Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Russia- working out of a car's trunk

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Russia- working out of a car's trunk

Just before the collapse, entrepreneurs worked creatively, and on a small scale.
Set up outside a museum, this man was selling trinkets from the trunk of his car- to people who had some money. Because there was nothing in government stores to buy except things like yellow cabbage and occasionally exotic things like camping spoons, Russian city folk swarmed around businesses like this.
Occasionally they could find something really useful- like toilet paper.

Charlie Shugart 2013

Russia- Selling Trinkets from a Car

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Russia- working out of a car's trunk

Those were the days! Back when a Ruble was worth something (another Ruble).

This was meant to be humoRUS.

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:46 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Russia- working out of a car's trunk

Depressing.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Russia- working out of a car's trunk

Reminds me of what my people are now living.. scarce of items all around, no toilet paper, little food, all for the sake of having populist commies in power... but then it gets too political for this board

Thanks for sharing Charlie..

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:14 AM

douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Russia- working out of a car's trunk

Makes for quick getaways. Good capture showing a slice of life as it was/is?
Douglas

Mar 25, 2013 at 01:43 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Russia- working out of a car's trunk

Thanks Steady, Bob, Guari and Douglas.
I was touring the then USSR for about six weeks just before the Berlin Wall came tumbling down- soon to be followed by the government). So I admittedly learned little about the real goings on.
But I kept my eyes and ears open, and our Russian guides told us many truths about life in the Soviet Union. It WAS a period of "Glasnost," when some freedom of speech was possible without the state police visiting you in the middle of the night.
Much of what they said was shocking- I hadn't realized how seriously and badly the Soviet government had been treating its own people. For the past 50+ years!
I hope things are better now (I suspect they are), but I haven't returned since.
Charlie

Mar 25, 2013 at 09:25 PM
verbiage
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Russia- working out of a car's trunk

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Much of what they said was shocking- I hadn't realized how seriously and badly the Soviet government had been treating its own people. For the past 50+ years!
I hope things are better now (I suspect they are), but I haven't returned since.
Charlie

It was, indeed, pretty bad, but I did find that Soviet guides at that time (and later, possibly still) tended/tend to exaggerate quite a bit. It's not all black and white. In some ways, it has gotten much better (stores were full of stuff by the mid-90s), in others (public safety, and other things) it became much worse. Oh, and the government is still pretty horrid to its (generally much more affluent and better fed) people.

I lived in the Soviet Union and then Russia in the 1980s and 1990s, never went back after 2002.

Nice capture, and definitely a nice slice of the time and place.

S.K.

Mar 25, 2013 at 09:51 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Russia- working out of a car's trunk

Thanks SK for the input, and glad you like the image.
Even allowing for some exaggerations by the Russian guides, things in the USSR were (and certainly HAD been) shockingly grim to a person like me who had never been afraid of my government.
That's the way it should be for everyone, but about half the world's people have never had that right.
Charlie

Mar 26, 2013 at 06:40 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password