Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 5DMKIII does MX

onesickpuppy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 5DMKIII does MX

Just got my new 5DMKIII....and a friend asked if I wanted to shoot some MX action. What better way to break in the new toy!!

Just a few quick samples....I'm really impressed with the focus system. Very solid.

Shot with the 24-70 2.8 vs II

onesickpuppy 2013

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    67mm    f/9.0    1/160s    100 ISO    +1.0 EV  

onesickpuppy 2013

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    67mm    f/11.0    1/160s    100 ISO    +0.7 EV  

onesickpuppy 2013

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    61mm    f/10.0    1/160s    100 ISO    +1.0 EV  

onesickpuppy 2013

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    65mm    f/11.0    1/160s    100 ISO    +1.0 EV  

onesickpuppy 2013

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    70mm    f/9.0    1/160s    100 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Mar 25, 2013 at 04:26 AM
CW100
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 5DMKIII does MX

onesickpuppy wrote:
Just got my new 5DMKIII....and a friend asked if I wanted to shoot some MX action. What better way to break in the new toy!!

Just a few quick samples....I'm really impressed with the focus system. Very solid.

Shot with the 24-70 2.8 vs II

the focus system is good but those all look like they have motion blur, -- for motorcross action you need way more than 1/160 shutter speed !

Mar 25, 2013 at 09:55 AM
onesickpuppy
• • •
p.1 #3 · 5DMKIII does MX

Very true...but it's subjective...I do have some that are razor sharp at 1600th sec.....but with these I was trying to keep at the edge to allow for "motion blur"
thanks for the comment

Mar 25, 2013 at 01:23 PM
AussieTimmeh

p.1 #4 · 5DMKIII does MX

Nice shots, new toys are always fun. I do agree with CW100 in that for me the shots need to be sharper on the rider. My eye keeps hunting around the frame for the focal point and I end up moving to the next photo.

Thanks for sharing.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #5 · 5DMKIII does MX

I will subjectively disagree, as I'm sure most will. You rarely want to freeze the tires on an action motorcross/motorsports shot. I might have gone with 1/200 but not much faster and may have used 1/160 myself depending on the speed of the bikes. What I would have liked to seen was a better choice of backgrounds in the images. Those light standards are distracting.

Congrats on the new toy.

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:29 AM
onesickpuppy
• • •
p.1 #6 · 5DMKIII does MX

Overall...yes, slightly sharper on the rider....again...maybe 200th sec

Background....most definitely...but many of the jumps would have been back lit or harsh
side lighting....moved several times to try to eliminate background junk...these represent some of the cleaner ones.

Mar 26, 2013 at 01:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #7 · 5DMKIII does MX

Good looking stuff! I like the wheel motion, and on my iPad they generally look sharp enough. I presume on closer inspection such as my 21 inch PC monitor I would see the motion blur. It's certainly subjective and a balancing act too. I have generally kept my shutter speeds high since I am trying to capture a "sellable" shot of every single rider, so I need it to be sharp the first time.

Great shooting with you Rod! I am done processing(finally!) and wil be sorting to my website tonight.

I have a few that I will be processing more, but the "safe shots" are done. 900+ images uploaded, sheesh! I will post a few soon...

Paul

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:11 AM
onesickpuppy
• • •
p.1 #8 · 5DMKIII does MX

Thanks Paul.......yes...it was a great time.
It allowed to evaluate the 5DMKIII...and still needs some tweaking to get where I want it.

On the "softness" the originals look better...but some is due to being small JPG's and YES...there is a slight softness due to 160th..but originals look very sell-able!!

Mar 28, 2013 at 05:41 AM
Berkyboy
• •
p.1 #9 · 5DMKIII does MX

onesickpuppy

If your objective was shooting "motion blur" MX photos using 160th of a second exposure at a focal length between 61 and 70mm I guess you accomplished your goals.

I don't mean to come off to harsh but to me all but the first photo are nothing more than motion blur snapshoots, which suffer mostly due to very "busy" backgorunds, but like you said you were trying out your new camera and I'll cut you some slack.

If you want to learn the most effective way to shoot sports images that have impact, which translates into more "sellable" images, watch the following video / interview with Getty photogapher Adam Pretty from last summer's Olympics.

http://www.today.com/id/46952788/vp/48587194#48587194

What you'll learn from the video is to start thinking in reverse, in this order "interesting background, interesting lighting and finally interesting subject."

Regardless of what your subject is, or what shutter speed or aperture you choose, you need to be in control of the backgounds if you want you photos to stand out.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:20 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #10 · 5DMKIII does MX

A little more SS, and better panning & BG's will help these greatly...

Apr 04, 2013 at 01:05 AM
onesickpuppy
• • •
p.1 #11 · 5DMKIII does MX

Yep....my bad for posting the images chosen. Learned my lesson......

Apr 04, 2013 at 02:01 AM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #12 · 5DMKIII does MX

Interesting link BerkyBoy - along with your comment about shooting I was surprised to hear the Getty chief photographer is 35 years old, and has already been to 5 summer Olympics.

Apr 04, 2013 at 03:58 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password