Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

scottam10
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

Ben Horne wrote:
Lens Pen make one specifically for cleaning sensors. It's a wonderful tool, and does an excellent job picking the stuff that swabs leave behind. It's also useful for picking up oil and other things that swabs tend to smear. I've cleaned hundreds of cameras, and the Lens Pen sensor klear is my secret weapon. :-)

Good to know, I've only ever seen the regular lens pens. I'll have to check those out

Mar 27, 2013 at 07:43 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

Hi, recently a friend of mine had a 5D classic and a 5D2 cleaned "professionally" (dry and wet cleaned). She told me there were still spots and I put the 16-35mm lens on it shot at the sky @ 16mm and f22 and closest focus and the result was MUCH MUCH worse than what your images showed although there were only spots. I did not see any visible lines.

I did the same test with my 5D3 and it was pretty much perfect and I have NEVER cleaned that camera. Ever. And have used it for a year including an 8 day camping trip and countless lens changes even some with live view on.

So that leads me to believe that the cleaning system of the 5D3 is effective and or it is not as dust magnet as the 5Dc and 5D2.

I know the 1Ds3 also attracts dust and the sensor cleaning really doesnt work nowhere near as good as the one in the 5D3. Dont know what Canon did in the 5D3 but trhey really fixed the dust on sensor issue. It has been a HUGE timesaver for me.

That said, Your sensor doesn't look too bad at all. Contact the seller but if you got the camera at a good price I would just try to clean it a bit more and it should all be fine.

I have used the Lens Pen many times and can testify it works great. Just be careful using it and it should all be fine.

Mar 27, 2013 at 08:46 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

Sneakyracer wrote:
...I have used the Lens Pen many times and can testify it works great. Just be careful using it and it should all be fine.

I hope you mean the Sensor Klear by Lens Pen, and not an actual Lens Pen.

Mar 27, 2013 at 09:20 PM
ange
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

Before and after of probably my worse sensor so far. This was after shooting 2 controlled burn seasons. I missed a couple of spots, but I can't complain...considering. :-)

http://photos.imageevent.com/ajrphotos/picsinprogress/sIMG_1618.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/ajrphotos/picsinprogress/sIMG_1633.jpg

Andy

Mar 27, 2013 at 09:39 PM
Kim Kaiser
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

i would send back asap, no cleaning, it could be dust, some sort of greasy material that won't come off,, or scratched, 2 of three out comes are bad,, wouldn't take chance,, it will worry you every time you shoot,

Mar 28, 2013 at 08:40 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

BrianO wrote:
I hope you mean the Sensor Klear by Lens Pen, and not an actual Lens Pen.

ooops, yeah, thats what I meant

Mar 28, 2013 at 08:55 PM
y2nicco
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

Kim Kaiser wrote:
i would send back asap, no cleaning, it could be dust, some sort of greasy material that won't come off,, or scratched, 2 of three out comes are bad,, wouldn't take chance,, it will worry you every time you shoot,

What chance am I taking by trying to clean it before exploring a return, if I have consent of seller?

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:31 PM
ange
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

I guess if the seller is reputable and you show him the before pictures that you posted and he agrees to take it back if those lines that we are talking about (scratches?) are still there and unchanged, then it should be worth a try.

Andy

Mar 29, 2013 at 09:15 AM
y2nicco
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

Monito had it pegged. Although the sensor cleaned up rather nicely, the scratches remained. The seller, being the standup person I figured them to be, took it back for a full refund. Thank you everyone for your help and advice!

Apr 02, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

Thanks for the feedback, y2nicco. Sorry you had all the bother, but glad the seller did the responsible thing.

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:41 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.