New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Need some help from expertise

Papathanassiou
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Need some help from expertise

Looks to me like you have the camera pointing down, so the plane of focus is at the wrong angle any way! The distance looks about right though.

Mar 25, 2013 at 05:57 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Need some help from expertise

Imagemaster wrote:
Why would you expect the camera to know what you want it to focus on in that scene? If you had used spot focus on just the bird, there would not be all those other focus points trying to focus on something with more contrast than the bird.

Bingo!

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:02 AM
robinlee
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Need some help from expertise

Based on the discussions, following is what I will do in order to achieve maximum sharpness at the required area:

1. Turn off expandable focus aid and use only 1 focus point, set MA to "0" again to ensure that the previous picture was completely user error as identified by Imagemaster, where the focus trying to focus on more contrasty area.

2. Possible front focused lens - which I have calibrated using DotTune method and hopefully to find out later today (hopefully).

R

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:40 AM
robinlee
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Need some help from expertise

Papathanassiou wrote:
Looks to me like you have the camera pointing down, so the plane of focus is at the wrong angle any way! The distance looks about right though.

Hi Papathanassiou,

You are right the camera was pointing down from a pretty tall hide and I did have a few pictures which show similar focus issues. I hope to do some tests today after work to find out more.

Regards
R

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:41 AM
Papathanassiou
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Need some help from expertise

robinlee wrote:
Based on the discussions, following is what I will do in order to achieve maximum sharpness at the required area:

1. Turn off expandable focus aid and use only 1 focus point, set MA to "0" again to ensure that the previous picture was completely user error as identified by Imagemaster, where the focus trying to focus on more contrasty area.

2. Possible front focused lens - which I have calibrated using DotTune method and hopefully to find out later today (hopefully).

R

I would do all of the above, also try to get lower down or the Robin a little higher though. I have a 500mm F4 that is well calibrated and I find that shooting at F5 is the best on my particular lens, camera combination. Plus it is a bit brighter weather wise today.

Papa.

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:56 AM
robinlee
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Need some help from expertise

I took these on my way from work, pull over, window down, handheld and using the door as stabilizer. Both has similar shutter speed 1/350, ISO 800, F4, IS Off, spot metering, manual exposure, center focusing point selected and focus on the subject head. What I have done in DPP is increasing the exposure value to +1.2 EV and change white balance from AWB to Cloud.

Limitation: Subject head has moved from first to the second photo, where it may have been affecting plane of focus. Camera was not set on tripod and has been taken down from window to change the MA settings which may affect the plane of focus.

First photo with 100% crop consists of similar settings and "0" value in MA
Second photo with 100% crop consists of similar settings and with "+10" value in MA

1st

2nd

Mar 25, 2013 at 02:09 PM
robinlee
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Need some help from expertise

Papathanassiou wrote:
I would do all of the above, also try to get lower down or the Robin a little higher though. I have a 500mm F4 that is well calibrated and I find that shooting at F5 is the best on my particular lens, camera combination. Plus it is a bit brighter weather wise today.

Papa.

Thank you for the advise, I will reassess similar method I have carried out this afternoon in coming Easter break hopefully to get low down on other hides.

Mar 25, 2013 at 02:12 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.