Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Shutter count on new body?

ospishus
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shutter count on new body?

On Saturday I got a new 5D III body sent from one of the major NYC camera dealers. The dealer went out of their way to expedite the order and sent it UPS 2 day at no charge as they are now closed for Passover celebrations. I unpacked the plain sealed outer shipping box and took the body out of the retail box, charged the battery, set the date and started shooting. The camera appeared new, however there was a speck of dust in the viewfinder and two on the sensor that showed up in the pics. The file numbers didn't start at zero. Have those of you who have bought new, ever had the file numbers start at 1J6A2607? Did I get an open box or a returned body or do the file numbers start at some random number? I can't contact anyone there for the next week and I'm hoping to get an explanation in the meantime.

Mar 24, 2013 at 07:25 PM
PeakPhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shutter count on new body?

Have you tried using one of the shutter actuations counters out on the internet? If you know how many you've taken so far you could subtract it from that.

Mar 24, 2013 at 07:44 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shutter count on new body?

Did you format the card before installing it in the camera?? Otherwise, file numbers will pickup from what was on your previous camera.

This is a very common question.

As noted, you can check on the actual shutter count, the file number is not conclusive.

Mar 24, 2013 at 07:49 PM
ospishus
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shutter count on new body?

Thanks PeakPhoto for the suggestion but unfortunately when I've tried that in the past, I've been denied access for various reasons like being on a Mac or using an unsupported browser like firefox on Windows

Mar 24, 2013 at 07:50 PM
ospishus
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shutter count on new body?

True I didn't format the card but the other files on the card from a 5D II began with IMG

Mar 24, 2013 at 07:53 PM
ospishus
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shutter count on new body?

Okay so I took a card and formatted it in the camera, fired off a few shots and it continues to number the files consecutively

Mar 24, 2013 at 08:32 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shutter count on new body?

ospishus wrote:
True I didn't format the card but the other files on the card from a 5D II began with IMG

Usually that doesn't matter because of how the DCIM naming standard works. Basing the shutter count on the file number is very shaky especially if you share a memory card across bodies.

Mar 24, 2013 at 08:34 PM
ospishus
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shutter count on new body?

Thanks all
I guess that I will have to find a way to get a shutter count on the net, even though they are thought to be suspect by some.
I just find it odd that a new camera wouldn't start at "***0000"

Mar 24, 2013 at 09:11 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shutter count on new body?

ospishus wrote:
Thanks all
I guess that I will have to find a way to get a shutter count on the net, even though they are thought to be suspect by some.
I just find it odd that a new camera wouldn't start at "***0000"

None of mine did, and chances that all have been used for test-drives is pretty slim.

Mar 24, 2013 at 09:48 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shutter count on new body?

Yep, like the others have mentioned, your camera will pick up what was in your card. After that, it wouldn't matter anymore as your camera will memorize it.

But it's true that the prefix of the file name shouldn't be like that, unless someone else put a card that had that prefix in it. Maybe it's possible that someone else tried a few shots with a card at the store.

The best way to check now is to use a software like eoscount.com.

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:56 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shutter count on new body?

ospishus wrote:
Thanks PeakPhoto for the suggestion but unfortunately when I've tried that in the past, I've been denied access for various reasons like being on a Mac or using an unsupported browser like firefox on Windows

Try Reveal or Jeffrey's, heck even Picasa (also free) shows the shutter count

Mar 25, 2013 at 08:06 AM

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shutter count on new body?

Did you have to adjust an in-camera clock and set time region? Check your 1st shot from the camera in any EXIF reader and find its frame count number that is supposed to be #...001 in a new camera.

Mar 25, 2013 at 08:34 AM
ospishus
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shutter count on new body?

AlexDROP wrote:
Did you have to adjust an in-camera clock and set time region? Check your 1st shot from the camera in any EXIF reader and find its frame count number that is supposed to be #...001 in a new camera.

Yes I did set the clock, date and region which showed as 00/00/0000 etc.The exif reading of 2607 came from my Mac iPhoto which is what made start to question the body as being new!

Mar 25, 2013 at 09:23 AM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Shutter count on new body?

i bought a new car. it had 18 miles on it. should i return it?

Mar 25, 2013 at 09:32 AM
oakdog8

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Shutter count on new body?

ospishus wrote:

Have you tried this tool: http://astrojargon.net/40DShutterCount.aspx It works on 5D mk II. Should work on III as well, but not 100% sure.

If you're reasonably tech capable, this is an option as well: http://www.twam.info/software/read-out-canon-eos-7d-shuttercount-on-os-x

Mar 25, 2013 at 09:38 AM
DLP
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Shutter count on new body?

oakdog8 wrote:
Have you tried this tool: http://astrojargon.net/40DShutterCount.aspx It works on 5D mk II. Should work on III as well, but not 100% sure.

Does not work on my 5D3 (Windows 7x64, IE).

Mar 25, 2013 at 09:53 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Shutter count on new body?

big country wrote:

Yes, absolutely. I wouldn't stand for that, even for a second!

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM
ospishus
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Shutter count on new body?

big country wrote:

Thanks for the interest, but not the answer to my question

"Have those of you who have bought new, ever had the file numbers start at 1J6A2607? Did I get an open box or a returned body or do the file numbers start at some random number? "

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Shutter count on new body?

The file # is a reflection of the card you put in...there is no correlation to the actual shutter count.
I'll bet if viewed, the first shot taken by you was 1. Post a Jpeg SOOC and we'll tell ya what it is now.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:28 AM
oakdog8

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Shutter count on new body?

DLP wrote:
Does not work on my 5D3 (Windows 7x64, IE).

It's a Mac desktop application....

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:34 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.