Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Small Portable LCD Field Monitor For D800

jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Small Portable LCD Field Monitor For D800

Many times taking stills out in the field either the tripod-mounted camera is in an awkward position to see the rear LCD screen or the sun is in a bad spot - thus making it hard to either see menus/settings or use live view for critical focusing.

Anyone know of a decent lower-cost solution to having a portable, light, small-enough LCD that is high enough resolution for live view focusing. Since it's in the field battery power is a must.

Thanks -

John

Mar 25, 2013 at 02:31 AM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Small Portable LCD Field Monitor For D800

I have a CamRanger that I can use with my iPhone remotely. Its perfect. You can also use it with iPad for even larger image viewing. It's a bit $$ but worth every penny if you use itů. I have tried to use it, but find it more than I need most times.

Mar 25, 2013 at 03:06 AM
Steve464

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Small Portable LCD Field Monitor For D800

There are a number of apps for Android pads, Helicon Remote is the first one that comes to mind

Mar 25, 2013 at 03:19 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Small Portable LCD Field Monitor For D800

Steve464 wrote:
There are a number of apps for Android pads, Helicon Remote is the first one that comes to mind

Thanks - I was likely to get an Android pad soon anyways.

John

Mar 25, 2013 at 04:10 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Small Portable LCD Field Monitor For D800

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:28 PM
edinthedesert

p.1 #6 · Small Portable LCD Field Monitor For D800

jhinkey wrote:
Anyone else have any suggestions?

I just set up a MS Surface Pro 128 for my portable photo work. Very fast with the USB 3.0 port to connect the D800's USB 3.0 connector or a USB hub to connect to a USB 3.0 media reader or my track ball or when at home a USB 3.0 LAN adapter for fast connection to my other online computers. Beautiful screen with good color rendition and resolution.

I currently have PS CS6, LR4, DXO Optics Pro 8, Capture NX2, Helicon Remote/Focus, ControlMyNikon, Open Office as well as several other programs I normally use like Outlook and One Note. It boots in less than 10 seconds (including PW input) and I have it set up to boot and look just like my other Win7 Ultimate computers or I can use the Win8 metro if I choose.

I still have plenty of storage available which includes using the microSDXC card slot for additional memory that can be changed.

The only negative for me is that it has less battery life from a full charge compared to some other tablets but 5 hours is plenty for me as most of my work will be in a hotel room or cabin.

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:34 AM
saelee
• •
p.1 #7 · Small Portable LCD Field Monitor For D800

One of the problem with wireless is the lag. I haven't seen any wireless system that does not have any delay. If you are working on a still subject, it maybe fine but anything else you may have problem. Differently not when it comes to video.

I really wish the cell phone company would just make a video input or someone hack the hardware of a cellphone and allow video input.

Since I haven't seen any, a "cheap" popular solution from the video group is the Lilliput monitor. They have a bunch of different version and in each version they have different specs as well. You said you wanted the ability to use it to help you focus, look for one with the "focus peak".

For $230 shipped from amazon you can get the Lilliput 5d-ll/p.
http://www.amazon.com/Lilliput-5D-II-Monitor-PEAKING-Canon/dp/B007CGQ6TY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1364268679&sr=8-3&keywords=lilliput+5d

The Lilliput 663 is the latest version, it has a higher resolution monitor and is an IPS display, but it cost a lot more.
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Lilliput-663-1280x800-Peaking/dp/B00B9IAD9U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364268771&sr=1-1&keywords=lilliput+ips

Also this field monitor use the SONY F970 battery, the generic one could be bought for about $25 and last for a long time.

I don't work for Lilliput or amazon, I am also in the market for a field monitor as well and Lilliput seems to be the best bang for the $$$.

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:36 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Small Portable LCD Field Monitor For D800

Steve464 wrote:

Do I need to have a screen resolution on the Android pad equal to or greater than the LCD screen on the D800 for this to work well?

Thanks - John

Mar 26, 2013 at 05:34 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Small Portable LCD Field Monitor For D800

Well, I just bought a Galaxy Tab 7.7 which should hopefully work well - not too big, but not too small of a screen. I'll give Helicon Remote a try once the tablet get's upgraded to ICS if it's not already when I get it next week.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

John

Mar 28, 2013 at 09:23 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Small Portable LCD Field Monitor For D800

Tbh I could live with a tablet with HDMI in, unfortunately the trend seems to be less and less ports and towards internet only devices.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Small Portable LCD Field Monitor For D800

Well, I ended up buying the Galaxy 7.7 Tab more for work reasons than anything else. So we'll give it a go. Hopefully ICS will be loaded on it when it comes.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:04 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Small Portable LCD Field Monitor For D800

My Galaxy Tab 7.7 just came - gorgeous screen! It came with ICS installed, which is great. I'll load up Helicon Remote this weekend and give it a go with the D800.

I need to find a way to secure my Tab to the tripod leg or around my neck in some way.

- John

Apr 03, 2013 at 02:28 AM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.1 #13 · Small Portable LCD Field Monitor For D800

I tried going the tablet route, bought a Nexus 10 and Nexus 7 to see which I liked best. Returned both quickly. Because developers are too lazy to make higher/different resolution assets such as icons for these new high-DPI screens, everything is scaled (often to odd amounts, 166% in the case of the Nexus 10) and that scaling can't be disabled. Focus confirmation on the giant, 299 ppi Nexus 10 screen was worse than on my D700's built-in LCD

Apr 03, 2013 at 06:14 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Small Portable LCD Field Monitor For D800

Well I installed helicon remote on my tab 7.7, hooked it up to my D800 and it worked great.
The live view capability works really well.

The screen on the Tab 7.7 is gorgeous and I have no problems with icons and such.

John

Apr 04, 2013 at 06:14 AM
DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #15 · Small Portable LCD Field Monitor For D800

Wouldn't a small mirror held up to the LCD have worked at little or no expense?

Apr 04, 2013 at 03:29 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Small Portable LCD Field Monitor For D800

DaveOls wrote:
Wouldn't a small mirror held up to the LCD have worked at little or no expense?

No as I'd still have to get really close to the body to see the image on the mirror.

Apr 04, 2013 at 04:12 PM
Scott Grant
• • •
p.1 #17 · Small Portable LCD Field Monitor For D800

jhinkey wrote:
Well I installed helicon remote on my tab 7.7, hooked it up to my D800 and it worked great.
The live view capability works really well.

The screen on the Tab 7.7 is gorgeous and I have no problems with icons and such.

John

I have Helicon Remote installed but thought i would need a USB OTG adaptor to hook it up to the D800. Is this what you did? Thanks in advance!

Apr 04, 2013 at 04:41 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Small Portable LCD Field Monitor For D800

Scott Grant wrote:
I have Helicon Remote installed but thought i would need a USB OTG adaptor to hook it up to the D800. Is this what you did? Thanks in advance!

Yes I bought a USB OTG adapter and then used the USB cable that came with my D800.

Only had a chance to play around with it for 15minutes or so, but it seemed to work really well and appears it will be very useful for tripod work.

Apr 04, 2013 at 04:51 PM
Scott Grant
• • •
p.1 #19 · Small Portable LCD Field Monitor For D800

Awesome! Will order ASAP.

Thanks J!

Apr 04, 2013 at 05:05 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Small Portable LCD Field Monitor For D800

Quick question for the experts here at FM: any recommendation for a 7 or 8 inches Android-tablet for Helicon Remote use (the Galaxy Tab 7.7 is not available here)?
Many thanks in advance!

May 06, 2013 at 12:01 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password