Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Carolina Wren...Up close and personal (8)

LandPirate
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Carolina Wren...Up close and personal (8)

Canon T4i/Tamron SP 70-300mm Di VC USD

300mm 1/1000 f/8 ISO 800

I set a bird house on a shelf on the back patio last with the intent to hang it. Well I didn't and the wife reminded me today to hang it. That's when I discovered that a pair of wrens are already building a nest in it and like it just fine where it is. The house is only a few feet from my back door so I was able to get really close up shots.

Hanging with the garden gnome

Mar 24, 2013 at 06:04 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Carolina Wren...Up close and personal (8)

A nice set Mike, and you did get really close ~ Ron

Mar 24, 2013 at 06:18 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Carolina Wren...Up close and personal (8)

nice, wow you did manage to get close!

Mar 24, 2013 at 06:22 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Carolina Wren...Up close and personal (8)

A natural perch would have helped these a bunch, but at least you got close enough to see some good details in the wren. Appears you had some strong light behind the bird to contend with. Good results.

Mar 24, 2013 at 06:22 PM
randysc
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Carolina Wren...Up close and personal (8)

Close you did get! Good start, hopefully he will give you a little more room next time so you can get them all in the frame. #1 is my pick

Randy

Mar 24, 2013 at 06:32 PM
LandPirate
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Carolina Wren...Up close and personal (8)

Like I said, I sat the bird house on a plant shelf just outside the backdoor of my house. I intended to hang it but then forgot. When I went back to hang it there was already a pair of wrens building their nest in it. So I left it alone.

I went to the other side of the house to take pics with the light to my back but the wrens would not approach their house. But if I stand inside my house and lean out they will come and go without hesitation. The down side is that I have to contend with the back light issue.

Anyway, I love getting up close to critters so this was a fun experience.

Mar 24, 2013 at 07:02 PM
Thomas Sanders
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Carolina Wren...Up close and personal (8)

Will be fun to watch their progress
Hope you will keep us updated

Tom

Mar 24, 2013 at 07:13 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Carolina Wren...Up close and personal (8)

nice job on the little wren Mike

Mar 24, 2013 at 07:27 PM
LandPirate
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Carolina Wren...Up close and personal (8)

The wrens were packing that little house full of nesting materials all day. They disappeared in the house about an hour ago.

I've also go 36 nesting compartments full of Purple Martin pairs. And somewhere in the yard is a nest full of cotton tail rabbit babies. I see them running around the yard when I leave for work before dawn.

Mar 24, 2013 at 07:53 PM
KINGOFKNGS
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Carolina Wren...Up close and personal (8)

Nice shots of this BEWICK'S Wren! They look very similar to Carolina Wrens, but there are some notable differences. The Carolinas tend to have a more reddish hue to their brown plumage. Additionally, Bewick's Wrens have longer tails than Carolinas. I've never seen a Bewick's before as they don't live here in Indiana, but I'd sure like to see one when I travel out west!

I really enjoy the sharpness and detailed you've captured in the images.

Ryan

Mar 24, 2013 at 08:37 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Carolina Wren...Up close and personal (8)

Great stuff Mike, you must have tip-toed up to this wee fella, well done.
David

Mar 25, 2013 at 02:15 PM
acjd
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Carolina Wren...Up close and personal (8)

LandPirate wrote:
Like I said, I sat the bird house on a plant shelf just outside the backdoor of my house. I intended to hang it but then forgot. When I went back to hang it there was already a pair of wrens building their nest in it. So I left it alone.

I went to the other side of the house to take pics with the light to my back but the wrens would not approach their house. But if I stand inside my house and lean out they will come and go without hesitation. The down side is that I
...Show more

Your getting closer and better. That's good. To deal with the backlight, just get something to put up some white material, like a white sheet, to block any direct sun - to soften it out. If you are in the house, that's very good. Put out some twigs held up by anything near the bird house to act as a natural perch. As others have said, you really want to get pictures without any manmade objects in the picture. Get a cheapo tripod and long extension cord. Put up an external flash to do some fill light at an angle. Set to HSS. The pictures will get more dimension to them. Best of luck.

Mar 25, 2013 at 03:24 PM
LandPirate
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Carolina Wren...Up close and personal (8)

Thanks AC. Good tips. I'll see what I rig up. Or I'll wait until morning and get proper light from my back.

Now when you say "nothing man made", does this include the gnome?

Mar 25, 2013 at 05:48 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Carolina Wren...Up close and personal (8)

Excuse me, could I see more pix of the Gnome

Hmmm, seems I'll have to get me a Gnome so I can get Wren too

Just weave a few spent well seasoned branches through the feeder bars, they will land and come in to the feeder off those and will give you some good shooting opps before they get to the feeder.

You are doing very good, remember, the closer the subject is to you the less DOF you have, critical focus at the eye is important. Nice bird to have hanging around!
Karl

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:20 PM
LandPirate
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Carolina Wren...Up close and personal (8)

Karl,
Just fair warning, that gnome attracts a lot of wildlife. Some of it you may not welcome. See............

Mar 25, 2013 at 08:27 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.