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

darryn patch wrote:
I've decided that I am going to grab a 5DIII, however looking through copious threads I read more of what situations I can't shoot than what I can shoot or more correctly what camera will do it better than a 5DIII

I was initially going to grab a 1DsIII but it appears the AF in the 5D is as good if not better than the DsIII. So that settled the decision for me I loved he AF on 1D series.

Can I shoot the following with a 5DIII

Surfing
surfscapes
football
soccer
golf
golf course landscapes
architecture as in holiday snaps etc.
sunsets
sunrises
wildlife

Thats about all I'll do, I
...Show more

According to one 1DX owner on the POTN forum you cant shoot planes at an airshow, you need a 1DX for that because the 5D3 af just isn't good/consistent enough. So...as long as you avoid panning with flying aircraft you can shoot anything up to 6fps

*Seriously he did complain that he couldn't achieve consistent focus with his 5D3 at an airshow and he appears to be an excellent photographer (when using a 1DX only ).*

Mar 25, 2013 at 05:50 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

darryn patch wrote:
Can I shoot the following with a 5DIII Surfing surfscapes football soccer golf golf course landscapes architecture as in holiday snaps etc. sunsets sunrises wildlife [...] So what can't I shoot?

You can shoot all of that with a 5D3.
You can shoot all of that with a ten year old 10D or an 8 year old 350D Rebel.

The biggest limitation with all of them is the photographer. Do not fret. The 5D3 gives you lots of room to grow as a photographer.

You can't shoot underwater with any of them unless you get an underwater housing.

Mar 25, 2013 at 05:54 AM
darryn patch
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

Oh Loordy panning aircraft

hell they'd be easy its not like they are travelling AT you, they travel accross you and the AF should be ample, hell I used to pan V8 super cars from 100m doing 300Kmph across me using the original D30 some 10 years ago.

How about some sports photogs put up some sports images??

Mar 25, 2013 at 05:57 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

You essentially answer your own question. If you want to see sports shots, try browsing the sports forum. Though I would imagine most dedicated sports shooters are going to have a faster FPS body.

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:08 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

Darryn,

A simple review of your interests suggests the 5D III is most likely the best choice. The question at this point is how much of your time is devoted to each of them? If sports represents the majority of your shooting, the answer lies with higher FPS bodies. Photography is an exercise in compromise. You have to make the call.

Regards,
Matt

Mar 25, 2013 at 08:09 AM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

I was being semi sarcastic, Why?? well everytime a camera is talked about its about its deficiencies but those deficiencies account for probably less than 1% of the typical users requirements. I am hard pressed to see anything wrong with the 5D especially if it has AF inline with the 1D series bodies?

There are alot of very negative people out there. The internet gave them all a place to be heard. Most of them will never be happy.

Mar 25, 2013 at 08:48 AM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

Well it should be obvious, if you read enough Internet threads, that the 5diii is incapable of taking a picture in any of the situations above because the 1dx and/or d800 is obviously better. So rather than disappoint itself the 5diii simply locks up and sends the user an error indicating which camera would be better suited for the purpose. I hear it also does the same thing if you mount anything less than a $3000 lens on the front of it.

Mar 25, 2013 at 09:13 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

darryn patch wrote:

Actually, all Canon DSLR's is pure and utterly rubbish lately, it is not confined to the 5D!

Mar 25, 2013 at 09:17 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

darryn patch wrote:
Oh Loordy panning aircraft

hell they'd be easy its not like they are travelling AT you, they travel accross you and the AF should be ample, hell I used to pan V8 super cars from 100m doing 300Kmph across me using the original D30 some 10 years ago.

How about some sports photogs put up some sports images??

I'm with you on this one! I'm pretty sure even a Rebel KISS thingy (350D?) could track a flying aircraft consistently... When I first started photography I had one and took it to the Le Mans 24 race in 2007. Not one out of focus image of high speed race cars. I'd wager my 5D3 that it would provide 99.9% focus accuracy at an airshow, providing I did my part

A few months back I was shooting Canada Geese flying towards me off the water in mist. On scene I was thinking the 5D3 (70-200 ii + 1.4 x ext) wasn't tracking well enough. A few things corrected me. My friend shooting a Nikon D300S/70-200 f/2.8 VR combo got one shot in focus. Some of my shots that were OOF were actually within the focus limited 2.5m mfd! Added to that almost all the OOF images were my fault; I had failed to keep the AF point on target. In reality I got a pretty good hit rate under the circumstances, and thats mainly down to the excellent 5D3 AF

Mar 25, 2013 at 09:33 AM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

darryn patch wrote:
well everytime a camera is talked about its about its deficiencies

not by the owners my friends....

I have mine @ canon for a in warranty clean & check and the used my wifes t2i last few days. It is easy to forget how good 5DIII is when you use it everyday.

Mar 25, 2013 at 09:38 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

Bones74 wrote:
According to one 1DX owner on the POTN forum you cant shoot planes at an airshow, you need a 1DX for that because the 5D3 af just isn't good/consistent enough. So...as long as you avoid panning with flying aircraft you can shoot anything up to 6fps

*Seriously he did complain that he couldn't achieve consistent focus with his 5D3 at an airshow and he appears to be an excellent photographer (when using a 1DX only ).*

Actually FPS can be of help when shooting very slow shutter speed hand held pans. I can easily get no keepers on my 4fps 1Ds2, but have 2 or 3 keepers on the 7D in the same situation. I don't know if this is what the chap on POTN is referring to? 6 fps may get you at least one though!

Mar 25, 2013 at 09:49 AM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

You won't be able to shoot any of that stuff when the next new and WAY better camera body comes out. You will have to upgrade.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM
rrxjon
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What can't I shoot with a 5DIII

Below is a (quick n dirty) composite of a three frame burst from the 5D3 @ 12.8k ISO. OTOH, in the same half second burst a 1D4 would give you 2 more frames to choose from, and the 1Dx 3 more. Of course, xperience has shown that FPS is no guarantee of that elusive "ideal" frame either, but does provide the luxury of more choices. Extended action though (surfing?) might clog the buffer on 5D3.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.