Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 430 II flash head blown

deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 430 II flash head blown

I was setting up for a portrait session today when the flash head on my 430II blew. It was on a Yongnuo ETTL trigger on top a light stand and had a fresh set of eneloops in it.

I wasn't firing the flash or testing it at all. It was just sitting there when I heard a loud pop. I went over to the flash, noticed the smell of smoke, and immediately turned it off. When I removed the batteries, they were hot to the touch, but nothing else seemed to be amiss. The flash would actually turn back on, but the head would not charge. The indicator light stayed off and would not show green or red.

After I got home tonight I tested the batteries and all seemed to be putting out normal "fully charged" voltage. There was nothing to indicate they had overcharged.

Any idea what happened here? Any idea what Canon will charge me to fix the flash?

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:33 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #2 · 430 II flash head blown

That's unusual, especially considering you weren't actually firing the flash at the time, from your description it sounds like you hadn't been firing the flash rapidly in the lead-up to failure.

It's odd that the batteries were hot, that indicates high current through the batteries, perhaps there was a short-circuit within the flash (either before or after failure).

A flash failure can be caused by a high trigger voltage, but you weren't actually triggering the flash at the time (I assume you've used the Yongnuo triggers before without issue)

I expect that repair may be uneconomical, but you can always ask

Sorry I can't be more help

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · 430 II flash head blown

The triggers have been used many times before with no issues. It could have been a short circuit of some sort, but there was no debris or moisture inside the battery compartment. Maybe the flash malfunctioned internally?

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · 430 II flash head blown

Once the smoke escapes...it's all over...most of that smoke is, (was), stored in the charging circuit...

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.1 #5 · 430 II flash head blown

For me, Canon replaced the entire Auto Reflector Array for about the cost of a "level 2" labour + parts

All up approximately 2X the cost of a Sensor Clean

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:35 AM
CanonPhotog

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · 430 II flash head blown

Sounds like a failed capacitor in the unit. If the capacitor becomes internally shorted, the batteries will continue to try to charge it and will get hot.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

scottam10
• • •
p.1 #7 · 430 II flash head blown

CanonPhotog wrote:
Sounds like a failed capacitor in the unit. If the capacitor becomes internally shorted, the batteries will continue to try to charge it and will get hot.

That sounds logical, I like that explanation

Mar 25, 2013 at 01:13 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · 430 II flash head blown

Just as an update on this, it turned out to be a corroded power supply... weird. Canon charged me a standard out of warranty labor ($89), plus shipping. With a CPS gold discount, it came to $62.30.

Apr 03, 2013 at 05:54 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · 430 II flash head blown

deepbluejh wrote:
Just as an update on this, it turned out to be a corroded power supply... weird. Canon charged me a standard out of warranty labor ($89), plus shipping. With a CPS gold discount, it came to $62.30.

Well, $62.30 isn't too painful-sounding; much better than having to buy another 430 either new or used.

Any idea what would/could have caused this corrosion?

Apr 04, 2013 at 08:54 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · 430 II flash head blown

No idea... I bought the flash used so there is really no telling what caused it.

Apr 04, 2013 at 09:56 PM
faucets xp

p.1 #11 · 430 II flash head blown

Just not like spending money on Canon.
But honestly speaking, they are good quality ones.

Apr 05, 2013 at 02:25 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password