Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 1DX Focus Settings for Birds in Flight

jafant

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 1DX Focus Settings for Birds in Flight

I have had my 1DX for about 6 weeks and am very pleased with the focusing. I have been using mostly Case 1 with very good results. I haven't had a lot of opportunities for BIF due to the cold rainy spring but am heading for Florida in the middle of April and was wondering what case settings you BIF experts were using. Also comments on the focus priority settings would be helpful. I will be using the 600mm II, my series I 500MM and the 400mmf5.6. Thanks in advance.

Mar 25, 2013 at 03:18 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 1DX Focus Settings for Birds in Flight

Normally on my 5D III I use case 2 rather than case 1 for easier subjects, and depending on the size, speed and erraticity(?) of the subject I will use case 4 or 6 or a custom version of them.

Mar 25, 2013 at 08:40 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #3 · 1DX Focus Settings for Birds in Flight

Where’s the button with symbol of a rabbit running, and one of a turtle?

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · 1DX Focus Settings for Birds in Flight

Check the text in this post

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1199881

and go to his website.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · 1DX Focus Settings for Birds in Flight

I use center focus point, left and right helper points, servo AIF and case 2. I shoot 90%+ with the 800 and those settings and it works great for me.

Here is an example of an extremely fast bird shot with that setup

Tim

Canon EOS-1D X    EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM lens    800mm    f/7.1    1/1600s    2000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:39 PM
robinlee
• •
p.1 #6 · 1DX Focus Settings for Birds in Flight

Sunny Sra wrote:
Check the text in this post

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1199881

and go to his website.

We need to pay for that, yes...

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · 1DX Focus Settings for Birds in Flight

robinlee wrote:

I guess. He spent time putting it together...and his work shows he knows what he is talking about..so if you have to pay...pay...just like you do for school/food/nice dinners/camera and lenses ....no one said its a cheap hobby

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · 1DX Focus Settings for Birds in Flight

Tim Kuhn wrote:
I use center focus point, left and right helper points, servo AIF and case 2. I shoot 90%+ with the 800 and those settings and it works great for me.

Here is an example of an extremely fast bird shot with that setup

Tim

That is one really fast bird, particularly when it rides the wind.....I estimated 80-90 mph I've seen them do with some wind help.

A fine shot, Tim.

Edited on Mar 26, 2013 at 12:45 AM · View previous versions

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:35 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · 1DX Focus Settings for Birds in Flight

jafant wrote:
I have had my 1DX for about 6 weeks and am very pleased with the focusing. I have been using mostly Case 1 with very good results. I haven't had a lot of opportunities for BIF due to the cold rainy spring but am heading for Florida in the middle of April and was wondering what case settings you BIF experts were using. Also comments on the focus priority settings would be helpful. I will be using the 600mm II, my series I 500MM and the 400mmf5.6. Thanks in advance.

If you are happy with the Case 1, then stay with it. Experiment a bit on your own, see what you get. That's the best way to refine your settings, and also have fun in the process.

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · 1DX Focus Settings for Birds in Flight

PetKal wrote:
That is one really fast bird, particularly when it rides the wind.....I estimated 80-90 mph I've seen them do with some wind help.

A fine shot, Tim.

They ARE smoking fast, thank you Peter.

Tim

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:54 AM
jafant

p.1 #11 · 1DX Focus Settings for Birds in Flight

Thanks guys. I had a 5DIII before the 1DX which was stolen from my car in January. I went back and looked at my images from Florida last year and I indeed was using case 2 as well. Will try case 2 with 1DX this weekend. Does anyone have the link to Arash's website where he is selling his AF guide?

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #12 · 1DX Focus Settings for Birds in Flight

robinlee wrote:

Arash Hazeghi has to have lost a lot of respect from his poorly thought out "PAy ME PAy ME" approach. And its poor implementation makes it even worse.

I was kind of surprised but very disappointed by Arash Hazeghi doing this charging and emailing pdfs. His site doesn't even show the price he wants. At least it doesn't show on my screen. So who in their right mid would click to pay without any idea of how much he is asking?

And then he's trying to "SEND 17 megabyte pdfs by Email" That's a pretty stupid thing. Even with my pro-level email systems, we always require only reasonable sized attachments. This was not a very well thought out approach.

So don't waste your time with this guy Arash Hazeghi.

Mar 26, 2013 at 05:10 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · 1DX Focus Settings for Birds in Flight

Tim Kuhn wrote:
They ARE smoking fast, thank you Peter.

Tim

Today, I had three different speedsters ride the wind pretty close to where I was standing. Although they didn't exactly buzz me, I could hear the wings whooshing. Common Merganser, Bufflehead, and Longtail. They flew by so fast that I didn't even have a chance to lift my camera/lens to my eye, I just watched them in amazement as they disappeared into the blue yonder above lake Ontario. I love observing those little guys even when I can not photograph them.

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:42 PM
Don7x17

p.1 #14 · 1DX Focus Settings for Birds in Flight

Sunny Sra wrote:
I guess. He spent time putting it together...and his work shows he knows what he is talking about..so if you have to pay...pay...just like you do for school/food/nice dinners/camera and lenses ....no one said its a cheap hobby

I agree with you -- if you want it, you need to pay Arash for his work, no differently than Artie, E J Pieker, Robert O'toole, Alan Murphy, Tim Grey, Luminous Landscape site, etc etc. They've put in the time and effort. They sacrificed their shooting time to write it up so others could read it. Only a fool would expect them to give their work for free.

Either one can afford an additional $40 or, if not, then don't buy it. Instead go ahead and figure it out for yourself.

As for specious complaints about using direct email downloads for large files, I know that Alan Murphy and Artie ship similar file sizes using this method. No problems receiving it here. Both my home DSL and the T1's at work seem to receive these with no big problem. Now if I was on a tablet or iphone, and just using the phone company for download, that would be a different story.

Frankly I have seen a lot of Ari's images and find them spectacular. It should be a no brainer to learn from him by paying to download his experience. And I've photographed with Ari, Doug Brown, Jim Neiger, and Artie -- and find Arash to be in that small group of great bird photographers.

Don
1DX, 2x1Div,800,600II,500II,400DO,300, etc etc

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:24 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password