Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · UWA for crop bodies

Kyyo24
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · UWA for crop bodies

im kinda stuck on which lens to choose, between the tokina 11-16 f2.8 and the tokina 12-24 f4. its main use will be for landscape and the maybe disneyland (have annual passes so i go quite frequently). i currently have a tamron 17-50 and a tamron 28-70 so i could go with either tokina and sell one of my tamrons. right now i use my 17-50 more, only because its the widest lens i own. i like the 2.8 from the 11-16, which would be better at disneyland, especially for indoor rides...and i dont take a tripod there so it would be handheld but other than that it would mostly be on a tripod and stopped down so it would defeat the purpose of having one that fast. anyone wanna throw in their opinions? and no i dont plan on moving to ff anytime soon and i shoot with nikon

Mar 25, 2013 at 02:28 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · UWA for crop bodies

I think both of those lenses will work. I had a tokina 12-24 lens and loved it. I sold it when I moved to FF.
Harsha

Mar 25, 2013 at 02:35 AM
Derek Weston
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · UWA for crop bodies

2.8 on an UWA rocks. Plus... 11 is better than 12.

No doubt 11-16 for that pick.

Mar 25, 2013 at 02:39 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · UWA for crop bodies

The tokina 11-16 is great unless your shooting into sun a lot - seems to have flare issues.

Mar 25, 2013 at 02:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ucphotog
• •
p.1 #5 · UWA for crop bodies

Here's a factor to consider: There is no overlap between the 11-16 and the 17-50. For increasing coverage, that is an advantage, but if you use the 17-24 range in a lot of different environments and wanted to save lens changes, a bit of overlap *might* be an advantage. You can then get to it from either side.

If you just to increase your coverage into a new range, then that obviously isn't an issue.

Mar 25, 2013 at 03:54 AM
Kyyo24
• •
p.1 #6 · UWA for crop bodies

theres also no overlap between the 12-24 and 28-70 though either and id have that 17-24 range. i can really go either route which is where im stuck. if the 12-24 was a 2.8 it wouldnt be that hard to choose. i know they make them but were talking an extra $1000. i dont mind lens changing, thats why we buy a dslr right? i also have a 70-200, so with the 12-24 id have the entire range of 12-200 covered.

edit- if i went the 11-16 route I might sell the 28-70 which would leave a gap of 50-70

Mar 25, 2013 at 04:11 AM
BoneCounter

p.1 #7 · UWA for crop bodies

Checking in to post some more love for the Tokina 11-16. I haven't used any other UWA zooms, but from my experience with this one it sure seems like a tough one to beat, especially for the money. I got a like-new version I copy here on FM for about $475 and occasionally see them even cheaper.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Kyyo24
• •
p.1 #8 · UWA for crop bodies

despite what everyone said about the 11-16, i found a screaming deal on a 12-24 in great condition. it was too good to pass up so i went that route instead. first i have to say is holy crap!! this lens is sharp!!! even wide open. ive only done a few hand held shots wide open. i cant wait to see what this lens is really capable of on a tripod and stopped down with some PP

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password