Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Shutter count on new body?

campyone
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Shutter count on new body?

ospishus wrote:
Thanks all
I guess that I will have to find a way to get a shutter count on the net, even though they are thought to be suspect by some.
I just find it odd that a new camera wouldn't start at "***0000"

I tried one of the shutter counters on the net, don't remember which one. It told me the shutter on the camera I bought used and had owned for over a year had something like 10 actuations.

Mar 25, 2013 at 04:40 PM
stanj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Shutter count on new body?

trenchmonkey wrote:
The file # is a reflection of the card you put in...there is no correlation to the actual shutter count.
I'll bet if viewed, the first shot taken by you was 1. Post a Jpeg SOOC and we'll tell ya what it is now.

The 5D3 is not known for putting the shutter count in EXIF. The count will show the same as the filename.

Mar 25, 2013 at 04:44 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Shutter count on new body?

oakdog8 wrote:
It's a Mac desktop application....

I was referring to the EOSInfo (Windows only) version....Which does not work with the 5D3, FWIW neither does the Mac version on my MBP.

Mar 25, 2013 at 05:55 PM
ospishus
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Shutter count on new body?

UPDATE
I took Trenchmonkey up on his generous offer and sent a jpeg by email and although he tried three different programs the camera refused to give up its top secret shutter count.
Thanks to all who offered suggestions. It would appear that only Canon can give me a shutter count.
I think I'll just try to think positively and go with it being a new camera...
Peter

Mar 26, 2013 at 01:08 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Shutter count on new body?

Does it look new. Is there any issues with the camera? Any dirt in any of the crevices. If not, what is the issue if it had a few accuations on the shutter. If there was any substantial amount, you would see other signs of use.

Mar 26, 2013 at 01:38 AM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Shutter count on new body?

I heard that the new Focal can give that info. Have not down loaded the new version but I did see the shutter count on my 1Dmk4 on the previous version of Pro.

Mar 26, 2013 at 01:55 AM
ospishus
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Shutter count on new body?

chez wrote:
Does it look new. Is there any issues with the camera? Any dirt in any of the crevices. If not, what is the issue if it had a few accuations on the shutter. If there was any substantial amount, you would see other signs of use.

Not wanting to start a debate on what constitutes a few, but 2600 would put it in the demo or used category in my books. It looks new with the exception of the previously mentioned spec of dirt inside the viewfinder and a couple of dust bunnies on the sensor

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

galenapass
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Shutter count on new body?

I didn't realize finding shutter count information on a 5DIII was so difficult.

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:58 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Shutter count on new body?

I just tried with my FoCal 1.8 and both my 1DX and my 5D3 report the correct number. The 1DX is showing 41,284 and its status display shows <42,000, so that's correct. My 5D3 is listed as 43,450, which I can confirm to be within 100 of being correct (thanks to my slightly OCD bookkeeping efforts )

So I guess yes, FoCal can get it, because it's talking directly to the camera. I can also say that all file-based tools that I have seen have been reporting all over the place for me in the past, so I would not trust them at all.

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:30 AM
AlexDROP
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Shutter count on new body?

I've checked EXIF info of all 3 versions of 5D-series cameras and non of them contains shutter count/image number info or even a devoted tag. A pity!
So it really seems the only way to check sutter actuations number is to send the camera to canon service.

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:51 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Shutter count on new body?

stanj wrote:
I just tried with my FoCal 1.8 and both my 1DX and my 5D3 report the correct number. The 1DX is showing 41,284 and its status display shows <42,000, so that's correct. My 5D3 is listed as 43,450, which I can confirm to be within 100 of being correct (thanks to my slightly OCD bookkeeping efforts )

So I guess yes, FoCal can get it, because it's talking directly to the camera. I can also say that all file-based tools that I have seen have been reporting all over the place for me in the past, so I would not trust
...Show more

+1

I have also checked my bodies with FoCal and it's working. I belive it's the first one that is really good. There where some "bug" for the 1D3 with the new version. I don't know if that's fixed or not.

Mar 26, 2013 at 09:15 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Shutter count on new body?

FWIW I've set up a couple of hundred 5DIII and had first image numbers all over the place, and a lot of mine came directly from Canon. I do recall one that started wtih "0001" because we remarked how weird that was.

Whether that means the numbers are random or read from previous cards I don't know.

I will also point out that after the camera is assembled, shots have to be taken while they calibrate the lightmeter, the AF module, and some other things.

Maybe I should be a bit nervous about the one camera I had that had a first image # of "0001"
They must have reset it to zero at the factory after the calibrations. Why? Maybe they took 10,000 shots to get the calibrations and didn't want me to know?

BTW - in case any of you aren't paranoid enough about why Canon locked the data in the 5DIII, there's some nice bootleg software that lets you turn on factory repair mode and reset the shutter count to whatever you like: it works on Canon cameras through the 5D II, but not the III or 6D. I've been told Canon was very aware people were turning back shutter counts so maybe that's why they locked up the data now.

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:34 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Shutter count on new body?

RCicala wrote:
FWIW I've set up a couple of hundred 5DIII and had first image numbers all over the place, and a lot of mine came directly from Canon. I do recall one that started wtih "0001" because we remarked how weird that was.

Whether that means the numbers are random or read from previous cards I don't know.

I will also point out that after the camera is assembled, shots have to be taken while they calibrate the lightmeter, the AF module, and some other things.

Maybe I should be a bit nervous about the one camera I had that had
...Show more

But FoCal work with the new bodies (and the old also)

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:38 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Shutter count on new body?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
But FoCal work with the new bodies (and the old also)

That's true - unlike EXIF readers, though, FoCal is actually working through the Canon SDK, not reading jpg data, if I understand correctly.

I'm not sure what they changed, but the bootleg software won't turn on factory mode in the new cameras. In the old it really served no purpose - you couldn't adjust anything since you didn't have the factory interfaces - but it let you change the shutter count and the serial number.

Mar 26, 2013 at 05:16 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password