Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

Monito
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

Thanks for the 100% crops. Unfortunately, there is no clumping as would be expected from dried droplets. You may be fortunate and it turn out to be cleanable, but I would not bet money on that outcome.

It is worth noting that the shape of the parallel lines is proof that the person who previously cleaned the sensor had no idea what they were doing.

A proper cleaning procedure does not clean diagonally and reverse direction part way through. The proper technique is a single swipe per pad across the width of the sensor.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:19 PM
y2nicco
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

Well, I already documented the sensors condition as of now, and have contacted them. I am awaiting a reply... but since it is documented, and I have yet to clean it, I can't really imagine how they will claim that a self-cleaning caused it.

Nevertheless, if the seller will claim that, what is to stop them from saying they sent a clean sensor and that the only reasons that those lines are there is because I already tried to clean it? At the end of the day, if the seller will say that, they will do so whether or not I clean it, right??

Also, he said it was just cleaned by canon. If it was very recent, I can contact canon and share my findings as the shoddy job is something they will be concerned about. I am awaiting information as to when it was cleaned.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:19 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

Could those marks just be streaks+residue from the last wet cleaning, esp. since they seem to be in the shape of a pad stroke.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:38 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

It looks to me like someone did a very poor job of cleaning a sensor that had oil spots on it, smearing the oil in the process. (Note how some of the parallel lines are broken near the tops and then become thinner but continuous near the ends.)

Oil spots on the sensor's cover glass can take several wet cleanings to clear, and if allowed to dry without being totally clean can do just what we see in your images.

It also look like the last person to clean it used too-small of pad/wand, and didn't pull across the sensor in a single stroke, but rather used a small pad or pen and did a semicircular wipe.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:59 PM
ange
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

Like everyone else, I can't really tell if they are scratches or not, but I'm leaning towards streaks from poor wet cleaning. I've had very odd looking streaks before too. I can't add much to resolve this, but here's a site that gives a ton of info on sensor cleaning. I've had some of the most horrid sensors imaginable and have gotten them clean with Eclipse (and even 91% isopropyl alcohol) and pec pads. It's good site to look over no matter what you do. http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

Andy

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:35 PM
y2nicco
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

Thanks for the info! Instead of the pec pads, I went with the precut quikstrips. Don't think it matters much - just more foolproof I suppose

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:43 PM
_SBS_
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

The rocketblower, or any "normal" blower causes static when you blow it on the sensor, and static attracts dust. The anti static blowers do not cause static. I use to use a rocketblower on my sensor but since switching to an anti static blower have seen a marked improvement in cleaning and cleaning time. I still use the rocketblower, for my lenses and to charge my sensor brush.

Hopefully its just bad sensor swiping and can be removed.

I have a camera (450d) with scratches on the sensor that I got for a very very low price at an estate sale. I dont use it myself but loan it out to friends and family members from time to time. I did test it in the studio across the fstop range and didnt notice anything different compared to a non-scratched sensor. I didnt see any of the scratches on the images themselves and nothing like you have pictured here.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

scottam10 wrote:
I would never use a lens pen on a sensor.
- it's very easy to scratch/damage a sensor, so I avoid touching the sensor at all, I only use a blower.

If you want to clean it yourself, I recommend extensive research and using the correct cleaning equipment

Lens Pen make one specifically for cleaning sensors. It's a wonderful tool, and does an excellent job picking the stuff that swabs leave behind. It's also useful for picking up oil and other things that swabs tend to smear. I've cleaned hundreds of cameras, and the Lens Pen sensor klear is my secret weapon. :-)

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

Ben Horne wrote:
Lens Pen make one specifically for cleaning sensors. It's a wonderful tool, and does an excellent job picking the stuff that swabs leave behind. It's also useful for picking up oil and other things that swabs tend to smear. I've cleaned hundreds of cameras, and the Lens Pen sensor klear is my secret weapon. :-)

+1
I have never needed anything other than the sensor pen and that's what Canon techs use.

Mar 25, 2013 at 02:00 AM
ange
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

y2nicco wrote:
Thanks for the info! Instead of the pec pads, I went with the precut quikstrips. Don't think it matters much - just more foolproof I suppose

That's a good choice. I'll probably get those next time. I don't think they had them when I got the Pec Pads.

Andy

Mar 25, 2013 at 09:36 AM
Guari
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

Ben Horne wrote:

Do you have a link for the sensor lens pen? I only get a hit for the regular cleaning pens..

Thanks

Mar 25, 2013 at 09:49 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

Guari wrote:
Do you have a link for the sensor lens pen? I only get a hit for the regular cleaning pens.

http://www.lenspen.com/?cPath=&products_id=SK-1-a&tpid=146

Mar 25, 2013 at 01:35 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

Looks to me like the previous owner tried to clean the dust spots and made the problem worse by inadvertently adding those streaks. A professional/careful clean should see you right. No Stress

Mar 25, 2013 at 02:58 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

y2nicco wrote:

Please keep us updated on what the marks turn out to be and how this develops. I'm interested to see if my analysis has merit and if you are able to get a refund or even need a refund.

Mar 25, 2013 at 03:22 PM
ebiggs
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

I would return it. You really can't do anything to it and than find out it is indeed scratched as someone else stated, the seller can accuse you of scratching it.
The only safe course is to return it. There are more cameras, this is not the last one.

Mar 25, 2013 at 04:58 PM
ebiggs
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

I would return it. You really can't do anything to it and than find out it is indeed scratched as someone else stated, the seller can accuse you of scratching it.
The only safe course is to return it. There are more cameras, this is not the last one.

Mar 25, 2013 at 04:58 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

Any news, y2nicco?

Mar 27, 2013 at 04:42 PM
y2nicco
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

Not yet - sensor cleaning package was sent today, should have by Friday or Saturday I hope.

Mar 27, 2013 at 04:44 PM
Glenn NK
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

BrianO wrote:
It looks to me like someone did a very poor job of cleaning a sensor that had oil spots on it, smearing the oil in the process. (Note how some of the parallel lines are broken near the tops and then become thinner but continuous near the ends.)

Oil spots on the sensor's cover glass can take several wet cleanings to clear, and if allowed to dry without being totally clean can do just what we see in your images.

It also look like the last person to clean it used too-small of pad/wand, and didn't pull across the sensor in a
...Show more

Good observations, and I have rarely seen a sensor that bad.

The 5D is a classic dust collector. Anyone owning one MUST learn how to clean - it's a fact of life with the 5DC. A thorough blowing is the first step though. Many use the Artic Butterfly and claim it works very well.

I'm a bit concerned that the dealer said it was cleaned - they are either not terribly knowledgeable or are somewhat on the other side of upstanding.

Glenn

Mar 27, 2013 at 05:51 PM
y2nicco
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Please help - is my sensor damaged/dirty?

The seller is reputable, he has documentation to show canon cleaned in December. So no need to knock him. In any event, ill keep you all updated!

Mar 27, 2013 at 07:25 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.